1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 03:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    Progressive taxation is result of a political process not a religious one. I thought the Bible basically suggests that Christians leave the governing (and the taxing) to the governments.

As a follower of Christ, to what degree do you comply with his instructions as reported Matthew 19:21 and Luke 18:22?
    Did I suggest we not pay taxes? I certainly did not.

I'm just asking a simple question, what is superior, God's law or man's law?

As for giving to the poor, I could give a lot more if it were not for the taxes imposed on me to do such things as attack Libya, pay for abortions, run guns across the border, fly drones around the world murdering people, etc., etc.

I would simply say, God's way is superior.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 03:38
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    No personal offense meant, but I stopped taking you seriously a long time ago. I see from this thread that several others have done the same. At bottom, I think the primary issue is that your ability to objectively assess and faithfully redescribe differing viewpoints on various matters (political, philosophical, political, theological, political, etc - ...[text shortened]... invariably, your comments are predicated on grotesque caricatures concerning what others think.
    Well I'm sorry you feel that way. I do my best and if my best does not amuse you or stimulate you intellectually then by all means don't read or respond to anything I post.

Or you can just continue to write scathing hurtful posts like this. The choice is really up to you.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 04:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    Did I suggest we not pay taxes? I certainly did not.
    Neither did I. Nobody has. You are arguing with yourself. Or perhaps nobody.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 04:17
    I'm just asking a simple question, what is superior, God's law or man's law?
    This 'answer' is simply dodging the question. A genuine answer would be more interesting. Here it is: Doesn't the Bible basically suggest that Christians leave governing and taxing to the governments?

There is no "God's law" about "progressive taxation". It is the result of a political process not a religious one.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 04:19
    Or you can just continue to write scathing hurtful posts like this. The choice is really up to you.
    Do you disapprove of people writing "scathing hurtful posts"?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 04:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    This 'answer' is simply dodging the question. A genuine answer would be more interesting. Here it is: Doesn't the Bible basically suggest that Christians leave governing and taxing to the governments?

There is no "God's law" about "progressive taxation". It is the result of a political process not a religious one.
    Yes, but such a government does not restrict me from proclaiming God's law as superior to that of man, does it?

God did have a law regarding tithing that was not progressive in nature. I would think progressive would say that his law is unjust and regressive.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 04:21
    As for giving to the poor, I could give a lot more if it were not for the taxes imposed on me to do such things as attack Libya, pay for abortions, run guns across the border, fly drones around the world murdering people, etc., etc.
    An answer to the question I asked you would be more interesting. Here it is again: to what degree do you comply with the instructions to Christians like yourself in Matthew 19:21 and Luke 18:22?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 04:25
    Yes, but such a government does not restrict me from proclaiming God's law as superior to that of man, does it?

God did have a law regarding tithing that was not progressive in nature. I would think progressive would say that his law is unjust and regressive.
    That the Hebrews had a system of tithes in ancient times has nothing to do with the there being progressive taxation now. If the fact that they had the tithe means that that system is "God's law" for you, when you are not even an ancient Hebrew, does that mean you should also be committing genocide against neighbours (or competitors for the same land) that you deem evil unbelievers because it's "God's law" simply because that's what the ancient Hebrews did?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 04:28
    Once again, the question is "Doesn't the Bible basically suggest that Christians leave governing and taxing to the governments?" Nothing is stopping you from voting for a candidate who proposes a flat tax.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 04:35
    I would simply say, God's way is superior.
    But you are unable to point out any injunction against progressive taxation by your God figure in scripture.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 05:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    An answer to the question I asked you would be more interesting. Here it is again: to what degree do you comply with the instructions to Christians like yourself in Matthew 19:21 and Luke 18:22?
    I see, so you are trying to find fault with me.

Well I'll save you some trouble, I've sinned in the past, but I'll be damned if I stand up for genocide.

As for being damned, no worries, all we have to do is start a threat about hell not existing. See, it's all good.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 05:28
    I see, so you are trying to find fault with me.
    Nothing of the sort. I am trying to have a discussion with you about the topic you started. If the verses from the Christian NT I cited don't apply to you in the reality of your life in this world, why would the ancient Hebrew tithe system from the OT apply to you and everyone around you in the reality of the world?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 05:31
    Well I'll save you some trouble, I've sinned in the past, but I'll be damned if I stand up for genocide.
    So you champion the ancient Hebrew tithe but you condemn the genocides ancient Hebrews committed? Is that what "I'll be damned if I stand up for genocide"?
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 05:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    Nothing of the sort. I am trying to have a discussion with you about the topic you started. If the verses from the Christian NT I cited don't apply to you in the reality of your life in this world, why would the ancient Hebrew tithe system from the OT apply to you and everyone around you in the reality of the world?
    If Suzy wants to embrace a theology that embraces abortion then have at it. I personally know of no church that does such a thing, but I'm sure they exist somewhere.

Abortion is like slavery. Deep down everyone knows its not ideal, even though they tolerate it.

I don't think even you embrace abortion, do you?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 05:35
    As for being damned, no worries, all we have to do is start a threat about hell not existing. See, it's all good.
    "As for being damned"? Who are you referring to? Who is "damned"? What are you on about?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree