1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 03:04
    There's only one question worth answering.

It isn't what house or car to buy; nor is it coming up with some partial resolution to age old speculations about the age of the earth, the origin of man or the number of angels able to dance on the head of a pin. The only one that matters, in the scheme of human life, is where will I live once my time on earth has expired. That chapter begins the moment you die.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 05:173 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]There's only one question worth answering.

It isn't what house or car to buy; nor is it coming up with some partial resolution to age old speculations about the age of the earth, the origin of man or the number of angels able to dance on the head of a pin. The only one that matters, in the scheme of human life, is where will I live once my time on earth has expired. That chapter begins the moment you die.
    .[/b]
    I would say, fair enough, if people want to speculate about "eternal life" etc. Good for them if it pushes their buttons.

But, really, if someone ends up believing that "there's only one question worth answering" in life [and that question is "where will I live once my time on earth has expired?"] then they have my sympathy that they have been reduced to placing such importance on a dreary dead end question like this to which people pluck "answers" out of thin air, consisting of nothing more than wishful imagination.

The wonderful thing about the human spirit is that there are countless - maybe infinite - questions worth answering and we have the astonishing set of abstract abilities that enables us to both ask them and seek their answers, and to explore and embrace the way they interlock to create the human condition.

The claim that "there's only one question worth answering" amounts - at least to my way of thinking - to a form of self-perpetuating helplessness and surrender, and an abdication on the part of the human spirit.

Asking "Where will I live once my time on earth has expired?" is, at its very essence, the clearest, purest example of "counting the number of angels able to dance on the head of a pin" that we can engage in.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 09:57
    Originally posted by FMF

I would say, fair enough, if people want to speculate about "eternal life" etc. Good for them if it pushes their buttons.

But, really, if someone ends up believing that "there's only one question worth answering" in life [and that question is "where will I live once my time on earth has expired?"] then they have my sympathy that they have been reduced to p ...[text shortened]... the number of angels able to dance on the head of a pin" that we can engage in.
    Do needful things first. All else, then, finds its rightful place.

Only a fool goes about the business of life with his priority

crib sheet upside down. The wise know the clock's ticking.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 10:44

In other words, speculating about the afterlife is a "priority" for you. Fair enough. But another "priority" you seem to have - whether it is unwitting or whether it is all you've got, I don't know - is to bandy about words like "fool" and "wise" when you talk to people who have different beliefs from you, which sometimes makes it sound like you spent too much time during your life talking to 6 year old nephews and nieces or browbeating employees who figured out they just had to endure your pompous assertions. So here we are. You reckon my take on life is "upside down". Good for you. So? Am I supposed to feel like I'm really in a discussion about spirituality, now... someone has called me a fool... good grief...?
  5. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 10:48

Where will I live after I die really is angels dancing on the head of a pin.

The better question would be along the lines of "how do I live this life in the best way I can?".

This of course sparks further questions concerning how we define a 'good' life. At which point, this comic strip might be apropos:
    http://zenpencils.com/comic/100-carl-sagan-pale-blue-dot/

--- Penguin.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 11:29

.[/b]
    It's all about you, isn't it?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 12:50

.[/b]
    That speculation is called obsession. It only serves to keep you from fully engaging in real life.
  8. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 13:20

.[/b]
    I thought people of absolute faith KNEW where they going after death and do you think your god will appreciate his creation being reduced to be of such little importance that it is not worth asking questions about it?
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 15:011 edit
    If the bridge on a busy commuter highway was out and you knew it, would you get out of your car and flag down oncoming drivers...
    or sit there nursing your (now) cold morning coffee, contemplating your own intellectual gambits and speculations about life?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 15:36
    If the bridge on a busy commuter highway was out and you knew it, would you get out of your car and flag down oncoming drivers...
    or sit there nursing your (now) cold morning coffee, contemplating your own intellectual gambits and speculations about life?
    Your analogy does not constitute an argument or evidence. It merely demonstrates that you are absolutely convinced you are right. No one disputes that that you are absolutely convinced you are right. So your analogy does not move the discussion forward.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 15:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your analogy does not constitute an argument or evidence. It merely demonstrates that you are absolutely convinced you are right. No one disputes that that you are absolutely convinced you are right. So your analogy does not move the discussion forward.
    Please forget the anal ogy; the arg u ments; and evi dence. Just answering the question

posited will move us along. Endless fingerings of self serving cud chit (and chat) won't.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 15:51
    Please forget the anal ogy; the arg u ments; and evi dence. Just answering the question posited will move us along. Endless fingerings of self serving cud chit (and chat) won't.
    Perhaps you did not read my response to your OP? I did answer the question. I suggested that the premise that 'There's only one question worth answering" is nonsense and also a bit tragic. If you're interested in debate, perhaps you should address what I said, rather than post over and over again re-asserting that you are absolutely convinced you are right.
  13. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 15:52
    Find a new route using sat nav (technology),others could do the same and be warned through radio (technology), coffee would be hot by using Thermos flask(technology),could discuss intellectual contemplations with others using wi-fi (technology). Technology can't develop without people asking questions about world and can provide alternatives.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 16:421 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

Perhaps you did not read my response to your OP? I did answer the question. I suggested that the premise that 'There's only one question worth answering" is nonsense and also a bit tragic. If you're interested in debate, perhaps you should address what I said, rather than post over and over again re-asserting that you are absolutely convinced you are right.
    "The only one that matters, in the scheme of human life,
    is where will I live once my time on earth has expired."

[seems you dismissed/]
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jan '13 16:44
    Originally posted by OdBod

Find a new route using sat nav (technology),others could do the same and be warned through radio (technology), coffee would be hot by using Thermos flask(technology),could discuss intellectual contemplations with others using wi-fi (technology). Technology can't develop without people asking questions about world and can provide alternatives.
    Wouldn't you be motivated to do first things first,
    letting secondary and tertiary things wait?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree