Theists, a question:

Theists, a question:

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
30 Mar 08

Suspend your belief in God...just for a moment. What difference would it make?

I don't necessarily mean to you personally (although, feel free to answer along those lines if you are so inclined), but I mean in the everyday observation of the reality that surrounds us. Would 2+2 still = 4?

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
30 Mar 08

Originally posted by David C

I don't necessarily mean to you personally (although, feel free to answer along those lines if you are so inclined), but I mean in the everyday observation of the reality that surrounds us. Would 2+2 still = 4?
What about the same question in reverse?

DMM

USA

Moves
30 Mar 08

Originally posted by knightmeister
I would feel some type of pseudo-content, yet a sudden fear and hate of many people in the world.

Cape Town

Moves
31 Mar 08

Only if the Bible did not claim it was 5.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
31 Mar 08

How about you take a stab at this before you drag the thread off topic? The reverse question has been "asked and answered" many times over in this forum.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Mar 08

It's odd that you should start this thread with that question. Just the other day I was thinking, what if Noah hadn't built the ark? Or Abraham hadn't had Issac? Or Jesus hadn't died on the cross and been resurrected?

The answer to your question is this. If there were no God, then there would be no life at all. It's that simple.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
31 Mar 08

The reverse question has been "asked and answered" many times over in this forum.
OK, that sounds an awful lot like FKBH cop-out.

KM, I suppose I would have to start by trying to determine which religion was actually endorsed by God, and then start living it. Now, your turn.

Cape Town

Moves
31 Mar 08

Originally posted by josephw
It's odd that you should start this thread with that question. Just the other day I was thinking, what if Noah hadn't built the ark? Or Abraham hadn't had Issac? Or Jesus hadn't died on the cross and been resurrected?

The answer to your question is this. If there were no God, then there would be no life at all. It's that simple.
I think you have highlighted the problem with his question.
If you believe in God then you probably cannot conceive of a reality where there is no God and certainly cant really 'suspend' your belief.
He might as well have asked us atheists - "suppose the universe did not exist ....".

How would you react if somebody presented convincing evidence that the story of Noah could not be true?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Mar 08

Originally posted by twhitehead
I think you have highlighted the problem with his question.
If you believe in God then you probably cannot conceive of a reality where there is no God and certainly cant really 'suspend' your belief.
He might as well have asked us atheists - "suppose the universe did not exist ....".

How would you react if somebody presented convincing evidence that the story of Noah could not be true?
You would have to prove that there wasn't a universal flood.

Go ahead. Prove that the story of Noah isn't true. If you can, then I will suspend my belief in God.

Z

Moves
31 Mar 08

who says noah built the ark? 😀

Z

Moves
31 Mar 08
1 edit

Go ahead. Prove that the story of Noah isn't true. If you can, then I will suspend my belief in God.
errm, you cannot make the entire human race come out of only 2 old people and 3 other couples.(4 couples) there would be some retarded babies comming out.

or even still make all the rabbit population come out of a pair of rabbits, the adam and eve of the rabbits.

EDIT: here is one more: australia has kangaroos. nevermind that i don't think they are on the list of noah's zoo. if the flood happened, how come all the freakin kangaroos got from mount ararat(that's where noah's row boat supposedly crashed i think) to australia? is australia so nice that the kangaroos would want nowhere else to live? and did they swim there?

Cape Town

Moves
31 Mar 08
1 edit

Why? Does 'universal flood' = > Noah story true?

So your belief in God is dependent on the story of Noah being true? Interesting. But then I don't believe you.

Cape Town

Moves
31 Mar 08

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
errm, you cannot make the entire human race come out of only 2 old people and 3 other couples.(4 couples) there would be some retarded babies comming out.

or even still make all the rabbit population come out of a pair of rabbits, the adam and eve of the rabbits.
Why not? It was, after all, a miracle.

Z

Moves
31 Mar 08

Originally posted by twhitehead
Why not? It was, after all, a miracle.
😀
read my edit, did the kangaroos miraculously grew wings and flew to australia? lots of miracles, happy times.

Cape Town

Moves
31 Mar 08

I do not believe the word 'proof' can properly be used outside of mathematics. Thats why I used the phrase 'convincing evidence'. I do think that the scientific evidence against a global flood is overwhelming, but then that isn't proof is it?
What I do claim is that the scientific evidence against the Noahs ark story is so significant that one must come to the conclusion that God intentionally hid the evidence. That leaves me wondering why he would do such a thing after giving away the secret in the Bible. Maybe its one of those no-proof clauses where God cannot ever leave evidence of his interfering for fear that people will loose their faith.