1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 16:59
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "The only one that matters, in the scheme of human life,
    is where will I live once my time on earth has expired."

[seems you dismissed/]
    All you are doing is demonstrating that you are absolutely convinced you are right. I have responded to your OP and you have ignored it... just something about I am a "fool" and I have "upside down" priorities. OK, understood: you are absolutely convinced you are right. Is that all you've got? No argument? No evidence? Just your own certainty? What's the use of that to people who think for themselves or to people who have developed beliefs that are different from yours?
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 18:50
    [b]There's only one question worth answering.

It isn't what house or car to buy; nor is it coming up with some partial resolution to age old speculations about the age of the earth, the origin of man or the number of angels able to dance on the head of a pin. The only one that matters, in the scheme of human life, is where will I live once my time on earth has expired. That chapter begins the moment you die.
    .[/b]
    IF There is an afterlife.
    AND IF what we do or think in this life effects what that afterlife is like.
    THEN it becomes important to consider that as a factor in how you live your life.

However there is not only no evidence for the existence of ANY afterlife, but there is
    considerable evidence that there is no afterlife and when you die you simply cease to exist.

It is thus not reasonable to spend ANY time considering the afterlife UNTIL such a time as
    evidence is presented that an afterlife exists.

In the case where there is no afterlife (reality) then what happens to you after you die is
    the least important thing to consider.

The important stuff is how you live your one short life here on earth.

And this obsession with regarding life as simply preparation or waiting room for an afterlife
    is one of the more dangerous aspects of religious belief.

THIS LIFE right here and now is what is important because there is NOTHING ELSE.

If you want to convince us otherwise you must provide EVIDENCE that your position is right
    and that an afterlife exists.

We know YOU believe (and many other's like you) that there is an afterlife and that you know
    how to get into it.

However someone believing something is NOT EVIDENCE THAT IT IS TRUE.

I don't give a damn how hard you believe you are right.

If you want to convince me you must PROVE that you are right.

In your later example about a bridge being down, If someone doubted you were right you could
    take them to the bridge and show them it was down.

Show me the downed bridge.

Show me the evidence.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 20:04
    Originally posted by FMF

All you are doing is demonstrating that you are absolutely convinced you are right. I have responded to your OP and you have ignored it... just something about I am a "fool" and I have "upside down" priorities. OK, understood: you are absolutely convinced you are right. Is that all you've got? No argument? No evidence? Just your own certainty? What's the use of t ...[text shortened]... ho think for themselves or to people who have developed beliefs that are different from yours?
    "All you are doing is demonstrating that you are absolutely convinced you are right. I have responded to your OP and you have ignored it... just something about I am a "fool" and I have "upside down" priorities. OK, understood: you are absolutely convinced you are right. Is that all you've got? No argument? No evidence? Just your own certainty? What's the use of that to people who think for themselves or to people who have developed beliefs that are different from yours?"

Not here to argue; to present evidence for the defense; to feed anyone's feeding frenzy for stroking or the thumbing applause of fellow pilgrims in the park. Thought one declarative statement was worth a thread: "There's only one question worth answering." Disagree, fine.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 20:05
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    [b]IF There is an afterlife.
    AND IF what we do or think in this life effects what that afterlife is like.
    THEN it becomes important to consider that as a factor in how you live your life.

However there is not only no evidence for the existence of ANY afterlife, but there is
    considerable evidence that there is no afterlife and w ...[text shortened]... o the bridge and show them it was down.

Show me the downed bridge.

Show me the evidence.[/b]
    Your question?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 20:25
    Not here to argue; to present evidence for the defense; to feed anyone's feeding frenzy for stroking or the thumbing applause of fellow pilgrims in the park. Thought one declarative statement was worth a thread: "There's only one question worth answering." Disagree, fine.
    If you don't want to discuss the topic in the OP, what is it you want to discuss?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 21:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you don't want to discuss the topic in the OP, what is it you want to discuss?
    There's no discussion without some semblance of shared vocabulary of concepts and frame of context.

Purpose, to provoke serious thought concerning decisions in this life and their ramifications in the next.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 22:30
    Your question?
    You state that there is only one question worth answering.

You state that question is "Where will I live once my time on Earth has expired?"

My response is to say that the evidence demonstrates beyond all reasonable doubt
    that there is no afterlife and so that question is both boring and answered.

You simply cease to exist.

Given that your OP is clearly wrong.

I am saying if you wish to continue to claim that there is an afterlife and that you know
    how to get there and that it is thus an interesting and worthwhile question then you
    must produce the evidence to justify that your claim is correct.

So my question is "Where is the evidence that you are correct?"

Or more succinctly.

Show me the evidence.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 22:35
    There's no discussion without some semblance of shared vocabulary of concepts and frame of context.

Purpose, to provoke serious thought concerning decisions in this life and their ramifications in the next.
    You must prove that there is a next life and what it is like and what the rules are for
    governing it before we can even start considering what the ramifications are for our
    actions in this life in the next.

There are no ramifications for the next life if there is no next life.

Prove that the next life exists and then we can have a discussion.
  9. Joined
    02 Apr '08
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 00:05

It isn't what house or car to buy; nor is it coming up with some partial resolution to age old speculations about the age of the earth, the origin of man or the number of angels able to dance on the head of a pin. The only one that matters, in the scheme of human life, is where will I live once my time on earth has expired. That chapter begins the moment you die.
    .[/b]
    No, there are many questions that are very important in our lives. They determine how we will spend the time allotted to each of us. In all of our lives there comes a point when we have to decide about the question , does God exist and do I want a relationship with Him. This is a very important question. Each of us must, and by the grace of God in revealing Himself to us, answer this question. If we go positive we will recieve gospel information and then the decision is on us. Do I believe that Christ died for me or not? It is quite a simple question but the answer does have profound repercussions. Do I want to spend eternity With God in heaven or the alternative. It's up to you. Acts 16:31, John 3 : 16.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 03:15

.[/b]
    Doesn"t the Holy Bible already answer that question? It is just up to each of us to determine where we fit in, if we wish. Many atheist just don't give a damn. 😏
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 03:43
    Feed people just enough truth, they'll accept your authority and buy into half truths mixed with error and blatant lies. Unfortunate choice of topic.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 05:04
    Feed people just enough truth, they'll accept your authority and buy into half truths mixed with error and blatant lies. Unfortunate choice of topic.
    What "lies" and "error" are you referring to?
  13. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 07:22

.[/b]
    Not true. It is a question without answers. Many have attempted to know but none who are alive can claim to truly know. That is why we humans have invented so many religions and philosophies.
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 10:35
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Not true. It is a question without answers. Many have attempted to know but none who are alive can claim to truly know. That is why we humans have invented so many religions and philosophies.
    Not true.

Unless you require knowledge to be absolutely 100% certainty (in which case you can't know
    anything at all whatsoever about reality other than the fact that it exists) then it is totally
    possible to answer the question.

If you allow knowledge to be probabilistic then you can know whether or not there is an afterlife.

If you don't allow knowledge to be probabilistic then you must necessarily also claim that we
    can't know whether or not the earth is a flat disk sitting on top of 4 elephants who are standing
    upon the back of a giant star turtle flying through space.

If you baulk at the idea of not being able to know that the world is an irregular oblate spheroid
    then the question is simply how probable something must be before you can claim it as knowledge.
    (which may be question dependent)

Even if you don't allow knowledge claims about anything probabilistic then you can still say that
    it's overwhelmingly more probable that the earth is an irregular oblate spheroid and you can also
    perfectly justifiably say that it is overwhelmingly more probable that there is no afterlife.

If you would think it reasonable for someone to claim that a lottery will not be won if it has odds
    comparable to most modern day national lotteries but only one ticket has been sold.
    Then you should also think it reasonable for someone to claim that there is no afterlife.

And unreasonable for anyone to claim that there is.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 12:55
    Of course there are numerous horizontal decisions to be made during our 65 or 80 or 100 years vertical on this spinning planet we call home. This fleeting chapter of finite matters begins shortly after birth and concludes when our brains stop and our bodies have no choice but to die. Prior to our departure there's only one question of infinite consequences and inestimable worth: Where will I live on for eternity. Thread topic attempts to focus diverse interests and attention spans on answering it. As kiki46 points out, doing so is a highly individual matter. No wonder it failed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree