1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 05:24
    Originally posted by Darfius
    I'm sure you read the arguments without totally disregarding the possiblity of God, right?

I would imagine if you read the arguments with preset bigotry, they would appear "weak".

I'm still frequenting IIDB, tel. I do not go back on my word. Some of their arguments are pretty good. Philisophically, at least. Thier grasp of the Bible is laughable, and the conspiracy theories make for good jokes at Bible study.
    Darfius, the majority of the people on that board, especially in the Biblical History & Criticisms section, can run circles around you with the scripture. You really don't know the first thing about the Bible compared to most of them. Hell you believe it supports child rape and describes aliens. I think you've lost nearly all of your credibility here with me, and I hope a lot of others.

As I continue to read that book, I no longer expect to be convinced. This is primarily due to my experience in the first few chapters. Using my Literature major (the one with 4 years under it instead of 7 months), I quickly discerned that Lee Strobel was taking us for a little ride down Hogwash Lane. Originally, I had hoped for a challenge. Some argument to ponder, to exercise on a bit. Unfortunately, none of the experts Lee Strobel has interviewed yet have bothered to throw out their best stuff. The book is clearly meant for sold out xtians, not for doubters, skeptics, atheists, agnostics or anyone else besides. You have to really, really want the arguments to be strong to not see how shallow their points are. It seems the experts know this and so they are not even trying. They just toss out arguments that they know are weak. Whose going to challenge them? Lee Strobel certainly isn't! And the way he feigns objectivism has me noxious.

2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 05:48
    Originally posted by telerion
    Darfius, the majority of the people on that board, especially in the Biblical History & Criticisms section, can run circles around you with the scripture. You really don't know the first thing about the Bible compared to most of them. Hell you believe it supports child rape and describes aliens. I think you've lost nearly all of your credibility here w ...[text shortened]... ge them? Lee Strobel certainly isn't! And the way he feigns objectivism has me noxious.

Bring it on, you or them.

It doesn't support child rape, and neither does that occur, ESPECIALLY not sanctioned or condoned by God. Aliens? I said it supports fallen angels and demons posing as aliens, something which an abundance of evidence points to.

As you read the book, you have a vested interest in it NOT being true, since you've spent the better part of your life attempting to prove and believing it isn't true. Yes, you claim to have "preached on street corners and witnessed excorcisms", but YOU don't know the first thing about Christianity, which would probably come from a true "born-again". You have no concept whatsoever of what God would or would not want or what His plans are. You are lying to yourself and others when you say you were ever "born-again".

3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 05:55
    Originally posted by Joe Fist
    I've read some of the Naked Ape and it is very interesting. Forgive ATY, I don't always keep up on current affairs. What, if anything, do you categorize yourself as? Xian? Atheist, etc?

Edit - actually you don't need to answer that, unless you want to, I just read your recent other post 😉
    Agnostic atheist.

Many people who define agnostic as something different and incompatible with atheist categorize me as an agnostic.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 05:56
    I'm curious ATY, what helped shape your beliefs in the Bible?
    What do you mean?
  5. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 05:59
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What do you mean?
    What exactly about the Bible caused you to list it as having shaped your beliefs?
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 05:59
    I thought we were restricted to one book for some reason, I also recommend:

[b]Nephilim
    by Marzulli
    Chronicles of the Host by Shafer
    Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
    Paul by Wangerin
    Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
    [/b]
    How do the Chronicles of Narnia "reinforce or help" people "develop their system of beliefs"? I know Lewis was a very religious author, but those ones seem to be purely fantasy. I read them and in no way did they affect my beliefs any more than Tolkein, Weis and Hickman, or Moorcock did.
  7. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 06:00
    How do the Chronicles of Narnia "reinforce or help" people "develop their system of beliefs"? I know Lewis was a very religious author, but those ones seem to be purely fantasy. I read them and in no way did they affect my beliefs any more than Tolkein, Weis and Hickman, or Moorcock did.
    The parallels to Christianty were lost on me until I became born-again. Then it became profound.
  8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 06:35
    Bring it on, you or them.

It doesn't support child rape, and neither does that occur, ESPECIALLY not sanctioned or condoned by God. Aliens? I said it supports fallen angels and demons posing as aliens, something which an abundance of evidence points to.

As you read the book, you have a vested interest in it NOT being true, since you've spent the ...[text shortened]... plans are. You are lying to yourself and others when you say you were ever "born-again".

Uh oh. Is that patience you display in so Christ-like a manner a fruit of the Spirit?

You've defended God's creation of a world in which child rape would occur. You've opposed my idea that a universe without child rape is better than one with child rape all else being equal. You also sanctioned every atrocity conducted by or condoned by God in the OT including slavery, sexual bondage, genocide, and yes, likely child rape too if we use the standard of making the young girls of a conquered tribe your sexual slaves. You've actually called these things good because God is behind them.

You unequivocably compared everyone who does not believe as you do to Hitler. You've claimed that the Titans in Greek mythology were probably real. And why do you do spout all this nonsense? Because you are clinging desperately to a worldview that does not conform to reality, scared that the book you boast so much faith in, a book you've obviously hardly read, could be wrong.

Darfius, you need to step back, maybe get some psychotherapy, or maybe, just maybe, you should stick to your studies a while longer and learn something before speaking.

You may doubt that I was ever born again. This is not the first time that a believer has been unable to accept that some one who used to think as they did (They were never so warped as you!) could possibly change his mind. When we first met on here, you promised me in a PM not to assault the veracity of my previous faith. You have broken this promise, though I'm hardly shocked anymore. The amount of hatred and vile cruelty you've spouted on this board have led me to consider almost no act too petty or insensitive for you.

No matter how you slice it, I could never have spent most of my life trying to prove that the Bible is false. I have repeatedly claimed to have been a xtian for about 20 years (I actually admitted my atheism to myself and my wife when I was 23.). Even subtracting off the first 6 years or so for childhood, that leaves 17 years. Now from my profile and my picture, we all can plainly see that I'm currently 26. So the question is do you do arithmetic as well as you study literature?

As for not knowing the first thing about xtianity, I do know the Great Commission (Matt. 28:19-20). You spend all your time on here, and you haven't saved a soul yet. Don't mock my time on the mission field. Do you know the mind of God? Do you know who he uses and who he does not? Darfius you are you own god. You simply mask it behind fundamentalist xtianity. If God does exist, he will surely rebuke you. There were souls that "Jesus personally used me to save." According to you, they would be in Hell otherwise, writhing in torment forever. If anyone's faith should be called into question, it is your own.

The Bible says, "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them." (Matt 7:15-20)

You had better watch out Darfius if you put any stock in that book. Your fruit is putrid. You might be the one crying, "Lord, Lord," in the end.
  9. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 06:44
    "Interviews with God" - Terry Lane.

Absolutely priceless and delightful.

The Dark Side of Christian History" - Helen Ellerbe

Reminds one of the unsavoury activities of supposed Christians in the past.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 07:071 edit
    What exactly about the Bible caused you to list it as having shaped your beliefs?
    Well, as a recent example, I'm going through Daniel and finding it is in no way a scientifically valid source of predictions (so far). Since you claimed and still do claim it was, I have even less trust in your analytical capabilities and your objectivity.

In addition, seeing how it makes many claims which science does not agree with, I tend to find Christianity that much less convincing.

Similarly, I'd like to add The Case For Christ by Lee Strobel to my list.
  11. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 07:09
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Is it your finding that there exist valid de jure objections to Christianity that would force a rational person to reject it as a faith?
    Evidential arguments from evil, where the evil in question is natural evil (i.e., not moral evil), show pretty clearly that it is highly unlikely that any entity with the three 'big O's' exists (although it is possible). The bullets reasonable theists have to bite in response to this form of argument are immense.
  12. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 07:11
    Well, as a recent example, I'm going through Daniel and finding it is in no way a scientifically valid source of predictions (so far). Since you claimed and still do claim it was, I have even less trust in your analytical capabilities and your objectivity.

In addition, seeing how it makes many claims which science does not agree with, I tend to f ...[text shortened]... h less convincing.

Similarly, I'd like to add The Case For Christ by Lee Strobel to my list.
    You should continue in Daniel, there are some doosies toward the end.

Exactly what "claims that Christianity makes" are you referring to?
  13. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 07:41
    Uh oh. Is that patience you display in so Christ-like a manner a fruit of the Spirit?

I can assure you I wasn't angry. Sometimes I capitalize words to draw emphasis, but it takes a lot more than you've got to make me angry, tel. I've always been pretty passive, and through Christ I'm a downright pushover.

You've defended God's creation of a world in which child rape would occur.

I've never said child rape was acceptable behavior, or even not worthy of punishment. Of course it deserves punishment, and the punishment will be received, just not on your time table.

You've opposed my idea that a universe without child rape is better than one with child rape all else being equal.

In a world with sex, and with contact between adults and children, how do you propose to end the possiblity of child rape? You've not given a process, merely a product, and that is worthy of condemnation. It is up to adults, not God, to end child rape, and that through turning to God. No born-again, Bible believing, follower of Jesus Christ could ever rape a child. Some people use their complete (not the half measure you propose) free will for evil.

You also sanctioned every atrocity conducted by or condoned by God in the OT including slavery, sexual bondage, genocide, and yes, likely child rape too if we use the standard of making the young girls of a conquered tribe your sexual slaves.

You've yet to provide proof of this "sexual bondage" or "genocide". Your analogy that "The modern day US has better ways to deal with prisoners of war rather than death or slavery" is weak and baseless. The Israelites in 2500 BC weren't modern day Americans. They were a nomadic society who had themselves just come out of slavery, and a work force (that you conveniantly forget to mention is freed every 7 years) made up of only prisoners of war was a good way to stay alive. And of course there were laws put in place by God to prevent abuse of slaves. It could in no way be compared to the slavery of pre-Civil War America.

You've actually called these things good because God is behind them.

Well, by "these things" I assume you mean slavery, since you lack any sort of proof for the other accusations, and I will say to that that it was neither "good" nor "bad", it was a way of life. It helped the Israelites survive and it provided an alternative to death for prisoners of war (defensive wars).

You unequivocably compared everyone who does not believe as you do to Hitler.

Categorically false. I've stated that in the eyes of God, denying Him is the ultimate sin, and that all non-Christians are guilty of this, so Hitler is not worse than say, Ghandi in that regard. However, Hitler will suffer more due to his worse moral depravity. And most assuredly while they live, the more evil are more disappointing in the eyes of God and more evil in the eyes of Christians.

You've claimed that the Titans in Greek mythology were probably real.

You misrepresent what I say again! I said that the story probably had a grain of truth to it, based on solid Biblical and extra-Biblical evidence.

And why do you do spout all this nonsense? Because you are clinging desperately to a worldview that does not conform to reality, scared that the book you boast so much faith in, a book you've obviously hardly read, could be wrong.

I do not "spout nonsense". I spread and defend the Christian faith. What exactly is "reality"? Surely you cannot claim to KNOW that there is no after-life. It is simply your belief. I'm not at all scared that the Bible could be wrong, since in over 2000 years of trying their hardest, non-believers have failed to provide one substantiated proof of this. Instead they cling to literal, out of context interpretations when it suits them.

Darfius, you need to step back, maybe get some psychotherapy, or maybe, just maybe, you should stick to your studies a while longer and learn something before speaking.

Psychotherapy! Well at least you've finally come and admitted you think Christians are crazy, tel, thank you. No, despite that claim that shows more bigotry than anything I could think of, I am quite mentally sound. And as far as "learning something before speaking", I don't quite follow. I've studied God's word and apologetic arguments for a while now, and intensely. And of course I've graduated high school, so I have offically learned "something".

You may doubt that I was ever born again.

I don't just doubt it, I confidently state that you weren't.

This is not the first time that a believer has been unable to accept that some one who used to think as they did (They were never so warped as you!) could possibly change his mind.

If by "warped" you mean "Biblically-based", then I would say that provides more proof that you were never born-again. Near as I can tell by your excorcist story, it sounds like you went to some sort of charismatic church, and my opinion of them is less than awe inspiring. It sounds like your "change of mind" was to dismiss frauds as frauds, rather than the claims followers of Christ can make with the Bible as their foundation.

When we first met on here, you promised me in a PM not to assault the veracity of my previous faith.

I'd like to see record of this. In my records, I see no evidence of this. You're either mistaken or lying as of now.

You have broken this promise, though I'm hardly shocked anymore. The amount of hatred and vile cruelty you've spouted on this board have led me to consider almost no act too petty or insensitive for you.

Again, I do not remember making such a promise. As far as showing "hatred", we have radically different views of hatred. I accept your abuse and insults daily, and respond with Biblical answers. Your view of the Bible as "hateful" is confusing.

No matter how you slice it, I could never have spent most of my life trying to prove that the Bible is false. I have repeatedly claimed to have been a xtian for about 20 years (I actually admitted my atheism to myself and my wife when I was 23.). Even subtracting off the first 6 years or so for childhood, that leaves 17 years. Now from my profile and my picture, we all can plainly see that I'm currently 26. So the question is do you do arithmetic as well as you study literature?

My mistake, I thought you were older. Still quite some time. And with such resolve!

As for not knowing the first thing about xtianity, I do know the Great Commission (Matt. 28:19-20). You spend all your time on here, and you haven't saved a soul yet.

Any Christians that claims to have saved a soul is heretical. Only God can save souls. However, I've been around a few times when He did.

Don't mock my time on the mission field.

I'm not. I'm saying you were never a missionary.

Do you know the mind of God?

Only what is revealed in His word. Outside of that, no.

Do you know who he uses and who he does not?

Of course not. But I do know you were never willing to be used.

Darfius you are you own god.

Of course no! The Lord knows I love Him above all else, including and most especially myself.

You simply mask it behind fundamentalist xtianity. If God does exist, he will surely rebuke you. There were souls that "Jesus personally used me to save." According to you, they would be in Hell otherwise, writhing in torment forever. If anyone's faith should be called into question, it is your own.

I mask nothing, least of all my beliefs. I have no doubt God may have used you, I'm just saying you were never a willing participant, more like a condescending elitist.

The Bible says, "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them." (Matt 7:15-20)

Sure does. I love those verses.

You had better watch out Darfius if you put any stock in that book. Your fruit is putrid. You might be the one crying, "Lord, Lord," in the end.

You know nothing of my fruit. All you know is that I don't agree with you, so I must be a brainwashed, moronic, intolerant bigot who likely smells.
  14. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 07:52
    And of course I've graduated high school, so I have offically learned "something".
    This is one of the best things I've ever read in the forums.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 08:02
    You should continue in Daniel, there are some doosies toward the end.

Exactly what "claims that Christianity makes" are you referring to?
    My wording was unclear. "It" refers to the Bible, not Christianity.

I refer to things like claims of humans living for almost a thousand years, the claims that some make that counting back generations gives an age for the Earth of ~6000 years, the claim that Eve was made from Adam's rib, a talking snake, people running around in a flame made to incinerate them, the earth being created before light, and light being separated from darkness after both of these, and only after all this were the "lights in the sky" (Sun, stars, Moon) created, that "everything that creeps on the ground", cattle, and "beasts of the earth" were created after birds, plants (as advanced as fruit bearing trees) being created before the Sun and stars, the Earth rests on pillars, the sun and moon stood still, the sun and moon went backwards upon Isaiah's command, rainbows did not exist before Noah's flood, plants and animals were created after humans, snakes eating dust, hares chewing cuds, there are fowls that creep on four legs, rods turning into snakes, fire breathing dragons exist, pheonixes and four winged, four faced things with straight feet existed...I am sure I could find more if I took the time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree