1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 04:16
    Originally posted by FMF
    How should the local people react to these things? If RBHill means that they should "turn the other cheek" what does that actually mean in this case?
    I got the impression that he meant he thought they were overreacting and they
    need to let the authorities handle this and they should get over their desire for
    revenge before more violence breaks out. However, you may have to ask him
    for a more accurate understanding to be clear.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 04:20
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I got the impression that he meant he thought they were overreacting and they
    need to let the authorities handle this and they should get over their desire for
    revenge before more violence breaks out.
    Don't the local people have the right to demonstrate, to take revenge, and to take action that might help persuade the foreign power to leave their country? If the roles were reversed, and it was in America, and Americans were the victims of a massacre by someone from a base belonging to an occupying Afghan army, would you be counselling your fellow Americans to "get over it" and not to "overreact"?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 04:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    Don't the local people have the right to demonstrate, to take revenge, and to take action that might help persuade the foreign power to leave their country? If the roles were reversed, and it was in America, and Americans were the victims of a massacre by someone from a base belonging to an occupying Afghan army, would you be counselling your fellow Americans to "get over it" and not to "overreact"?
    Apparently, you are in the mood to argue, so I will just leave it to RBHill to
    argue with you, if he wishes to do that.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 04:42
    Apparently, you are in the mood to argue, so I will just leave it to RBHill to
    argue with you, if he wishes to do that.
    Well, this is an excellent way of discussing "The True Meaning Of Turn The Other Cheek". If you don't want to explain or justify what you have said, or if you are unable to discuss how the concept of turning the other cheek applies in this case, then that is fine. It's a genuine moral issue as well as a very topical one. It wouldn't surprise anyone, I'm sure, to find you are unwilling/incapable of addressing something serious like this, even when it is directly connected to a thread you yourself started.
  5. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 07:26
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Who says its the cheek on the face?
    What cheek does the scripture refer? I thought the term used was "turn" and not "spread".
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 07:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well, this is an excellent way of discussing "The True Meaning Of Turn The Other Cheek". If you don't want to explain or justify what you have said, or if you are unable to discuss how the concept of turning the other cheek applies in this case, then that is fine. It's a genuine moral issue as well as a very topical one. It wouldn't surprise anyone, I'm sure, to ...[text shortened]... ng serious like this, even when it is directly connected to a thread you yourself started.
    You do not want to discuss, but you want to argue. It is clear that the accused
    soldier is in custody and our Government has apologized for the incident and
    will take appropriate action against the accused soldier. According to the Holy
    Bible, vengeance belongs to the Lord and He will handle it probably through the
    government officials in this case. So the afghans should cool it to allow time
    for the legal system to work. If it does not, then they have the right to protest
    for proper justice. This in no way means they do not have the right to defend
    themselves. But our Government is not attacking the Afghan people and I will
    not argue the truth of my statement on this matter, which I know you wish to
    do.
  7. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 07:43
    government officials in this case. S ...[text shortened]... le and I will
    do.
    Didn't Panetta say the guy could get the death penalty.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 09:35
    Originally posted by moon1969
    The soldier, whom the military has not named, has yet to be charged. He turned himself in to his fellow Americans after the killings and could face the death penalty, Panetta has said.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/14/world/asia/afghanistan-shooting/index.html
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 09:52
    government officials in this case. S ...[text shortened]... le and I will
    do.
    If the roles were reversed, and it happened in America, and Americans were the victims of a massacre perpetrated by someone from a base belonging to an occupying Afghan army, would you be counselling your fellow Americans to "get over it", "turn the other cheek", and not to "overreact"?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 10:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    If the roles were reversed, and it happened in America, and Americans were the victims of a massacre perpetrated by someone from a base belonging to an occupying Afghan army, would you be counselling your fellow Americans to "get over it", "turn the other cheek", and not to "overreact"?
    Of course.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 11:14
    Of course.
    Even at the risk of being seen as a collaborator by fellow Americans who want to see an end to the occupation by a foreign power?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 11:40
    Originally posted by moon1969
    But not if it is established that he was insane, or that he'd suffered a mental breakdown that was shown to be equivalent to insanity, presumably?
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 15:45
    Sorry, for confusing you two. But of course I disagree with both of you in
    bascially the same ways. I do try to follow Christ as betst as I can. But'surely you are not saying I must be as good as Christ in presenting the Good news. I
    believe, if someone gets mad at me when I present the turth of a spirituall
    matter, then that is there problem. I am just going to think I did a good job.
    So no I'm not saying anyone can do as Jesus did unless you are perfect which you are not.
    You're still not getting the point but I hope someday you will.

Ephesians 4:22
    The Message (MSG)

20-24 But that's no life for you. You learned Christ! My assumption is that you have paid careful attention to him, been well instructed in the truth precisely as we have it in Jesus. Since, then, we do not have the excuse of ignorance, everything—and I do mean everything—connected with that old way of life has to go. It's rotten through and through. Get rid of it! And then take on an entirely new way of life—a God-fashioned life, a life renewed from the inside and (((( working itself into your conduct as God accurately reproduces his character in you.))))

My suggestion for you is to read this scripture over and over and get the meaning of it!!!!!

We as Christians have the respondsability to represent Jesus and the message he teached and in the manor he teached. One can have all the knowledge in the world in his head but if he does not practice what he preaches, he is a hypocrite.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 17:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    Even at the risk of being seen as a collaborator by fellow Americans who want to see an end to the occupation by a foreign power?
    Apples and Oranges. 😏
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 17:15
    Originally posted by galveston75
    So no I'm not saying anyone can do as Jesus did unless you are perfect which you are not.
    You're still not getting the point but I hope someday you will.

Ephesians 4:22
    The Message (MSG)

20-24 But that's no life for you. You learned Christ! My assumption is that you have paid careful attention to him, been well instructed in the truth prec ...[text shortened]... ge in the world in his head but if he does not practice what he preaches, he is a hypocrite.
    I have paid cose attention to his actions of making a whip to drive out the money
    changers and turning over the tables. I paid attention when he called some people
    names, like hypocrites, serpents, brood of vipers, fools and blind guides.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree