1. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 01:11
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Gandhi motivated people to change themselves. Gandhi doesn't do the moving. He inspires us to move.---ringwett--

in·spire (n-spr)
    v. in·spired, in·spir·ing, in·spires
    v.tr.
    1. To affect, guide, or arouse by divine influence.

Exactly , Ghandi works (consciously or otherwise) in conjunction with the Spirit. We become in- spired (or in spirited) . Ever wondered how this happens?
    Don't be obtuse.
    You know very well what his intention was with the use of the term inspired.
    We use the term in a completely non-supernatural sense constantly.

I get 'inspired' to go surfing when I read a good book about it or watch a film. Does this mean the book or film filled me with some magical spirit? Of course not.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 03:16
    Gandhi motivated people to change themselves. Gandhi doesn't do the moving. He inspires us to move.---ringwett--

in·spire (n-spr)
    v. in·spired, in·spir·ing, in·spires
    v.tr.
    1. To affect, guide, or arouse by divine influence.

Exactly , Ghandi works (consciously or otherwise) in conjunction with the Spirit. We become in- spired (or in spirited) . Ever wondered how this happens?
    Your selectivity is par for the course. See only the definition you want to see.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 07:48
    Truth for me needs to be functional and have the ability to be lived.
    Strange statement there.
  4. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 18:55
    Originally posted by amannion
    Don't be obtuse.
    You know very well what his intention was with the use of the term inspired.
    We use the term in a completely non-supernatural sense constantly.

I get 'inspired' to go surfing when I read a good book about it or watch a film. Does this mean the book or film filled me with some magical spirit? Of course not.
    No the book does not inspire you directly. You become inspired by the book being a catalyst for something else.
  5. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 18:57
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Your selectivity is par for the course. See only the definition you want to see.
    I will admit it was a bit playful but I think you will agree that it is not actually Ghandi who literally inspires or empowers us . He may do it metaphorically , but not literally.
  6. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 18:59
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Strange statement there.
    How so?

BTW - Have you noticed that not one person as yet seems to have actually followed the link?
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 19:15
    How so?

BTW - Have you noticed that not one person as yet seems to have actually followed the link?
    It's strange because you ignore the possibility that the Truth does not fit your prerequisites. The existence of certain unpleasant truths hints at this possibility.

I followed the link, but didn't keep watching once I saw it was an hour long.
  8. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 20:311 edit
    It's strange because you ignore the possibility that the Truth does not fit your prerequisites. The existence of certain unpleasant truths hints at this possibility.

I followed the link, but didn't keep watching once I saw it was an hour long.
    We all have assumptions about the truth before we start out looking for it otherwise we wouldn't know how to start looking. Even science starts out with the assumption that " the truth is to be known by rational enquiry only" . This is an assumption that science cannot prove since any proof depends on a prior assumption anyway. The only way anything can be proved is by pre assuming something else must be true. Goedle's theorem showed this.

BTW - Even I didn't watch the whole thing , 10 mins skim watch should do the trick.
  9. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 21:32
    No the book does not inspire you directly. You become inspired by the book being a catalyst for something else.
    No, the book inspires me.
  10. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 21:45
    No, the book inspires me.
    How queer? What magical or scientific process is at work here then? Is there an energy field associated with the book? Does the turning of the pages create some kind of inspirational static? Of course not. The book is just a collection of sheets of paper , the book does not actually inspire you , something within you is moved or activated by the ideas in the book. What is that something?
  11. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 21:48
    How queer? What magical or scientific process is at work here then? Is there an energy field associated with the book? Does the turning of the pages create some kind of inspirational static? Of course not. The book is just a collection of sheets of paper , the book does not actually inspire you , something within you is moved or activated by the ideas in the book. What is that something?
    My mind ...
  12. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 22:01
    My mind ...
    Ahhh ...so it wasn't the book afterall.....it was your mind. So was the experience of being inspired a purely "mental" process or did it go deeper?
  13. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 22:57
    Ahhh ...so it wasn't the book afterall.....it was your mind. So was the experience of being inspired a purely "mental" process or did it go deeper?
    What's deeper than the mind?
    If you're asking me to start crapping on about spirit and soul, you're talking with the wrong person.
    My mind is it.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 00:01
    We all have assumptions about the truth before we start out looking for it otherwise we wouldn't know how to start looking. Even science starts out with the assumption that " the truth is to be known by rational enquiry only" . This is an assumption that science cannot prove since any proof depends on a prior assumption anyway. The only way anything c ...[text shortened]... his.

BTW - Even I didn't watch the whole thing , 10 mins skim watch should do the trick.
    Yes, but assumptions ought to be questioned, given enough evidence to the contrary. Seeking truth isn't about clinging bitterly to those initial assumptions at all costs.

Sorry, but I'll pass on watching the video. I wouldn't know where to 'skim'. Perhaps you could summarize one or two salient points, or pick your favorite two quotes from it, or point me to a particular time index of interest.
  15. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 10:44
    Yes, but assumptions ought to be questioned, given enough evidence to the contrary. Seeking truth isn't about clinging bitterly to those initial assumptions at all costs.

Sorry, but I'll pass on watching the video. I wouldn't know where to 'skim'. Perhaps you could summarize one or two salient points, or pick your favorite two quotes from it, or point me to a particular time index of interest.
    Much depends on what counts as evidence and what doesn't and what criteria we place at the door of truth. I agree that we should not cling bitterly to any assumptions but we should have the courage of our convictions to follow things through.

The best bit to watch from the link would be from around 5.30 minutes through to 15- 16 minutes , so about 10 minutes. First he tells a story about a disillusioned pastor and then goes on the explain what the compassion of christ actually means. You will see that Brennan's truth is based on personal experience and a Jesus who is functional for him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree