1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 02:201 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    And "What do you do to determine who is trolling, who is ignorant and who is a liar" in online spirituality forums?
    You resort to calling people trolls ~ usually without naming names, though the timing of your pouting usually gives it away ~ more often than probably anyone else in this community.

The problem you have though, Grampy Bobby, is that you need to create and hone a definition which you can apply only to the people you want to;

you need a definition which cannot be applied to you [let's not forget that you yourself have also been called on your spamming and trolling by a few forum stalwarts recently];

and you need a definition which nobody can inconveniently apply ~ on your behalf, as it were ~ to any people here that ~ surprise surprise ~ you never seem to criticize, despite their comparable behaviour or demeanour, presumably because you feel some partisan affinity for them.

You have a tricky task on your hands.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 02:21
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    Well perhaps I have not been around long enough to know how you are. Seemed to me several theists thought your posts to be genuine at first, until you let everybody in on it.
    That's exactly how April Fool's pranks are supposed to work! Duh! 😕
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 02:24
    Sure have you? What was the outcome?
    Well, to use some of your own words, the targets think the 'prank' is genuine at first, until the 'prankster' lets everybody in on it or someone guesses it's an April Fool's joke. The outcome is ~ usually ~ some levity with people having a reflective chuckle about themselves.

You skipped my question: Do you consider every "cleverly fabricated" April Fools joke to be "a lie plain and simple"?
  4. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 02:25
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    That's exactly how April Fool's pranks are supposed to work! Duh! 😕
    I guess. Like I said, I don't know your style.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 02:27
    Then why are you calling it "a lie plain and simple"?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 02:36
    Insightful, yoctobyte....
    I'd say yoctobyte's 'insightfulness' is under a bit of a question mark at the moment. 🙂
  7. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 02:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    Then why are you calling it "a lie plain and simple"?
    At first it was a lie, until it was revealed it was a joke. So, with that being said does a lie that morphs into a joke still remain a lie or joke?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 03:02
    At first it was a lie, until it was revealed it was a joke. So, with that being said does a lie that morphs into a joke still remain a lie or joke?
    Are you still referring to SwissGambit's April Fool's joke?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 03:04
    Originally quoted by Grampy Bobby
    The liar is similar to a troll in that this person lies on purpose to defend their position.
    Do you share yoctobyte's views on what a "lie" is in the context of an April Fools prank?
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 03:351 edit
    No, no; this holiday is known internationally for this sort of stuff. So, it's not just me. Not hardly.

Edit: in fairness, if you had never heard of it before, you certainly could not tell it was supposed to be all in fun from the reactions of the ones caught. What you're supposed to do is be a good sport and admit you got caught out. But only one of the caught, an atheist, did.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 06:17
    Questions: Do you agree or disagree, in part or whole, with this seasoned atheist blogger's assessment of "online activity"? And "What do you do to determine who is trolling, who is ignorant and who is a liar" in online spirituality forums?
    I generally dislike categorizing everyone into distinct categories. I think everyone is ignorant to various degrees in various subjects. I think some people deliberately troll some of the time - but this does not mean they always do, nor does it mean they are not ignorant, or liars.
    I think there are some people who lie to defend their beliefs - but again, this doesn't mean that everything they say is a lie or that they do not genuinely believe what they claim they do. Its more like a parent explaining to a child why something is so, because they are in a hurry, or don't know how to explain something, or simply don't know why something is what it is, they make up a lie as an explanation.
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 06:50
    ...I would say there is plenty of arrogance as well! and it is in the form of knowing everything, something I personally don't give much credence to....
    I've noticed quite a few times before that many theists confuse "(lack of) knowledge" with "(lack of) arrogance".

Erroneously, of course.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 09:00
    recently went to a Comedy Club - first act started with
    An Englishman, a Scotsman and an Irishman walked into a bar .... actually that's a lie which I am telling for comedic effect ...
    don't think we'll be seeing much of him again
    lying b@$t@^D
  14. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 09:59
    [b]"The troll among the ignorant

"I am an Atheist and this is why. Reasons why I became an atheist, and exploring myths of religions. New blogs on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and every second Sunday. Other days if I post it will be either memes or other funnies.

Wed., 5 March 2014 "The troll among the ignorant" [i]Every blogger, debater ...[text shortened]... to determine who is trolling, who is ignorant and who is a liar" in online spirituality forums?[/b]
    Grampy Bobby, i typically don't respond to any of your threads for the exact reason twi stated his list. I just don't have the time avalible to read all that material. Plus you rarely post your own true thoughts, without quoting from other articles.
  15. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 10:02
    The rare moment i sit on a computer for over 30 minutes is rare indeed. To take the time to look up quotes from some other web sight, it isn't going to happen, not often anyways.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree