1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 13:10
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    No wonder it failed.
    I think it failed because the assertion that "There's only one question worth answering" does not withstand scrutiny. The only evidence you've offered is your own certainty that you're right, and that those who disagree with you are "fools" or are telling "lies" or are in "error" or whatever it was you were chuntering on about. You made the assertion in your OP and then failed to argue its corner in a worthwhile or persuasive way.
  2. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 14:51
    Of course there are numerous horizontal decisions to be made during our 65 or 80 or 100 years vertical on this spinning planet we call home. This fleeting chapter of finite matters begins shortly after birth and concludes when our brains stop and our bodies have no choice but to die. Prior to our departure there's only one question of infinite consequen ...[text shortened]... ering it. As kiki46 points out, doing so is a highly individual matter. No wonder it failed.
    But you have essentially said "there's only one question of infinite consequences and inestimable worth: How do we defeat Sauron?"

Until there is evidence that Sauron actually exists and is intending to conquer Middle-Earth, the question is pointless and you should fully expect to have that pointed out in the discussion.

Likewise, until there is evidence of an afterlife, the question of how to secure your position in that afterlife is equally pointless and you should not be surprised to have that pointed out to you.

--- Penguin.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 15:49
    Originally posted by Penguin

But you have essentially said "there's only one question of infinite consequences and inestimable worth: How do we defeat Sauron?"

Until there is evidence that Sauron actually exists and is intending to conquer Middle-Earth, the question is pointless and you should fully expect to have that pointed out in the discussion.

Likewise, until there is ...[text shortened]... qually pointless and you should not be surprised to have that pointed out to you.

--- Penguin.
    "How do we defeat Sauron?"

We don't. That's His job.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 16:561 edit
    Of course there are numerous horizontal decisions to be made during our 65 or 80 or 100 years vertical on this spinning planet we call home. This fleeting chapter of finite matters begins shortly after birth and concludes when our brains stop and our bodies have no choice but to die. Prior to our departure there's only one question of infinite consequen ...[text shortened]... ering it. As kiki46 points out, doing so is a highly individual matter. No wonder it failed.
    The question only has "infinite consequences and inestimable worth" if there IS actually an afterlife.

How is it that you can't see that the question that comes before "what kind of experience will you have
    in the afterlife?"
    is "IS THERE an afterlife?"?

You have to know whether an afterlife actually exists AND what it's properties/rules are before
    you can have a discussion about what kind of afterlife you will end up in.

Otherwise it's like arguing over who would beat who, The United Federation Of Planets (from Star Trek)
    or The Empire (from Star Wars)... (The Empire wins... no contest)

It might be a fun discussion but has nothing to do with reality unless and until you can demonstrate that
    the Federation and Empire actually exist.

EDIT: And I know you BELIEVE that you 'know' the answer to the question "Is there an afterlife?".
    However believing you know the answer to a question does not mean you actually know the answer.

And it absolutely doesn't make for any kind of convincing argument for anyone who doesn't already believe the
    way you do.

This is absolutely (as has been said) in the territory of "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?".
    To answer that you need to first demonstrate that angels exist. Then demonstrate what their size/properties are.
    THEN you can answer the question of how many can dance on the head of a pin.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 17:03
    [b]"How do we defeat Sauron?"

We don't. That's His job.[/b]
    Do you intentionally not get the point?
    Or is it purely accidental that you always miss it?
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 18:06
    If the bridge on a busy commuter highway was out and you knew it, would you get out of your car and flag down oncoming drivers...
    or sit there nursing your (now) cold morning coffee, contemplating your own intellectual gambits and speculations about life?
    What if everyone you flagged down could see from their car that the bridge was perfectly intact, how much time would you waste trying to convince them it had in fact collapsed into the river?
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 18:46
    Originally posted by kevcvs57

What if everyone you flagged down could see from their car that the bridge was perfectly intact, how much time would you waste trying to convince them it had in fact collapsed into the river?
    Terrific Question: Prostrate myself on that highway, if I was on my game.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 19:10
    Terrific Question: Prostrate myself on that highway, if I was on my game.
    So instead of thinking that there might be something wrong with you, that you might be say, hallucinating.

You assume that there is something wrong with EVERYONE else who looks at the bridge and sees it intact.

Ok well this is a metaphor for your belief that there is an afterlife and that we are all the people heading
    towards a bad afterlife and you want to stop us because unlike us you can see the fate that awaits us...

In the metaphor you claim you would "Prostrate [yourself] on that highway" to stop us from crossing the
    bridge.
    Which in reality aught to map to you doing everything you possibly could to convince us that you were right...

So why is it that in reality you are presenting the absolute worst case for your beliefs and using totally flawed
    and unpersuasive arguments while totally refusing to explain yourself properly, respond to questions, or even
    (frequently) present your case in coherent English?

If you genuinely believe that I for example am going to hell for not believing in your god and you genuinely want
    to stop that why is it that you utterly refuse to answer my questions?
    Even when those questions are simply for a clarification of your posts so that I actually understand what you
    have written.

The fact that in reality you act in an utterly different way to the way you seem to imagine yourself to be acting in
    the hypothetical indicates that you are either delusional or are being a hypocrite...

Which is it?
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 19:36
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    So instead of thinking that there might be something wrong with you, that you might be say, hallucinating.

You assume that there is something wrong with EVERYONE else who looks at the bridge and sees it intact.

Ok well this is a metaphor for your belief that there is an afterlife and that we are all the people heading
    towards a bad afterlife ...[text shortened]... othetical indicates that you are either delusional or are being a hypocrite...

Which is it?
    Say it with a dozen words (as is the count of the post you're quoting) and we'll listen.
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 19:47
    Say it with a dozen words (as is the count of the post you're quoting) and we'll listen.
    You really are the fridge magnet king, incapable of comprehending everyday complexity.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 19:51
    Ok.

Lets do this in bite-size easy to digest chunks for those with the attention span of a brain-damaged gold fish...

You opened by stating that...

There's only one question worth answering.
    ..... "[W]here will I live once my time on earth has expired[?]" ....

My bite-sized response....

How do you know that you will live anywhere after you die?
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 21:02
    Ok.

Lets do this in bite-size easy to digest chunks for those with the attention span of a brain-damaged gold fish...

You opened by stating that...

[b]There's only one question worth answering.
    ..... "[W]here will I live once my time on earth has expired[?]" ....

My bite-sized response....

How do you know that you will live anywhere after you die?[/b]
    Our creator isn't a half-wit.
    He does things to perfection.
    He created human beings
    for relationship with Himself.
    We have an eternal destiny.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 21:03
    The question only has "infinite consequences and inestimable worth" if there IS actually an afterlife.

How is it that you can't see that the question that comes before "what kind of experience will you have
    in the afterlife?"
    is "IS THERE an afterlife?"?

You have to know whether an afterlife actually exists AND what it's pr ...[text shortened]... .
    THEN you can answer the question of how many can dance on the head of a pin.
    sorry i cant let this slide.

despite loving star wars (original trilogy only)and hating star trek (im using hate for dramatic purposes). the federation beat the borg...........the empire were defeated by ewoks, i rest my case.

sorry for the interruption on with the debate.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 21:032 edits
    You really are the fridge magnet king, incapable of comprehending everyday complexity.
    We all have our shortcomings and peccadilloes.
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 21:05
    Our creator isn't a half-wit.
    He does things to perfection.
    He created human beings
    for relationship with Himself.
    We have an eternal destiny.
    HE sounds rather self absorbed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree