Moves
    19 Sep '11 04:00
    Srimad Bhagavatam 5:14:27

hvany amusminn ima upasargas tatha sukha-duhkha-raga-dvesabhayabhimana-
    pramadonmada-soka-moha-lobha-matsaryersyava-mana-ksutpipasadhi-
    vyadhi-janma-jara-maranadayah.

SYNONYMS
    adhvani--on the path of material life; amusmin--on that; ime--all
    these; upasargah--eternal difficulties; tatha--so much also; sukha--socalled
    happiness; duhkha--unhappiness; raga--attachment; dvesa--hate;
    bhaya--fear; abhimana--false prestige; pramada--illusion; unmada--
    madness; soka--lamentation; moha--bewilderment; lobha--greed; matsarya--
    envy; irsya--enmity; avamana--insult; ksut--hunger; pipasa--thirst; adhi-
    -tribulations; vyadhi--disease; janma--birth; jara--old age; marana--
    death; adayah--and so on.

TRANSLATION
    In this materialistic life, there are many difficulties, as I have just mentioned, and all of these are insurmountable. In addition, there are difficulties arising from so called happiness, distress, attachment, hate, fear, false prestige, illusion, madness, lamentation, bewilderment, greed, envy, enmity, insult, hunger, thirst, tribulation, disease, birth, old age and death. All these combine together to give the materialistic conditioned soul nothing but misery.

PURPORT
    The conditioned soul has to accept all these conditions simply to enjoy sense gratification in this world. Although people declare themselves great scientists, economists, philosophers, politicians and sociologists. they are actually nothing but rascals. Therefore they have been described as mudhas and naradhamas in Bhagavad-gita (7.15):

na mam duskrtino mudhah
    prapadyante naradhamah
    mayayapahrta-jnana
    asuram bhavam asritah

"Those miscreants who are grossly foolish, lowest among mankind. whose knowledge is stolen by illusion, and who partake of the atheistic nature of demons, do not surrender unto Me."
    Due to their foolishness, all these materialists are described in Bhagavad-gita as naradhamas. They have attained the human form in order to get released from material bondage, but instead of doing so. they become further embarrassed amid the miserable material conditions.
    Therefore they are naradhamas, the lowest of men. One may ask whether scientists, philosophers, economists and mathematicians are also naradhamas, the lowest of men, and the Supreme personality of Godhead replies that they are because they have no actual knowledge. They are simply proud of their false prestige and position. Actually they do not know how to get relief from the material condition and renovate their spiritual life of transcendental bliss and knowledge. Consequently they waste time and energy in the search for so-called happiness. These are the qualifications of the demons. In Bhagavad-gita it says that when one has all these demonic qualities, he becomes a mudha. Due to this. he envies the Supreme personality of Godhead; therefore birth after birth he is born into a demonic family, and he transmigrates from one demonic body to another. Thus he forgets his relationship with Krsna and remains a naradhama in an abominable condition life after life.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 04:17
    Which of these web sites is trustworthy and which is not, Dasa?

http://vedabase.net/sb/5/14/27/en1

http://www.krishnasoft.com/ksijul01.htm

http://www.bvml.org/books/SB/05/14.html

http://www.dharmakshetra.com/literature/Srimad%20bhagavatam/Canto%2005.htm

You have mentioned before how you believe that some web sites are not trustworthy. The above 4 blogs (oddly, the only hits for "One may ask whether scientists, philosophers, economists and mathematicians are also naradhamas" out of all the millions and millions of web pages on the net) appear to corroborate each other. Does this lend weight to your OP or are any of these 4 blogs to be treated with caution?
  3. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 06:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    Which of these web sites is trustworthy and which is not, Dasa?

http://vedabase.net/sb/5/14/27/en1

http://www.krishnasoft.com/ksijul01.htm

http://www.bvml.org/books/SB/05/14.html

http://www.dharmakshetra.com/literature/Srimad%20bhagavatam/Canto%2005.htm

You have mentioned before how you believe that some web sites are not trustworthy. The above 4 ...[text shortened]... ther. Does this lend weight to your OP or are any of these 4 blogs to be treated with caution?
    I am farmilar with Veda base.net but not the others. and therefore cannot comment at this stage.

"Veda online.cz Harekrsna" - is also good.

But where ever someone has given personal commentary it has to be taken with a little caution.....but having basic knowledge of the Vedic conclusion to begin with is very helpful in distinguishing the proper Vedic sites.

Persons going on-line without having any understanding of basic Vedic teaching will not be able to distinguish what is authorized and what is not without having the acquaintance of someone who is knowledgeable of the Vedic conclusion.

There are many Vedic sites which are not authorized and conclude the non existence of God......because they embrace the impersonal aspect of Godhead and reject the personal - and this false conclusion is not know until you are deep into their teachings and therefore you become mislead by that false conclusion.

The best source of Vedic knowledge are the books by His divine Grace AC Bhaktivedanta Srila Prubhupada. which I have as my source..

The academic approach to the Vedas is shunned and one must approach the Vedas with a loving honest heart.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 06:38
    Originally posted by Dasa
    I am farmilar with Veda base.net but not the others. and therefore cannot comment at this stage.

"Veda online.cz Harekrsna" - is also good.

But where ever someone has given personal commentary it has to be taken with a little caution.....but having basic knowledge of the Vedic conclusion to begin with is very helpful in distinguishing the proper Vedic sit ...[text shortened]... c approach to the Vedas is shunned and one must approach the Vedas with a loving honest heart.
    Someone like sonhouse (and me) would be interested in the physical benefits from spiritual(Aryuvedic) practices. Could you give the forum at least one clear case of where spiritual training(in Aryuveda,or any other veda), has resulted in better health?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 07:47
    But where ever someone has given personal commentary it has to be taken with a little caution.....
    You give "personal commentary" here all the time. Should we "take [you] with a little caution" too?

...but having basic knowledge of the Vedic conclusion to begin with is very helpful in distinguishing the proper Vedic sites.

Aren't the people who run the Vedic sites that you don't approve of also people who submit to the "authority" of Vedic teaching? Why should anyone take your word over theirs?
  6. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 12:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    You give "personal commentary" here all the time. Should we "take [you] with a little caution" too?

[b]...but having basic knowledge of the Vedic conclusion to begin with is very helpful in distinguishing the proper Vedic sites.

Aren't the people who run the Vedic sites that you don't approve of also people who submit to the "authority" of Vedic teaching? Why should anyone take your word over theirs?[/b]
    I have just informed you that their are Vedic sites which teach impersonalism which is not the same as personalism and these must be avoided because they give you the wrong conclusion.

God can be realized in 3 ways.

1. The Supreme Personality of Godhead.

2. The localized Paramatma super soul within the heart.

3. The all pervading Brahman aspect of Gods energies.

Impersonal teachings only teach the all pervading Brahman aspect of God which is also a true aspect of Gods features but it is not the highest conclusion of the Absolute Truth. These impersonal teaching teach that we all merge into God and become one with God when we finally become liberated from this temporary world - but this conclusion is insufficient because it fails to bring the person into relationship with the Lord. (its impersonal)

The highest realization of the Absolute Truth is that of the Supreme Personality of Godhead which are the teachings that I present which are taught in the Vedanta Sutra which brings the person into relationship with the Lord. (personal)

Persons who make commentary on authorized Vedic web sites are 95% correct and that 5% is often not of a critical nature.

Persons who make commentary on unauthorized Vedic web site are between 30% and 80% correct.

It is very important for new students to Vedic teachings to have a personal teacher to guide them in their studies of all the material.

Having the books by Srila Prubhupada it the best way to go it alone - and you will have 100% correctness - but sooner or later the personal teacher is definitely required.
  7. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 12:451 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Someone like sonhouse (and me) would be interested in the physical benefits from spiritual(Aryuvedic) practices. Could you give the forum at least one clear case of where spiritual training(in Aryuveda,or any other veda), has resulted in better health?
    Here are a few remedies but there are thousands if you go online.....just google Ayurveda remedies.

Ayurvedic Home Remedies:

The ‘Sensitive Plant’ (Touch-me-not) ‘thotta chinungi’ in Tamil and ‘thotta vaadi’ in Malayalam has been the subject of extensive studies over the recent years for its medicinal properties.

This plant is effective in treating a wide range of disease conditions ranging from allergy, asthma, menstrual problems, hemorrhoids, premature ejaculation, to hypertension, cholesterol, snake bite and more. Research has shown the plant to be effective in treating cancer, especially of the mouth and lungs. One of its compound mimocin is found to inhibit DNA replication in cancer cells.

The botanical name of ‘touch-me-not’ is Mimosa pudica. Though native to South and Central America, this plant is found in the tropical regions the world over. It is also called ‘humble plant’, ‘shameful plant’ because of the tendency of the leaves to fold inward when touched or shaken.

The thotta vaadi plant is an Ayurvedic home remedy for diabetes and hypertension. People suffering from diabetes can take 30 ml juice of thotaa vaadi plant in the mornings and evenings to bring down elevated glucose to normal levels. This remedy can also be used to keep diabetes at bay.

For those suffering from hypertension the remedy would be to take 15 ml of juice obtained from the leaves of this plant. This can be taken in the mornings and evenings to the keep blood pressure levels normal.

One Ayurvedic home remedy for arsas (hemorrhoids) is taking 8 gm of the dried and powdered root of thotta vaadi. This powder is added to warm milk and taken at nights for a period of two to three months. This is found to cure hemorrhoids or piles.

Some of the chemical compounds found in thotta vaadi are mimocin, galactose, mannose etc. These are more potent than the tricyclic anti-depressants and hence can be used in treating depression and other related disorders.

The plant has a tendency to bring down swellings and vata pain in the joints. The thick paste obtained from grinding the whole plant is taken in a piece of cloth and placed over the painful joint swellings and tied with a piece of cloth to hold it in place. This is done a couple of times. This relieves and pain and reduces the swelling. Similarly the paste can be used to treat delayed wound healing. The paste is applied over the wound to help in rapid healing.

The plant is a herbal natural remedy for asthma and asthmatic conditions. For this purpose 15 ml juice from thotta vaadi leaves is collected. Hot water is added to this juice and taken every two hours for quick relief from asthmatic troubles.

One of the problems of old age is insomnia. One excellent natural remedy for insomnia is the thotta vaadi plant. For this 5 gm of leaves is taken and boiled in a glass of water and taken at night before going to bed. Repeating this for a couple of days will help in curing insomnia.

Wheat congee made with thottavaadi juice, guava leaf, curry leaf and horse gram broth is a well known preparation for lowering elevated cholesterol levels.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 12:47
    I have just informed you that their are Vedic sites which teach impersonalism which is not the same as personalism and these must be avoided because they give you the wrong conclusion.

God can be realized in 3 ways.

1. The Supreme Personality of Godhead.

2. The localized Paramatma super soul within the heart.

3. The all pervading Brahman aspect of G ...[text shortened]... ou will have 100% correctness - but sooner or later the personal teacher is definitely required.
    I will try again. You give "personal commentary" here at RHP all the time, often mixing it with texts from web sites, sometimes without saying so. To quote your own advice, should we "take [you] with a little caution" too?
  9. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 13:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    I will try again. You give "personal commentary" here at RHP all the time, often mixing it with texts from web sites, sometimes without saying so. To quote your own advice, should we "take [you] with a little caution" too?
    I can determine what is acceptable.

Person who are new to Vedic teachings can not - especially if they are dishonest..
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 13:271 edit
    I can determine what is acceptable.

Person who are new to Vedic teachings can not - especially if they are dishonest..
    So if someone has been studying Vedic teachings for longer than you, and they disagree with what you say, who should we believe is right about the nature or meaning of those teachings?
  11. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 15:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    So if someone has been studying Vedic teachings for longer than you, and they disagree with what you say, who should we believe is right about the nature or meaning of those teachings?
    The length of time has nothing to do with it.

Its about quality not quantity.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 15:08
    The length of time has nothing to do with it.

Its about quality not quantity.
    But why should anyone take your word for it if there are other devotees of Vedic teaching with whom you disagree or disapprove, for instance those who might look at the ways you carry on here at RHP and then condemn your "teaching" and your take on the Vedas?
  13. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 16:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    But why should anyone take your word for it if there are other devotees of Vedic teaching with whom you disagree or disapprove, for instance those who might look at the ways you carry on here at RHP and then condemn your "teaching" and your take on the Vedas?
    The only persons who condemn my way (as you have put it) are insincere and dishonest in the manner of their enquiries.

No one is truly qualified to discuss true spirituality and therefore they must simply listen submissively to actually learn anything.

Constant berating and sarcastic attitudes works against them.
  14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 22:43
    The suffering materialist.

Crap name for a pub...much better is The dog and biscuit

Hope this helps 🙂
  15. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    05 Oct '11 03:002 edits
    Just who was it at Warner Brothers (an obvious militant, secular progressive organization) that decided to simply expunge the word "Savior" and replace it with "Succotash?" I'm outraged. OUTRAGED I tell you! 😠

"SUFFERIN' SUCCOTASH"
    excerpts from succotash-wiki

Succotash (background and definition)

A "succotash" is prepared with kidney beans. Succotash (from Narragansett msíckquatash, "boiled corn kernels" ) is a food dish consisting primarily of corn and lima beans or other shell beans. Other ingredients may be added including tomatoes and green or sweet red peppers. Because of the relatively inexpensive and more readily available ingredients, the dish was popular during the Great Depression in the United States. It was sometimes cooked in a casserole form, often with a light pie crust on top as in a traditional pot pie. Succotash is a traditional dish of many Thanksgiving celebrations in New England as well as in Pennsylvania and other states. In some parts of the American South, any mixture of vegetables prepared with lima beans and topped with lard or butter is called succotash.

[incidentally, in Georgia, my family ate succotash about once a year but it was lima beans, corn, and butter served from a bowl]

On the phrase "Suffering succotash"

"Sufferin' succotash" is a catchphrase of the Warner Bros. cartoon cat Sylvester, also used less often by Daffy Duck. The Depression-era exclamation is said to be a minced oath of "suffering savior".

That's how it starts. Seems innocuous enough. Just replace "savior" with "succotash!" They'll never notice! Uh huh.

Diabolical is what it is.

Oh, the humanity of it all. My emotions are deadened and I'm sickened in mind and spirit. Gotta go.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree