1. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 05:30
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    let's suppose a super advanced technological race exists on alpha centauri. and that it is capable of faster than light speed.

should those beings be required to stop by and help mankind anytime there is an earthquake or a famine? simply because they can and it would mean 5 minutes in their spaceship and another 5 minutes for their matter replicator to give us what we need? are they responsible for us?
    Nobody is 'required' to do anything to help others. However, it is part of the moral equation, that if they do not, they are being immoral - unless there is a 'greater good' counteracting the action.
    So your hypothetical beings, based on what you have told us, would be somewhat immoral if they do not come help out.

What about you. Do you feel you have no responsibility for that dying child in the Sudan? What about the dying alien on alpha centauri? If you could help him with one movement of your little pinky, would you not do so because you are not responsible for him?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 05:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Nobody is 'required' to do anything to help others. However, it is part of the moral equation, that if they do not, they are being immoral - unless there is a 'greater good' counteracting the action.
    So your hypothetical beings, based on what you have told us, would be somewhat immoral if they do not come help out.

What about you. Do you feel you hav ...[text shortened]... movement of your little pinky, would you not do so because you are not responsible for him?
    We do not have the mental capabilities to be able to judge
    God. The Holy Bible says His ways or higher than our ways.
    That is why He is the Judge of Good and evil.
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 05:451 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    We do not have the mental capabilities to be able to judge
    God. The Holy Bible says His ways or higher than our ways.
    That is why He is the Judge of Good and evil.
    Wrong - *we* do have the mental capacitiesReveal Hidden Content
    \"we\" doesn\'t include you
    to judge the morality of an entity primitive humans invented.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 06:12
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Wrong - *we* do have the mental capacities[hidden]\"we\" doesn\'t include you[/hidden]to judge the morality of an entity primitive humans invented.
    So your complaint is with the primative humans, because they
    should have invented a better God.
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 06:17
    So your complaint is with the primative humans, because they
    should have invented a better God.
    They can't really be blamed because they did the best with the intellectual, scientific and moral resources at thei disposal which was pretty limited - as such they invented a crappy god. You on the other hand can be blamed for not using the brains you were born with and exploiting the intellectual treasures that have been gifted to us by the great minds that have long since passed on!
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 06:21
    They can't really be blamed because they did the best with the intellectual, scientific and moral resources at thei disposal which was pretty limited - as such they invented a crappy god. You on the other hand can be blamed for not using the brains you were born with and exploiting the intellectual treasures that have been gifted to us by the great minds that have long since passed on!
    You have discovered my weakness, my retarded brain.
    I must resign and let you have the win this time.
    Good night.
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 06:54
    You have discovered my weakness, my retarded brain.
    I must resign and let you have the win this time.
    Good night.
    If I had any morals I might be tempted to feel guilty for bringing that weakness to your attention - but then again, as far as you're concerned the holey bible says I , as a non believer in your god, have no morals. ;]
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 12:541 edit
    yes, it is god's fault. instead of humans who created that situation. and other humans that refuse to fix it because it is inconvenient.
    It's the fault of all of those that could do something to prevent it. That includes your God, obviously, for whom it would be even more trivial to change things (given the properties you assign to him).

Yet you exonerate Him because it doesn't fit the narrative.
  9. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 18:21
    you aren't saying that mankind is incapable of preventing children from suffering. or preventing anyone from suffering for that matter.

so what are you saying?
    “...you aren't saying that mankind is incapable of preventing children from suffering. ..”

actually, I would say that mankind is currently incapable of preventing children from suffering from SOME kinds of causes.
    For example, mankind is currently incapable of preventing children from suffering from certain genetic diseases.
    So, why would an all loving kind god allow THAT particular child suffering?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Jun '11 02:06
    If I had any morals I might be tempted to feel guilty for bringing that weakness to your attention - but then again, as far as you're concerned the holey bible says I , as a non believer in your god, have no morals. ;]
    That is the Holy Bible, there are no holes there.
    Sorry. I think that means, guilty.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree