1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 16:19
    someone i used to work with told me that god can forgive every sin except one; his brother was training to become a priest and told him every sin is forgivable in the eyes of god but one, he said this knowledge was well known among priests and clergymen though he was not allowed to say what this unforgivable sin was...

does anyone know? is this mentioned anywhere in the bible?

any info on this would be appreciated; thanks
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 16:25
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    someone i used to work with told me that god can forgive every sin except one; his brother was training to become a priest and told him every sin is forgivable in the eyes of god but one, he said this knowledge was well known among priests and clergymen though he was not allowed to say what this unforgivable sin was...

Matthew 12:31: Therefore I say unto you, Every sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men; but the blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven.

There is a parallel passage at Mark 3:28-30
  3. Earth Prime
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 22:25
    www.blasphemychallenge.com
  4. CA, USA
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 01:27
    I've heard the "unforgivable sin" was suicide.

Too late to ask forgiveness.
  5. Joined
    12 Feb '07
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 01:36

Not beliveing in God.
  6. Joined
    12 Feb '07
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 01:38
    Originally posted by jammer
    I've heard the "unforgivable sin" was suicide.

Too late to ask forgiveness.
    John Paul II said that it is not our place to judge the souls of the dead. The Catholic Church used to believe that suicide was a sin that sent you straight to hell. Now they say its a sin, but say that it is up to God.
  7. Standard memberEAPOE
    Earl of Rochester
    Restoration London
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 01:391 edit
    Originally posted by zambony
    Not beliveing in God.
    Believing in a cultural fairytale. . . .
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 03:43
    I would get in on this, but then you wouldn't believe it anyway.
  9. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 13:41
    Originally posted by josephw
    I would get in on this, but then you wouldn't believe it anyway.
    go on, i'm intrigued
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 13:581 edit
    does anyone know?
    Keeping the secret to yourself? Or is that one forgivable?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 22:20
    go on, i'm intrigued
    How familiar are you with the bible?
  12. Earth Prime
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 22:52
    Originally posted by josephw
    How familiar are you with the bible?
    Don't beat around the bush. If you have something to say, say it. This isn't the time for interrogations. If he doesn't understand what you say, he'll either ask for clarification or disregard you because he doesn't care. This is a forum, not a chat where you can ask pointless questions before making your statement.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 23:06
    Originally posted by Coconut
    Don't beat around the bush. If you have something to say, say it. This isn't the time for interrogations. If he doesn't understand what you say, he'll either ask for clarification or disregard you because he doesn't care. This is a forum, not a chat where you can ask pointless questions before making your statement.
    Well said.
  14. Joined
    12 Feb '07
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 09:14
    We have to keep the context in mind. In the account, the "learned" people of the time we saying that Jesus cast out demons by the power of Beelzebul. Jesus replied, eventually, by saying that blasphemy against the Spirit is unforgiveable.

Jesus even says that a word said against Him is forgiveable, but not against the Holy Spirit (Mt. 12:32).

My only thought about this is that it falls on the unsaved. People who are saved, and living that life would not say a word against Jesus, let alone the Spirit. But this is something we may never truly understand, so I can't even begin to wrap my mind around it.
  15. CA, USA
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 09:21
    Originally posted by jonesyuno34
    We have to keep the context in mind. In the account, the "learned" people of the time we saying that Jesus cast out demons by the power of Beelzebul. Jesus replied, eventually, by saying that blasphemy against the Spirit is unforgiveable.

Jesus even says that a word said against Him is forgiveable, but not against the Holy Spirit (Mt. 12:32).
    ...[text shortened]... is something we may never truly understand, so I can't even begin to wrap my mind around it.
    Then God must not be a fan of free speach .. which makes the USA a Godless nation.

A single word against the Holy Spirit (whatever that is) and you're damned for eternity .. no Mulligans, no "do overs", no oopsys, no never ever having a chance at redemption.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree