1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Joined
    21 Aug '06
    Moves
    11458
    24 May '11 03:202 edits
    I've been giving this matter some thought and have come to the conclusion that the tooth fairy probably exists. I can offer a number of justifications for this position which are, in structure, equal to the theists justification for the existence of "God".

    - Firstly how am I to rationally dismiss the tooth fairy when I haven't proven it doesn't exist? Proof via incomplete knowledge
    - Secondly I remember a couple of occasions as a youngster when the morning after putting a tooth under the pillow it had been replaced with a fifty pence coin (a fortune for a young child back in the day). I also recall that I asked my parents about this and they too put it down to the tooth fairy; and as what your parents tell you when you're young should not be taken to be lies, this alone is compelling proof that there is a tooth fairy. Proof via personal testimony
    - Thirdly there are many youngsters that believe in the tooth fairy...they can't all be wrong! Proof via an appeal to numbers
    - Fourthly, the fact that children grow out of this belief is correlated with the fact that their exposure to this entity lessens as they shed all their baby teeth - in short they forget about the tooth fairy and succumb to the lies about false gods. Proof via rational explanation for it's dismissal
    - Fifth, I have faith the tooth fairy exists Proof via faith
    - Sixth, Prove the tooth fairy doesn't exist! proof via an impossible challenge to unbelievers

    I may think of more reasons later, but as you can see; the case for the tooth fairy is, by theist standards of proof and logic, pretty damned water tight ;]
  2. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    24 May '11 03:31
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I've been giving this matter some thought and have come to the conclusion that the tooth fairy probably exists. I can offer a number of justifications for this position which are, in structure, equal to the theists justification for the existence of "God".

    - Firstly how am I to rationally dismiss the tooth fairy when I haven't proven it doesn't exist? [b]Pr ...[text shortened]... he tooth fairy is, by theist standards of proof and logic, pretty damned water tight ;]
    Really silly don't you think?
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Joined
    21 Aug '06
    Moves
    11458
    24 May '11 03:361 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Really silly don't you think?
    If I thought it was silly I wouldn't have faith now would I? ;]

    - seventh, people keep trying to turn me away from their faith to advance their own nefarious agendas Proof via persecution
  4. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    24 May '11 03:44
    Originally posted by Agerg
    If I thought it was silly I wouldn't have faith now would I? ;]

    - seventh, people keep trying to turn me away from their faith to advance their own nefarious agendas [b]Proof via persecution
    [/b]
    So faith in sillyness. Sorry....
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Joined
    21 Aug '06
    Moves
    11458
    24 May '11 03:46
    Originally posted by galveston75
    So faith in sillyness. Sorry....
    Well you believe in a comic book villain the Joker, ahem...sorry Satan! You have no place to be calling my faith silly ;]
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    24 May '11 03:57
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Well you believe in a comic book villain the Joker, ahem...sorry Satan! You have no place to be calling my faith silly ;]
    So if religious folk are all so stupid as you say, why then would you spend your time trying to reason with them?

    Of course, the same could be said for those of faith. Since the Bible calls those who deny that God exists fools, what do you become as you continue trying to reason with a fool?
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Joined
    21 Aug '06
    Moves
    11458
    24 May '11 04:00
    Originally posted by whodey
    So if religious folk are all so stupid as you say, why then would you spend your time trying to reason with them?

    Of course, the same could be said for those of faith. Since the Bible calls those who deny that God exists fools, what do you become as you continue trying to reason with a fool?
    Please point out where I say religious folk are stupid...thanks in advance.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12697
    24 May '11 04:09
    Originally posted by whodey
    So if religious folk are all so stupid as you say, why then would you spend your time trying to reason with them?

    Of course, the same could be said for those of faith. Since the Bible calls those who deny that God exists fools, what do you become as you continue trying to reason with a fool?
    We can only hope, for their sake, that they will suddenly come to their
    senses and realize how foolish they have been so they might believe
    and be saved. So we continue trying to reason with them.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    24 May '11 04:39
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    We can only hope, for their sake, that they will suddenly come to their
    senses and realize how foolish they have been so they might believe
    and be saved. So we continue trying to reason with them.
    Funny, but that is not how Jesus instructed his disciples to bahave. They were sent into cities to preach the word and if rejected, they shook the dust off their feet and moved on to those who have not heard the mssage known as "the good news".

    I think you will find that trying to convince someone of something is often fruitless. The natural reaction is oppose whatever it is someone is trying to convince you about.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    24 May '11 04:41
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Please point out where I [b]say religious folk are stupid...thanks in advance.[/b]
    What are you calling them then if not stupid? You compare faith in God to the tooth fairy. It seems to me you are comparing the mental ability of children to those of faith.
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Joined
    21 Aug '06
    Moves
    11458
    24 May '11 04:493 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    What are you calling them then if not stupid? You compare faith in God to the tooth fairy. It seems to me you are comparing the mental ability of children to those of faith.
    Deluded, misguided, brain-washed, taken in, irrational in at least one instance, lied to, done a disservice,...

    None of these equate to the charge of stupidity. Moreover will you kindly not reference my faith in the tooth fairy as childish please; I find it very offensive. Just because you HATE the tooth fairy is no excuse for belittling me in my earnest faith that she exists.
  12. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    24 May '11 05:24
    Originally posted by whodey
    What are you calling them then if not stupid? You compare faith in God to the tooth fairy. It seems to me you are comparing the mental ability of children to those of faith.
    If you can see a parallel between your own faith and the faith of children in the tooth fairy, and you also believe that children are stupid for believing in the tooth fairy, then either there are differences between your faiths, or it is you that is admitting to stupidity.
    So it is now up to you to either admit that the children are not as childish or stupid in their faith as you claim, or that there is a difference between their faith and yours.
    So far Agerg's description of his faith seems to me to be no different from yours.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12697
    24 May '11 13:29
    Originally posted by whodey
    Funny, but that is not how Jesus instructed his disciples to bahave. They were sent into cities to preach the word and if rejected, they shook the dust off their feet and moved on to those who have not heard the mssage known as "the good news".

    I think you will find that trying to convince someone of something is often fruitless. The natural reaction is oppose whatever it is someone is trying to convince you about.
    Yes, I agree. Even when they finally realize they are wrong their
    reaction is still to oppose the truth. But I can't help being concerned
    for them anyway and still hope they will get over their subbornness
    and pride and accept the truth that leads to eternal life.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12697
    24 May '11 13:38
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If you can see a parallel between your own faith and the faith of children in the tooth fairy, and you also believe that children are stupid for believing in the tooth fairy, then either there are differences between your faiths, or it is you that is admitting to stupidity.
    So it is now up to you to either admit that the children are not as childish or s ...[text shortened]... and yours.
    So far Agerg's description of his faith seems to me to be no different from yours.
    Children are not stupid to believe in the Tooth Fairy.
    We want them to believe in the Tooth Fairy and
    Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. We see no harm
    in them believing in these things and it makes them
    very excited and happy. Isn't that what we want for
    our childern - to be happy?
  15. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    274
    24 May '11 14:14
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Children are not stupid to believe in the Tooth Fairy.
    We want them to believe in the Tooth Fairy and
    Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. We see no harm
    in them believing in these things and it makes them
    very excited and happy. Isn't that what we want for
    our childern - to be happy?
    So then you need to show the difference between their faith and yours. Or admit that your God has the same degree of evidence as does the Tooth Fairy.

    --- Penguin
Back to Top