1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '14 20:061 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Nobody looks to government to "fix all of life's problems". You're so intent on loading up your definition with facetiousness and hyperbole, you are just babbling.
    Society is increasingly dependent upon government because government keeps expanding. Do you deny this?

At one point in US history, FDR tried to sell social security to the nation. It was a rather hard sell because at the time most thought they did not need it. However, today Americans think they would die in the streets without it, even though it is not really enough to even survive on.

This is just one example of many.

As for facetious hyperbole, those in Washington can shove it up their arse.

In other words, if those in Washington like their facetious hyperbole, they may keep it. 😵
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '14 03:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    Society is increasingly dependent upon government because government keeps expanding. Do you deny this?
    In Indonesia?

Your definition of "statist" is absurd hyperbole. According to your definition, none exist. If you have a serious point to make about spirituality and your conservative views, perhaps you need to calm down a bit and consider more carefully the words you are typing.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Dec '14 06:42
    These articles are easy to find.

http://philanthropy.com/article/Religious-Americans-Give-More/143273/
    Even easier if the articles you find do not answer the question I asked.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '14 13:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    In Indonesia?

Your definition of "statist" is absurd hyperbole. According to your definition, none exist. If you have a serious point to make about spirituality and your conservative views, perhaps you need to calm down a bit and consider more carefully the words you are typing.
    The more power a government has the more corrupt it becomes. Luckily, your particular government is not that far gone......yet.

I like what C.S. Lewis said nearly half a century ago.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.C. S. Lewis

What a brilliant man.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '14 14:03
    The more power a government has the more corrupt it becomes. Luckily, your particular government is not that far gone......yet.
    "My" government is moving in the other direction. A three decade long dictatorship here was overthrown 16 years ago.

According to your definition, no "statists" exist. I've never met one who conforms to your definition, and I doubt you have.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '14 14:08
    What a brilliant man.
    How many years did C. S. Lewis spend living under a military dictatorship / kleptocratic tyranny / "robber barons"?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '14 14:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    "My" government is moving in the other direction. A three decade long dictatorship here was overthrown 16 years ago.

According to your definition, no "statists" exist. I've never met one who conforms to your definition, and I doubt you have.
    And how did this "revolution" occur FMF?

The US also had a similar spat with the British crown. They too rose up and blood was spilled and they attained political power.

I submit that the only way freedom is attained is not through the political process, but through the spilling of blood. Keep in mind that the same people who had been praising the election of the Indonesian president Sarhuto soon fled with him after violent riots broke out and he was toppled.

Of course, like the US revolution, freedom is fleeting. Soon the bureaucrats move in, take power, and squeeze more and more power from the people, much like a boa constrictor.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '14 14:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    How many years did C. S. Lewis spend living under a military dictatorship / kleptocratic tyranny / "robber barons"?
    The man simply had two eyes, a brain, and history to look at. He saw how his own country oppressed such people as the colonists in the US. He saw how the British crown tried to use a combination of corporate tyranny and military might to imprison and impoverish a people.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '14 18:35
    The man simply had two eyes, a brain, and history to look at. He saw how his own country oppressed such people as the colonists in the US. He saw how the British crown tried to use a combination of corporate tyranny and military might to imprison and impoverish a people.
    He was nostalgic about the "robber barons" era? He thought "the British crown" tended to "imprison and impoverish a people" in the "robber barons" era?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '14 18:37
    Of course, like the US revolution, freedom is fleeting. Soon the bureaucrats move in, take power, and squeeze more and more power from the people, much like a boa constrictor.
    What evidence of this do you have in Indonesia?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '14 20:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    He was nostalgic about the "robber barons" era? He thought "the British crown" tended to "imprison and impoverish a people" in the "robber barons" era?
    Today in the US the police just shoot them on the streets.

Shrug.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '14 20:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    What evidence of this do you have in Indonesia?
    I'm sure its there, unless they are the lone exception in human history.

If so, congrats.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '14 00:271 edit
    Today in the US the police just shoot them on the streets.

Shrug.
    So C.S.Lewis thought "the British crown" tended to "imprison and impoverish a people" in the "robber barons" era and you [1] dub him a "brilliant man" because of this viewpoint, and [2] you cite police shootings in the US to substantiate yours/his analysis?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '14 00:30
    I'm sure its there, unless they are the lone exception in human history.

If so, congrats.
    What evidence do you have that Indonesia is the "the lone exception in human history" to the assertions you are making?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree