1. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 08:40
    Originally posted by ua41
    Vish, can I get a rundown of these yugas, or at least point me in the right direction? Like what are each of these ages supposed to mean to us/living things etc.? I think I remember reading the yugas "reflect" the "morality" sometime ago. Also, what yuga are we currently in?
    Four cosmic ages (yugas)

Satya-yuga (Golden Age) 1.728.000 years long.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Yuga-avatara - white with four arms, has matted hair and wears a garment of tree bark. He carries a black deerskin, a sacred thread, prayer beads and the rod and waterpot of a brahmacari. (SB 11.5.21)

Symptoms of Satya-yuga: The people are peaceful, non-envious, friendly and naturally Krsna conscious. In Satya-yuga there was no division of asrama, everyone was a paramahamsa. There was no demigod worship, only the worship of Krsna and religion was perfectly practiced. (SB 9.14, 11.5.21-22)

Treta-yuga (Silver Age) 1.296.000 years long.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Yuga-dharma - Fire sacrifice (yajna)
    Yuga-avatara - red with four arms and golden hair. He wears a triple belt representing initiation into the three Vedas. His symbols are the sruk, sruva, etc. (ladle, spoon and other implements of sacrifice).

Symptoms of Treta-yuga: In Treta-yuga the people are thoroughly religious. In Satya-yuga people are naturally Krsna conscious. In Treta-yuga they are inclined to become Krsna conscious. To achieve that end they are very strict in following Vedic principles.

Dvapara-yuga (Copper Age) 864.000 years long.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Yuga-dharma - Temple worship (arcana)
    Yuga-avatara - his complexion is dark blue. He wears yellow garments. His body is marked with Srivatsa and other distinctive ornaments, and He manifests His personal weapons.

Symptoms of Dvapara-yuga: In Dvapara-yuga people have the weaknesses of mortal beings, but they have a strong desire to know about the Absolute Truth and they worship the Lord in the mood of honoring a great king, following the prescriptions of both Vedas and tantras.

Kali-yuga (Iron Age) 432.000 years long
    (this is the age we are in now, and we have been in it for just over 5000 years)
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Yuga-dharma - Chanting the Hare Krsna mahamantra (harinama sankirtana)
    Yuga-avatara - golden or yellow but generally black. Lord Caitanya, who is Krsna Himself, appears only in the Kali-yuga immediately following the appearance of Sri Krsna in Dvapara-yuga.

Symptoms of Kali-yuga: "O learned one in the age of Kali, men have but short lives. They are quarrelsome, lazy, misguided, unlucky and above all, always disturbed." (SB 1.1.10)

The four yugas are known as a divya-yuga, or maha-yuga. One divya-yuga is 12,000 years of the demigods (4,320,000 human years). One thousand divya-yugas equals one day of Brahma (4,320,000,000 human years).

In each Brahma's day there are fourteen Manus (patriarchs of mankind). Each Manu enjoys a life of seventy-one divya-yugas or 852,000 years of the demigods (306,720,000 human years). After the dissolution of every Manu a new Manu comes. With the change of Manu the universal management also changes. Each manvantara is preceded and followed by the yuga-sandhya in length of one Satya-yuga. The yuga-sandhyas are periods of partial devastation and creation.

Brahma's life consists of 36,000 days and nights (of the same length), or 311,040,000,000,000 human years.

We live in Kali-yuga of the 28th divya-yuga of the 7th Manu of the 12th kalpa (called Sveta-Varaha) (SB 2.10.46p., Skanda P. 2.39-42), in the 51th year of Brahma. The beginning of this kalpa was 2.3 billion years ago (453 mahayugas back).
  2. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 08:41
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I think we're in Kali Yuga, where our planet (solar system?) starts coming back to the centre of the universe and all life is "tranformed " (transmuted?) onto a higher plane.
    Please correct me if I am wrong, Vishva.
    Yes we are in Kali Yuga.... check the post above.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 18:04
    And yet Christians are the ones with "false teachings".

Okay, right.

You can believe all this, and yet you find Christianity (which, even at its worst, is not this ridiculous) to be unbelievable, or "false".

Yeah, okay, clearly, you're more believable than Christianity.
  4. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 18:22
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    I said from its last manifestation....not creation, because its much older than 2.3 billion.

My mistake, I should have said its 2.3 billion years old from its last partial annihilation.

Every 4.3 billion years, there is a partial annihilation of the universe, and the planet is then revived to go another 4.3 billion years, and this goes on for a long ...[text shortened]... n years.

When the universe is revived it is put back into good shape, for the next Maha Yuga.
    “....I said from its last manifestation....not creation, because its much older than 2.3 billion.

My mistake, I should have said its 2.3 billion years old from its last partial annihilation. ...”

http://www.ecotao.com/holism/bp.htm
    “...2.3 billion years ago most of the planet's seven continents, then concentrated around the equator, were glaciated. ...”

OK, that would not have been good for life back then; but “partial annihilation” of the Earth? No, definitely not!
    There is no evidence that the Earth was “partially annihilated” back then and, if it WAS literally “partially annihilated” back then, there would surely be some pretty good geological evidence of this “partially annihilation”! “annihilation” by what? A meteor or volcanism or what?
  5. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 18:32
    So RB's answer is to say God did it and that's it? I believe in creation and God but this is not an easy answer. Unless our measurements are way off or something. There are stars so far out as to be older than the earth and we are just now seeing their light.
    It angers me when people give or have such simplistic answers to everything that is.
    I guess creationist can argue God placed those stars that far out and we can see the light but light travels at a constant speed. (So we believe) So did light travel faster at some point?

Manny
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 18:37
    God is eternal, the spiritual world is eternal, the living beings are eternal, and the material cosmic manifestation is eternal, but the material manifestation goes through endless cycles of being manifest and un-manifest

The Christian belief that this cosmic manifestation is the first one ever created is false.

This particular planet earth is 2.3 b ...[text shortened]... eation is never ending in its cycles of manifesting and un-manifesting. ( it goes on for ever.)
    The Christian belief that this cosmic manifestation is the first one ever created is false.

And your beliefs are all true based on what evidence exactly?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 18:38
    Originally posted by menace71
    So RB's answer is to say God did it and that's it? I believe in creation and God but this is not an easy answer. Unless our measurements are way off or something. There are stars so far out as to be older than the earth and we are just now seeing their light.
    It angers me when people give or have such simplistic answers to everything that is.
    I guess crea ...[text shortened]... avels at a constant speed. (So we believe) So did light travel faster at some point?

Manny
    actually i think we need make no such concessions, for the scriptures make it clear that light reached the earth gradually.
  8. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 18:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    actually i think we need make no such concessions, for the scriptures make it clear that light reached the earth gradually.
    Forgive RC but is your position Old Earth ? Or at least Old Universe?

Manny
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 18:542 edits
    Forgive RC but is your position Old Earth ? Or at least Old Universe?

Manny
    well i think it must be old earth for certainly we have no reason for believing in a relatively new earth, as in the last 10,000 years. My point was made with reference to the idea of the light of the stars reaching the earth, for clearly, after the earth, the stars and luminaries were created light reached the earth gradually, we know this from the Hebrew verse used in Genesis.
  10. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 19:12
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    well i think it must be old earth for certainly we have no reason for believing in a relatively new earth, as in the last 10,000 years. My point was made with reference to the idea of the light of the stars reaching the earth, for clearly, after the earth, the stars and luminaries were created light reached the earth gradually, we know this from the Hebrew verse used in Genesis.
    I see

Manny
  11. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '10 20:59
    I guess crea ...[text shortened]... avels at a constant speed. (So we believe) So did light travel faster at some point?

Manny
    some creationists claim that stars where made at the same time as the star-light in transit so that we could see the stars that are a million light-years away even when the universe is just, say, 10,000 years old.
    I think a good question to ask such creationists is;

if we see a star explode to oblivion today that is one million light years away, when did it explode?

If those creationists are correct, then either that exploding star never happened (why would a deity show us a fictitious history? )
    or it exploded at a time BEFORE its formation! (which is logically incoherent)
    or, one million years from now, we will see the same star explode again! (because the light from the explosion would have finally reach us) even though it no longer exists (because it would have already exploded to oblivion only within the first 10,000 years) ! which would beg the question; why would a deity show us fictitious dates of historical events?
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '10 22:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Since the solar system is moving through space at an estimated 200 miles per second, 320 Km/sec, if you just went back in time 10,000 years, the Earth would be about 10 light years away in that much time. So you would indeed find yourself in empty space, better have a good spacesuit and LOTS of O2 and food, maybe a good idea to go back to the future 10,000 years so you could find your home again.
    ===============================
    Since the solar system is moving through space at an estimated 200 miles per second, 320 Km/sec, if you just went back in time 10,000 years, the Earth would be about 10 light years away in that much time. So you would indeed find yourself in empty space, better have a good spacesuit and LOTS of O2 and food, maybe a good idea to go back to the future 10,000 years so you could find your home again.
    ====================================

Sonhouse, I'm surprised at you. Since the whole galaxy is rotating carrying the solar system around with it, the time traveler might find himself inside whatever star may have occupied that space then.
  13. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 09:13
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    [b] The Christian belief that this cosmic manifestation is the first one ever created is false.

And your beliefs are all true based on what evidence exactly?[/b]
    Vedanta Sutra comes from the personality of Godhead and is eternal knowledge.

It is passed down in disciplic succession, from pure master to pure master, to the present day.

When Lord Brahma spoke the Vedas....one billion verses came from his mouth without pausing..

This knowledge wasn't created 2000 years ago ....or 3000 years ago, but has existed eternally, and comes to mankind every time the cosmos is created.

It is accepted by all seers and devotees and scholars, from many different backgrounds of religious influence.

This knowledge, when practiced, actually gives God realization, and raises the consciousness to the transcendental platform of love of God.....and if it were not bonafide then it would not be potent.
  14. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 14:21
    Vedanta Sutra comes from the personality of Godhead and is eternal knowledge.

It is passed down in disciplic succession, from pure master to pure master, to the present day.

When Lord Brahma spoke the Vedas....one billion verses came from his mouth without pausing..

This knowledge wasn't created 2000 years ago ....or 3000 years ago, but has exist ...[text shortened]... scendental platform of love of God.....and if it were not bonafide then it would not be potent.
    And then Alice clicked her heels and thought of the those beautiful Kansas fields and everything was just a CASE OF A VIVID IMAGINATION
  15. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 22:21
    Originally posted by nook7
    And then Alice clicked her heels and thought of the those beautiful Kansas fields and everything was just a CASE OF A VIVID IMAGINATION
    It is you that lives in fairy land, believing life is a random accident....(get honest)

You believe these things because you have the madness disease, which has stolen your intelligence.

You do not know what to do, or what not to do....you are lost in illusion, thinking your rotting body is the self.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree