1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 12:05
    Originally posted by muppyman
    Can there possibly be any point at all to this perrenial argument? When all the usual insults, accusations, and rebuttals have been hurled across the dividing line, all the protagonists will still ineviteably cleave to the same opinion they started with. What a waste of such impressive debate from such convincing oratory. If only it had a hope of going somewhere.
    Agreed. But there is hope! At least we keep talking to each other.
  2. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 12:183 edits
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    "Do not pass by my epitaph, traveler.
    But having stopped, listen and learn, then go your way.
    There is no boat in Hades, no ferryman Charon,
    No caretaker Aiakos, no dog Cerberus.
    All we who are dead below
    Have become bones and ashes, but nothing else.
    I have spoken to you honestly, go on, traveler,
    Lest even while dead I seem loquacious to you. circular reasoning of spiritual exploration. Live life for yourself and those you hold dear.
    How different is the pleasure you feel from the pleasure of others?
    How different is the pain or the understanding of things.

When you are dead those feeling will still go on in others almost
    identically. The collection of those memories is all that will be missing.

Memories more divorced from the you as a child than the people
    you pass on the street everyday.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 13:10
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    how bout you do exactly what you just told me to do?
    I have. Everywhere in this forum. You should try to not only read my posts, but think about what you read more thoroughly through before you reach conclusions you cannot substantiate. I say this not as a rebuke, but because I really care.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 13:15
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    My list wouldn't include any names.

Jesus was a false idol as all gods are.
    You had better hope you're right.

I'll be here to help try to convince you otherwise in case you should find some evidence to change your mind.
  5. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 14:50
    Originally posted by josephw
    I have. Everywhere in this forum. You should try to not only read my posts, but think about what you read more thoroughly through before you reach conclusions you cannot substantiate. I say this not as a rebuke, but because I really care.
    i prayed and never got answered; that's my excuse. 😕
  6. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 17:38
    You had better hope you're right.

I'll be here to help try to convince you otherwise in case you should find some evidence to change your mind.
    I have looked for it. I have "opened my heart" as many Christians have suggested and other things too, but nothing.

I am open to actual evidence, but I haven't seen any - even when people have given what they see as evidence it often is pretty thin at best.

If there is a god then I find it hard to believe that it would give me an intellect and expect me to forgo its use to believe.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 21:43
    I have looked for it. I have "opened my heart" as many Christians have suggested and other things too, but nothing.

I am open to actual evidence, but I haven't seen any - even when people have given what they see as evidence it often is pretty thin at best.

If there is a god then I find it hard to believe that it would give me an intellect and expect me to forgo its use to believe.
    Oh no, don't forgo the use of your intellect just to believe. It's your intellect by which you discover what is true from false. The notion that one would have "blind faith" is misleading. But don't discount your spirit either. If the Bible is true, then we are tripart beings. Body, soul, and spirit. They work together.

Evidence? I just love this argument about there being no evidence. Is it really necessary that God should appear physically in the sky and announce His existence for all to see, so that no one would doubt His existence? We are not that stupid.

If there is no evidence for the existence of God, then the converse is true as well. There is no evidence for there not being a God either. There is just something wrong with that.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 21:54
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    i prayed and never got answered; that's my excuse. 😕
    Try this. The answers are already in the word of God the Bible. I know this is unacceptable to you. Give yourself to God without reservation and all your prayers will be answered.

Think for a minute. You discount God's existence because He didn't answer your prayers. Does God know you? Does He know what you need? Are you the only one He doesn't listen to? Maybe you prayed to the wrong God. When you get to know Him you will know that He is good, and has your best interests and well being in mind. But He will not treat you like a helpless victim. He will not do for you what you can do for yourself. Maybe you need to differentiate between the two.
  9. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 21:541 edit
    Oh no, don't forgo the use of your intellect just to believe. It's your intellect by which you discover what is true from false. The notion that one would have "blind faith" is misleading. But don't discount your spirit either. If the Bible is true, then we are tripart beings. Body, soul, and spirit. They work together.

Evidence? I just love this argumen ...[text shortened]... e is no evidence for there not being a God either. There is just something wrong with that.
    I just love this argument about there being no evidence. Is it really necessary that God should appear physically in the sky and announce .

I didn't make that argument. I didn't say anything about that did I. I asked for evidence - I didn't say what form that evidence had to take.

You have claimed there is evidence - show it to me!

If there is no evidence for the existence of God, then the converse is true as well. There is no evidence for there not being a God either. There is just something wrong with that

The onus is on those who claim it exists to provide the evidence that it exists.

I don't believe in the tooth fairy because there is a lack of evidence, not because there is evidence against it existing. Same with god.

Show me the evidence and I'd believe. Just like if you show me evidence the tooth fairy exists, I'll believe in the tooth fairy.
  10. weedhopper
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 04:25
    I prayed and was answered. And Pascal's Wager seems like a lead-pie cinch to me.
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 04:291 edit
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I prayed and was answered. And Pascal's Wager seems like a lead-pie cinch to me.
    So you're betting on the christian god? How do you think that's the most probable one?

I don't think I could force myself to believe in something just out of a wager.
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 04:31
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    And Pascal's Wager seems like a lead-pie cinch to me.
    You've got to be kidding.
  13. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 04:47
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    You've got to be kidding.
    Yikes!
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 06:44
    If there is no evidence for the existence of God, .....
    But do you admit that there is no evidence?
  15. weedhopper
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 04:05
    So you're betting on the christian god? How do you think that's the most probable one?

I don't think I could force myself to believe in something just out of a wager.
    It was a joke. Apparently not a very good one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree