1. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jan '10 01:44
    this is not about the three parts of the brain ( rat, mammalian and primate ).

i read a book 30 years ago about the discussion that man has two souls and not one. one soul is human and the other is animal. it is really a discussion of the higher and lower appetites ( not the freudian view of the id, ego, etc. ) but rather actually two SOULS.

the author disucssed plato but i do not recall the reference.

do you think man has two souls entwined in one place who struggle to survive together ?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Jan '10 05:01
    Originally posted by reinfeld

i read a book 30 years ago about the discussion that man has two souls and not one. one soul is human and the other is animal. it is really a discussion of the higher and lower appetites ( not the freudian view of the id, ego, etc. ) but rather actually two SOULS.

the a ...[text shortened]... ce.

do you think man has two souls entwined in one place who struggle to survive together ?
    Do you mean like the little 'devil and 'angel' that sit on your shoulder and tell you to do things?
  3. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 09:43

Modern Christianity offers that the human being has one soul, but people who follow other religions and other traditions believe otherwise; some say that probably there are many intelligent little souls in the human body -they are known for example as chakras, and many methods of healing and well-being are connected with the accurate communication between them “little souls”. The Eastern are meditating over chakras in order to have them activated for several purposes.

And the qblh meditators recognize a soul that activates the physical body of the human beings and of the animals -the Goof. And they are aware of the existence of Nephesh that lingers after death: when the body dies Nephesh tries to look for another one, and this is a ghost that is not very sharp because it is solely able to hold its previous pattern it had when the body was alive.
    And beyond Nephesh there is Ruach, the intelligent soul or the human soul. You can see Ruach dancing like a flame in the people’s eyes. Furthermore, the Holy Guardian Angel is an even deeper soul and it is known as Neshamah -and this is considered the first immortal soul.

So Nephesh is the thing that makes your friends think your ghost is present when they feel some intangible thing and suddenly see it as you, and at a given point of time Nephesh will die too. The Ruach survives in books, buildings and works of art, but it will too pass away if not deliberately kept alive because it depends also on physical things or people still living. But Neshamah is immortal, they say.

In the East, Theravanda Buddhism denies the existence of the soul as Rahula explains at his “What the Buddha thought”, however this approach is false regarding the Mahayanna and Vajrayana Buddhism perspective: the Tibetans versed in Dzogchen can easily comment about the soul in bardo. Also, even Hinayana Buddhism accepts the existence of the soul -and Theravada is a variation of Hinayana!

Since all the Buddhist schools accept the reality of the 500 previous lifes of Gautama Budda, in which his self Sunetra was always the same, many people cannot understand why Buddha offered the concept of No-Self -but that's another story
    😵
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 16:05
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Modern Christianity offers that the human being has one soul, but people who follow other religions and other traditions believe otherwise; some say that probably there are many intelligent little souls in the human body -they are known for example as chakras, and many methods of healing and well-being are connected with the accurate communication betwe ...[text shortened]... eople cannot understand why Buddha offered the concept of No-Self -but that's another story
    😵
    So is the Nephesh like those animated like 'soul-images' I see in my peripheral vision when I pass a statue? Say like one of those red indian statues they have outside of tobacconists?
  5. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 16:32

I think people have one brain. The brain has many facets, and must mediate between powerful and conflicting impulses at times, but the "soul" is an artifact of the brain's activity and how through action that activity is perceived by others.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 17:531 edit
    Originally posted by PBE6
    I think people have one brain. The brain has many facets, and must mediate between powerful and conflicting impulses at times, but the "soul" is an artifact of the brain's activity and how through action that activity is perceived by others.
    I think the brain is the result of the souls activity. Not that there is such a thing as a soul.
  7. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 17:551 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I think the brain is the result of the souls activity. Not that there is such a thing as a soul.
    Why would you think that? That's backwards.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 18:53
    Why would you think that? That's backwards.
    Exactly!!! Its backwards from our backwards perspective.

Oh to feel the sweat pour of your back and enter into Nirvana and realize you had it all backwards from the start. Spirit is unshakeable. It waits like a parent with open arms to its child, eternally patient!
  9. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 19:04
    Exactly!!! Its backwards from our backwards perspective.

Oh to feel the sweat pour of your back and enter into Nirvana and realize you had it all backwards from the start. Spirit is unshakeable. It waits like a parent with open arms to its child, eternally patient!
    Sweating down my back sounds great, but Nirvana broke up when Cobain died in '94. 🙄

The unfortunate fact is that your brain is in charge of everything you do. In a lot of ways, it is you. Spirit is something people like to talk about when they're not peeing or passing food from yesterday. It's a wonderful world, but it's not that wonderful.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 22:38
    Sweating down my back sounds great, but Nirvana broke up when Cobain died in '94. 🙄

The unfortunate fact is that your brain is in charge of everything you do. In a lot of ways, it is you. Spirit is something people like to talk about when they're not peeing or passing food from yesterday. It's a wonderful world, but it's not that wonderful.
    It is for me. Even when I'm sweating my backside off carrying my lazy children down the road to the park in 40 degree heat after a killer hangover come headache. Life is wonderful. And for such a heathen as me to get such blessings from 'god' to give me such joy is nothing short of miraculous. I did nearly go mad,mind you, but I didn't, and thats the main point.

And all physical systems arise from the spiritual/non-material realm,even though it may seem the other way around.
  11. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 04:02
    And all physical systems arise from the spiritual/non-material realm,even though it may seem the other way around.
    Every idea you just used, including physical systems, spiritual realms, paradox, and even the language you used and the grammar/syntax you used to organize your thoughts, was the product of meat thinking. There's no ghost in the machine.
  12. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 09:29
    Every idea you just used, including physical systems, spiritual realms, paradox, and even the language you used and the grammar/syntax you used to organize your thoughts, was the product of meat thinking. There's no ghost in the machine.
    Is a person when just born that person her/ himself, or is s/he some one else?
    😵
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 09:30
    The "ghost in the machine" theory has its problems too, but I think its on the right track to understanding who we are.
    After all none of the scientists can find anywhere in the body that could be called an observer. Its quite a problem for Newtonian scientists .
  14. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 18:51
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Is a person when just born that person her/ himself, or is s/he some one else?
    😵
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but that baby is that baby. Were you referring to reincarnation? If so, no, no person who has lived before is inhabiting that baby, seeing out through that babies eyes. That baby is just that baby, nothing more, nothing less.
  15. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 18:55
    The "ghost in the machine" theory has its problems too, but I think its on the right track to understanding who we are.
    After all none of the scientists can find anywhere in the body that could be called an observer. Its quite a problem for Newtonian scientists .
    The "ghost in the machine" idea isn't a theory as it doesn't meet any of the criteria as far as I know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree