1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '13 09:532 edits
    It's a turn of phrase one hears almost ad nauseam here on this Spirituality Forum

"The total summation of your spirituality is [INSERT HERE some small bone of contention or snide reference to a disagreement or criticism that has irritated the writer]..."

example: "The total summation of your spirituality is to just think you are so clever tripping people up by quoting something different they said in a different post".

or

example: "It is now clear that the total summation of your spirituality is to ask why Jesus didn't choose to condemn homosexuality when you could just look it up for yourself".

or

example: "Why should I bother when the total summation of your spirituality is to constantly disagree with what I say".

There are endless applications, clearly.

Is this attempted put down a useful or effective rhetorical device in the toolkit of a person interested in sharing spiritual perspectives with others or a person trying to proselytize?

Does it work for anyone?

Perhaps this thread could be for debating how we debate. 😀😉
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jan '13 10:062 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's a turn of phrase one hears almost ad nauseam here on this Spirituality Forum

"The total summation of your spirituality is [[b]INSERT HERE
    some small bone of contention or snide reference to a disagreement or criticism that has irritated the writer]..."

example: "The total summation of your spirituality is to just think you are s it work for anyone?

Perhaps this thread could be for debating how we debate. 😀😉[/b]
    yawn. gnat straining and camel quaffing extraordinaire, spiritual content, zero.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '13 10:20
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yawn. gnat straining and camel quaffing extraordinaire, spiritual content, zero.
    What is the "spiritual content" of the turn of phrase "The total summation of your spirituality is [INSERT REDUCTIO AD ABSURDUM THING HERE]". You are someone who uses this turn of phrase all the time. What "spiritual content" do you think it contains when you use it?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jan '13 10:261 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    What is the "spiritual content" of the turn of phrase [b]"The total summation of your spirituality is [INSERT REDUCTIO AD ABSURDUM THING HERE]". You are someone who uses this turn of phrase all the time. What "spiritual content" do you think it contains when you use it?[/b]
    perhaps someone might be interested in the content of the thread, personally, for the most part I find them devoid and rather tedious to be honest, sorry, if you post something that interests me, who knows, I may even contribute - regards robbie.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '13 10:271 edit
    perhaps someone might be interested in the content of the thread, personally, I find them devoid and rather tedious, sorry, if you post something that interests me, who knows, i may even contribute.
    This doesn't answer my question, robbie. 😵
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jan '13 10:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    This doesn't answer my question, robbie.
    it was not intended to answer your question FMF, it was intended to tell you that your thread(s) are quite uninteresting, to me that is, no doubt others may feel differently sorry.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '13 10:351 edit
    it was not intended to answer your question FMF, it was intended to tell you that your thread(s) are quite uninteresting, to me that is, no doubt others may feel differently sorry.
    OK, I'll try one more time.

You are someone who uses the turn of phrase mentioned in the OP/thread title all the time. Indeed, you may have even used it several times on the same few pages of a thread, a bit like how you might mention gnats and camels or caravans or dogs whistling over and over again and over again in a a rather peculiar Rupert Pupkin kind of way. So, anyway...

What "spiritual content" do you think this kind of "Reductio Ad Absurdum" taunting contains when you use it? 😵
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jan '13 10:371 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    OK, I'll try one more time.

You are someone who uses the turn of phrase mentioned in the OP/thread title all the time. Indeed, you may have even used it several times on the same few pages of a thread, a bit like how you might mention gnats and camels or caravans or dogs whistling over and over again and over again in a a rather peculiar Rupert Pupkin kind o ent" do you think this kind of "Reductio Ad Absurdum" taunting contains when you use it? 😵
    bye bye FMF, have an interesting day.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Jan '13 19:02
    Originally posted by FMF

"The total summation of your spirituality is [[b]INSERT HERE
    some small bone of contention or snide reference to a disagreement or criticism that has irritated the writer]..."

example: "The total summation of your spirituality is to just think you are ...[text shortened]... s it work for anyone?

Perhaps this thread could be for debating how we debate. 😀😉[/b]
    I imagine you're just trying to goad robbie again. At least you could come out and say so without all the fancy trappings of trying to make this some kind of debating question.

"The total summation of your spirituality..." indeed. I don't make the mistake of assuming you even have a "spirituality". You are not interested in sharing spiritual perspectives with others or proselytizing. Your interest seems to be centered mainly around winning arguments. You know, trying to prove whose "e-peen" is bigger. Frankly, that's not why I came to this thread.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '13 22:50
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    "The total summation of your spirituality..." indeed. I don't make the mistake of assuming you even have a "spirituality". You are not interested in sharing spiritual perspectives with others or proselytizing. Your interest seems to be centered mainly around winning arguments. You know, trying to prove whose "e-peen" is bigger. Frankly, that's not why I came to this thread.
    Frankly, why did you come to this thread?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '13 23:16
    I imagine you're just trying to goad robbie again.
    "again" ... You think robbie needs goading?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '13 23:22
    "The total summation of your spirituality..." indeed. I don't make the mistake of assuming you even have a "spirituality".
    What an absolute zinger! This is even more toe-to-toe badass debating stylee than the "The total summation of your spirituality..." thing I was going on about!
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jan '13 23:37
    I imagine you're just trying to goad robbie again. At least you could come out and say so without all the fancy trappings of trying to make this some kind of debating question.

"The total summation of your spirituality..." indeed. I don't make the mistake of assuming you even have a "spirituality". You are not interested in sharing spiritual perspec ...[text shortened]... ying to prove whose "e-peen" is bigger. Frankly, that's not why I came to this thread.
    transparent, isn't he.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '13 23:461 edit
    transparent, isn't he.
    Oh you're back. OK, here goes. What "spiritual content" do you think this kind of "total summation of your spirituality/reductio ad absurdum" taunting contains when you use it?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 09:472 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Oh you're back. OK, here goes. What "spiritual content" do you think this kind of "total summation of your spirituality/reductio ad absurdum" taunting contains when you use it?
    sigh, why should I dignify such a bitter and contorted misrepresentation of the reality. The statement, 'the total summation of your spirituality', may be summed up as an evaluation of the habitual process of constantly criticising others, while ignoring our own faults and idiosyncrasies. It refers to the lack of spirituality of such a stance, for the truly spiritual person, at ease with others and himself has no need to resort to constant criticism of others whose only aim is to find some kind of perverse gratification by constantly pointing out the faults in others. It appears to me, as I have stated before to be due to a lack of self esteem on the part of those who engage in it, itself a spiritual deficiency, for spirituality should be concerned with ones own well being as well as that of others why?because it is simply not possible to love ones neighbour as oneself, if one does not have a degree of self esteem. It is not intended as a taunt, but as a wake up call.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree