1. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 20:231 edit
    Originally posted by Cog
    because if a christian could actually think they wouldn't buy into all that fantasy and fallacy called religion. i wouldn't expect the village idiot to be able to think that through.
    How original. Am I going to be treated to another spectacular proof by assertion, or are you going to explain how religion is a fallacy?
  2. Joined
    05 May '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 20:272 edits
    Originally posted by Halitose
    How original. Am I going to be treated to another spectacular proof by assertion, or are you going to explain how religion is a fallacy?
    i don't have to be original to be correct. belief in religion requires that you ignore rationality and logical thinking processes. i cannot make it any more clear for than that. of course anyone on this planet is free to be as ignorant as they like so i'm sure you'll continue muttering requests to some invisible thing in the sky.
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 20:32
    Originally posted by Cog
    i don't have to be original to be correct. belief in religion requires that you ignore rationality and logical thinking processes. i cannot make it any more clear for than that. of course anyone on this planet is free to be as ignorant as they like so i'm sure you'll continue muttering requests to some invisible thing in the sky.
    Argumentum ad ignorantiam. The fallacy here is yours, not mine.

I'm still waiting for your proof that religion is illogical.
  4. Joined
    05 May '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 20:55
    Actually it's not. but as i've already stated belief in religion requires a short circuit in rational thinking processes. that's probably why you need this explained to you 3 times.
  5. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 20:581 edit
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Argumentum ad ignorantiam.
    Now, this one was harder. There was no match in the excellent latin to english dictionary I found.

Guess it wasn't that great, eh?..

http://www.freedict.com/onldict/lat.html
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 21:03
    Originally posted by Cog
    Actually it's not. but as i've already stated belief in religion requires a short circuit in rational thinking processes. that's probably why you need this explained to you 3 times.
    Could you offer an example of how religion or faith did not short circuit a rational thinking process?
  7. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 21:30
    Originally posted by stocken
    Now, this one was harder. There was no match in the excellent latin to english dictionary I found.

Guess it wasn't that great, eh?..

http://www.freedict.com/onldict/lat.html
    Its an argument from ignorance. Cog claims that he cannot possibly conceive of a deity therefore a deity doesn't exist. Its a logical fallacy, since reality does not necessarily hinge on what is conceivable.
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 00:53
    Originally posted by Cog
    i wouldn't expect the village idiot to be able to think that through.
    RHP's village idiot is one of the smartest people here.
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 00:58
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    RHP's village idiot is one of the smartest people here.
    Who did you have in mind?
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 01:02
    Disgusted with the outcome of the 2004 presidential election and the debate over moral issues, an electric group of thinkers launched the organization in June, 2005.

Their meetings are charged with energy, they have magnetic
    personalities, they study current events and they are a lightning rod
    for society.
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 02:33
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Who did you have in mind?
    Not a holy man.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 03:34
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Don't you see how that sounds a bit presumptuous?

Nevertheless, for the sake of argument, let's say that we accept the authority of the Christian texts as certified by God. If we also consider the Qur'an in the same terms, we find some contradictions in the self-revealtion of God. How do we decide the relative merits of the competing claims?

I submit t ...[text shortened]... stian.

* I don't know this about you--I'm making an assumption for the sake of argument.
    Presumptuous, to a fault. There are those who accept all that the church (RCC or otherwise) has posited, since the time of the apostles, hook, line and sinker, without a second thought to veracity. Unlike some who question even the questions, they rest firmly in their trust of greater minds hashing out the bigger things, to (what they believe are) good results.
    There are others who want to know why they believe what they are told to believe, as their trust in man is limited. They 'search the Scriptures daily, to see if these things are so,' constantly second-guessing their first guesses, never resting. Emphatically, again, never resting.
    There are some in the creases in between.

This is a simplified view of the church, orthodox Christian, and spectrums of varying degrees of the same.

In juxtaposition, anything outside of the Christian perspective is in opposition of the truth. You are asking to hold as equal something not equal to the Word of God. We should expect to see contradictions. You rightly assume that merits must be considered to determine the veracity of the competing claims. And the beauty of the concept of human freedom is this: each of us gets to determine our own faith and fate.

I think you are almost absolutely correct in your submission. Environment, however, is not everything, and this is where your submission loses ground. There are a plethora of examples from either society of those darting over to the 'other side's' faith. Plenty of examples of Muslims turning to Jesus, and Christians renouncing their roots to adopt the way of the Qu'ran. Just as in a democracy, it really means... not a lot. Each person's vote is just each person's vote. Nothing man does can change gravity's pull to the earth on all falling bodies. Truth is truth.

I think the accident of my birth is really no accident at all (unless you ask my dad!): I was born in the US where Christianity is dominant, only because God knew I wasn't strong enough to fight any other tides to get to the truth.
  13. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 03:45
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I think the accident of my birth is really no accident at all (unless you ask my dad!): I was born in the US where Christianity is dominant, only because God knew I wasn't strong enough to fight any other tides to get to the truth.
    Doesn't this entail that, generally speaking, those who weren't born in predominantly Christian countries are stronger than those of us who were? If, as you claim, God made it the case that you were born in the U.S. because you wouldn't have been strong enough to "fight the tides", then aren't you committed to the claim that, generally speaking, those born in the midst of those "tides" were allowed by God to be born therein because they are, in some respect, stronger than you are?
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 03:46
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Doesn't this entail that, generally speaking, those who weren't born in predominantly Christian countries are stronger than those of us who were? If, as you claim, God made it the case that you were born in the U.S. because you wouldn't have been strong enough to "fight the tides", then aren't you committed to the claim that, generally speaking, those born in ...[text shortened]... owed by God to be born therein because they are, in some respect, stronger than you are?
    You catch on fast.
  15. Subscriberwidget
    NowYouSeeIt
    NowYouDon't
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 03:48
    Surf's up... 😉 Idiots! 🙄 Grab your boards! 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree