1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '19 12:09
    Motion for debate:

"Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after."

...should be replaced by

"Debate and general discussion concerning the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things."

Are you for or against?

[ https://www.redhotpawn.com/board/index.php ]
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '19 12:10
    [P.S. I don't really want to replace it or change it; there is just the potential for an interesting discussion of this, that's all]
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Jun '19 12:35
    @fmf said
    Motion for debate:

"Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after."

...should be replaced by

"Debate and general discussion concerning the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things."

Are you for or against?

What do you mean by “material things” for example?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '19 13:00
    @divegeester said
    What do you mean by “material things” for example?
    Discussion of tangible or physical things without a metaphysical angle or context.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Jun '19 13:04
    @fmf said
    Discussion of tangible or physical things without a metaphysical angle or context.
    Suppose a particular religion or offshoot/denomination was in the news for, say fraud. Would that be excluded?

This is what I’m trying to get at ~ would religion related it non-metaphysical topics be off limits?
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    08 Jun '19 13:12
    @fmf said
    Motion for debate:

...should be replaced by

Are you for or against?

And just how do you think that would change the nature of the debate?
  7. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    08 Jun '19 13:14
    @fmf said
    Then the discussion wouldn't be about spirituality.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '19 13:19
    @secondson said
    Then the discussion wouldn't be about spirituality.
    My point exactly.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '19 13:20
    @secondson said
    And just how do you think that would change the nature of the debate?
    Obviously, "supernatural, religion, and the life after" encapsulates much narrower parameters.
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    08 Jun '19 14:08
    @fmf said
    My point exactly.
    Then I'm against changing the 'tag line'.

You'll need a new forum.
  11. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    08 Jun '19 14:15
    @fmf said
    Obviously, "supernatural, religion, and the life after" encapsulates much narrower parameters.
    On the contrary. The discussion of the supernatural, religion and the afterlife encapsulates the broadest range of topics relative to spiritual experience.

What you're suggesting is trimming the discussion by eliminating areas of debate you're ill equipped to engage in, thereby narrowing the parameters of discourse.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '19 14:34
    @secondson said
    On the contrary. The discussion of the supernatural, religion and the afterlife encapsulates the broadest range of topics relative to spiritual experience.
    No, it is clearly a restricted selection of aspects of what "spirituality" pertains to and encompasses.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '19 14:39
    @secondson said
    What you're suggesting is trimming the discussion by eliminating areas of debate you're ill equipped to engage in, thereby narrowing the parameters of discourse.
    My suggested tagline broadens the parameters. My suggestion includes "religion", ""the supernatural" and "the life after" and then invites and embraces much more in addition. Broader not narrower. Nothing is eliminated.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '19 14:41
    @secondson said
    Then I'm against changing the 'tag line'.
    You have completely misunderstood the exchange about the words "material things" between me and divegeester.
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    08 Jun '19 15:29
    @fmf said
    My suggested tagline broadens the parameters. My suggestion includes "religion", ""the supernatural" and "the life after" and then invites and embraces much more in addition. Broader not narrower. Nothing is eliminated.
    But you just said above that it was your "point exactly" when I said the discussion wouldn't be about spirituality in reply to your statement that with a new tag line the discussion would be "of tangible or physical things without a metaphysical angle or context".

How are the parameters broadened when you want to eliminate discussion about spirituality?

Just start a new forum and castigate anyone for making references to the spiritual.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree