1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '19 13:19
    @sonship said
    Religion, as you posted recently, covers all kinds of people espousing all kinds of ideas. That's what you told us.
    Now you say it is narrow in its parameters. I don't think you can have it both ways.
    If I say

[1] Religion covers many different kinds of beliefs and ideas

and

[2] There is far more to spirituality than just religion

is not having anything "both ways".
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '19 13:21
    @sonship said
    We don't need a PERFECT tag line.
    There's no harm in discussing what would be a better tagline. I haven't used the word "perfect" and I certainly haven't typed it all caps.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '19 13:24
    @sonship said
    General discussion implies to me things such as and including.
    After the words "general discussion of...", we could have a list of a few words that encompasses more [than it currently has] and therefore broadens the scope of topics and ideas that legitimately fall under the title "spirituality".
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Jun '19 13:261 edit
    "Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after."

...should be replaced by

"Debate and general discussion concerning the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things."

How about "Debate and general discussion about the biggest questions of existence, life, meaning, and ultimate realities." ?
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Jun '19 13:301 edit
    @sonship said
    "Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after."

...should be replaced by

"Debate and general discussion concerning the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things."

How about "Debate and general discussion about the biggest questions of existence, life, meaning, and ultimate realities." ?
    The biggest questions of existence are more likely to find an answer in the science forum.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '19 13:35
    @sonship said
    Yes. Good one. Even better than my proposal.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '19 13:37
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    The biggest questions of existence are more likely to find an answer in the science forum.
    I don't think that overlap would matter. KellyJay for example [and other religious people] would take his perceived biggest questions of existence to the Spirituality Forum and people not interested in pseudoscience would take such questions to the Science Forum. A poster like Suzianne would have a foot in both perhaps.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '19 13:40
    @sonship said
    "Debate and general discussion about the biggest questions of existence, life, meaning, and ultimate realities." ?
    I can see debates about what those questions are and how we decide which ones are the biggest among them. Then there'd be debates about "meaning [of life]" and definitions of "reality" and, again, how to decide what "ultimate" means in this context.
  9. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    13 Jun '19 13:56

Removed by poster

10. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    13 Jun '19 13:58
    @sonship said

...should be replaced by

I like this one too. As was previously stated by FMF, I would also suggest letting the discussions themselves spontaneously determine which questions loom largest amongst the participants.

I particularly like the emphasis on ‘questions”. I know it’s counter-intuitive, but questions feed my spirit so much more than do answers.
  11. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    13 Jun '19 14:27
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Science is certainly the tool for narrowing empirical answers to questions of life and existence, but by its method may block opportunities for exploring esoteric ones.
    Philosophy includes both, and keeps open the possibility for other and yet unknown means.

Actually, I question the need for any tag lines at all. Why not let each poster determine where their ideas, thoughts or questions are best presented, in part, as the men’s of discovering the answers.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '19 15:01
    @hakima said
    I particularly like the emphasis on ‘questions”. I know it’s counter-intuitive, but questions feed my spirit so much more than do answers.
    How about...

Spirituality Forum
    for raising questions about the human condition that might not be being addressed on the other forums
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '19 15:04
    @hakima said
    Actually, I question the need for any tag lines at all. Why not let each poster determine where their ideas, thoughts or questions are best presented, in part, as the men’s of discovering the answers.
    If it's taglines that are keeping that motley bunch of Debates Forum people there and not here, then I am all for taglines!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree