1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 11:34
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Surely, if you don't "know" god exists (as does RBHILL) then you are an agnostic, rather than an out and out theist? As in (from Answers.com)

often 'Faith' (Christianity). The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.
    I think it's dangerous to claim such knowledge...A person may believe in God, or the Tao, or the FSM due to unshakeable intuitive conviction, but may have no knowledge of God (or the Tao, or the FSM) beyond that.

My wife often knows who's at the other end of the line before picking up the phone, but she doesn't know how she knows it. She does trust her intuition though.

It's my intuition, rather than my reasoned belief, that there is something out there / within, but I can't say what...
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 12:00
    Surely, if you don't "know" god exists (as does RBHILL) then you are an agnostic, rather than an out and out theist? As in (from Answers.com)

often 'Faith' (Christianity). The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.
    Many of us are not as secure as RBHill.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 12:10
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I imagine theists have been plagued with doubt ever since they were in a position to lose something.
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 12:11
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I believe you missed the word "in" there.... mental, huh?
  5. Cosmos
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 12:53
    I ask you, good theists of the world (or at least the forums), how many of you believe in alien abduction? Or flying pigs? Santa Claus? The tooth fairy? Or that Vietnamese people have dug tunnels under the entire surface of the planet?

What is my point? I'm sure most of you have got it already - you're a clever bunch. I bet most of you don't be ...[text shortened]... I believe in? God, satan, santa, and my right pinky, or logic and reason?
    Why do people believe in God? Because they have been TOLD to believe in God.

How DARE you compare Santa to God!!!

Unlike God, Santa DID once exist, you know.
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 13:54
    Originally posted by howardgee
    Why do people believe in God? Because they have been TOLD to believe in God.

How DARE you compare Santa to God!!!

Unlike God, Santa DID once exist, you know.
    The point that eluded you, HG, is that you can't go back indefinitely through history and merely have this "telling" moving from generation to generation -- pretty soon you have to end up with either God or the inception of the idea of God.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 14:06
    Originally posted by Halitose
    The point that eluded you, HG, is that you can't go back indefinitely through history and merely have this "telling" moving from generation to generation -- pretty soon you have to end up with either God or the inception of the idea of God.
    Yes, at some point people must have invented God and carried on telling the story.

What did people tell each other before that?
  8. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 14:06
    I ask you, good theists of the world (or at least the forums), how many of you believe in alien abduction? Or flying pigs? Santa Claus? The tooth fairy? Or that Vietnamese people have dug tunnels under the entire surface of the planet?

What is my point? I'm sure most of you have got it already - you're a clever bunch. I bet most of you don't be ...[text shortened]... I believe in? God, satan, santa, and my right pinky, or logic and reason?
    I see your delimma. You're looking at the whole picture and it's too big to swallow, therefore it must not be true.
    Tell me, how does one integratea curve in 3 dimentions to find the area under it? With calculus, you say. Yes, but before you could understand calculus you had to understand algegra. And before you could understand alegbra, you had to understand the basics of math. So then, does calculus not exist because not everybody can do it? Of course not. Anybody can learn calculus if they put the time into it. The same is true of God. Don't jump in at the calculus level and get frustrated. Start with basic math and progress.
    What is the spiritual equivalent of basic math? The Bible. Trusting the Bible is like trusting your basic math skills. Both can take you far.

DF
  9. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 14:44
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Yes, at some point people must have invented God and carried on telling the story.

What did people tell each other before that?
    Need I point out the assumption in your post?
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 15:01
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Need I point out the assumption in your post?
    It's not that different from the assumption that your world view is based on.
  11. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 15:05
    It's not that different from the assumption that your world view is based on.
    Fair comment. I never asserted to the contrary.
  12. London
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 15:09
    It's my intuition, rather than my reasoned belief, that there is something out there / within, but I can't say what...
    As I said elsewhere, human beings are spiritual beings.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 15:29
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    As I said elsewhere
    I'm beginning to suspect that your avatar is what you really look like.
  14. London
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 15:421 edit
    I'm beginning to suspect that your avatar is what you really look like.
    That would be fun, wouldn't it? LOL

EDIT: I know which avatar you're referring to.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 15:43
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    That would be fun, wouldn't it? LOL

EDIT: I know which avatar you're referring to.
    Ha ha ha ha ha, good one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree