1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Oct '08 16:01
    I frequently hear discussions about the root of the economic crisis. I hear things like "bad loans", "risky investments", "Wall Street greed", "consumerism gone amuck", etc. But what I haven't heard yet is any thoughts about our "times" lacking a theology. I hear a lot about "values", but what I'm talking about is deeper. Has our lack of a theology played a role in our economic crisis?
  2. Subscriberjb70
    State of Confusion
    Lancashire
    Moves
    11 Oct '08 19:18
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I frequently hear discussions about the root of the economic crisis. I hear things like "bad loans", "risky investments", "Wall Street greed", "consumerism gone amuck", etc. But what I haven't heard yet is any thoughts about our "times" lacking a theology. I hear a lot about "values", but what I'm talking about is deeper. Has our lack of a theology played a role in our economic crisis?
    Your question implies the ordinary guy in the street has some responsibility for this.Most of us are living an honest life with our GOD has we each understand HIM.We are victims of manipulation born out of greed.
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Oct '08 19:37
    Originally posted by jb70
    Your question implies the ordinary guy in the street has some responsibility for this.Most of us are living an honest life with our GOD has we each understand HIM.We are victims of manipulation born out of greed.
    I am operating from the belief that we all play a role on some level. Indeed, some of us are hard working and honest, but the basis for my question is that we are all "related" and that what I am hearing is "It's MY money that's gone."

If I hear a candidate that says "I will promise lower taxes, higher standards of living, better healthcare, lower gas prices, less corruption, am I not just hearing a modern version of the temptation in the garden?
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Oct '08 19:44
    Here is some more "theology" of our times.

Unhelpful for establishing the tone McCain sought in Davenport was the Rev. Arnold Conrad, past pastor of the Grace Evangelical Free Church. His prayer before McCain arrived at the convention center blocks from the Mississippi River appeared to dismiss faiths other than Christianity and cast the election as a referendum on God himself.

"I would also pray, Lord, that your reputation is involved in all that happens between now and November, because there are millions of people around this world praying to their god - whether it's Hindu, Buddha, Allah - that his opponent wins, for a variety of reasons," Conrad said.

"And Lord, I pray that you would guard your own reputation, because they're going to think that their god is bigger than you, if that happens. So I pray that you will step forward and honor your own name with all that happens between now and Election Day," he said.

---
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Oct '08 19:55
    Your question implies the ordinary guy in the street has some responsibility for this.
    It is my understanding that a large number of ordinary guys in the street took out mortgages that they could not afford to pay off. They used the property they were buying as collateral and put down no down payment. The value of the collateral dropped, the guys in the street not only couldn't afford to pay off their mortgage but had no incentive to even try to as it now made better monetary sense to be foreclosed and start a new mortgage on a cheaper house.
    The guy in the street is partly responsible. The institution that lent him the money is partly responsible. As for the financial meltdown we can add in the guys who invested heavily in the mortgage business without realizing the poor business practices going on and therefore the massive risks they were taking.
  6. Joined
    18 Dec '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '08 20:29
    Very recently I read an article about a similar subject and this quote from the text is in direct link with your worries Rev:

"In 1932, James A. Farrell, president of US Steel, tried to persuade then Governor Franklin Roosevelt that economic depression was 'caused by disobedience to divine law', and that the only cure was a mix of spiritual revival and unprecedented powers for corporate leaders."

Perhaps my American brothers should present the wise words of Mr. Farrell to the current leaders of your country.

source: http://www.religiondispatches.org/archive/religiousright/562/this_is_not_a_religion_column:_biblical_capitalism/
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 01:173 edits
    Here is some more "theology" of our times.

Unhelpful for establishing the tone McCain sought in Davenport was the Rev. Arnold Conrad, past pastor of the Grace Evangelical Free Church. His prayer before McCain arrived at the convention center blocks from the Mississippi River appeared to dismiss faiths other than Christianity and cast the election as honor your own name with all that happens between now and Election Day," he said.

---
    The good reverend might want to read 1 Samuel 8. It is where the children of Israel reject God and choose a human king to rule over them instead. If nothing else, it is an interesting read and with a warning to go with it. The people were not swayed by the warning and God then gave them a king. God then said that the people can have their way but when man cries out to God because of the evil the rulers inflict upon the people don't expect him to hear their cries.
  8. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 11:16
    Yes...our lack of theology (and morals) have led to this mess.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 11:57
    Originally posted by bill718
    Yes...our lack of theology (and morals) have led to this mess.
    And denying evolution...
    Proof: The mess started in US of A.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 12:17
    I think the doomsday cult of evangelical Christianity has actually contributed to it. They WANT doom! It signals Jesus coming to prove they are better than the rest of us. Plus lots of people they don't like will suffer under Jesus' smitings which I'm sure makes them very happy.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 12:18
    That and buying houses you couldn't afford.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 14:44
    Has our lack of a theology played a role in our economic crisis?
    What do you mean by "our lack of a theology"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree