1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 May '11 02:34
    twhitehead said:

"Jesus comes across as a man who could apparently walk on water, feed thousands of his followers, raise friends from the dead, but apparently chose not to save anyone else from suffering. So either he couldn't, he chose not to (sadist), or there is some 'greater plan' that some of us do not understand. Christians often claim to understand it all, but seem to have extreme difficulty explaining it to the rest of us.
    Until they succeed, he will continue to look like a sadist from where I stand."

What is so difficult to understand?
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    31 May '11 03:01
    Originally posted by josephw
    twhitehead said:

[b]"Jesus comes across as a man who could apparently walk on water, feed thousands of his followers, raise friends from the dead, but apparently chose not to save anyone else from suffering. So either he couldn't, he chose not to (sadist), or there is some 'greater plan' that some of us do not understand. Christians often claim to underst ...[text shortened]... tinue to look like a sadist from where I stand."

What is so difficult to understand?[/b]
    Well, we now know what the "T" before the Whitehead stands for. 😕
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 May '11 03:451 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Well, we now know what the "T" before the Whitehead stands for. 😕
    Thomas?

You're up late tonight. I couldn't sleep either.

twhitehead should be getting out of bed any time now.
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    31 May '11 04:33
    Thomas?

You're up late tonight. I couldn't sleep either.

twhitehead should be getting out of bed any time now.
    It's the shank of the evening for sure. 🙂
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 May '11 22:05
    It's very difficult to understand why you would become a christian.

But I suspect he didn't quite mean that.
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    31 May '11 22:361 edit
    twhitehead said:

[b]"Jesus comes across as a man who could apparently walk on water, feed thousands of his followers, raise friends from the dead, but apparently chose not to save anyone else from suffering. So either he couldn't, he chose not to (sadist), or there is some 'greater plan' that some of us do not understand. Christians often claim to underst ...[text shortened]... tinue to look like a sadist from where I stand."

What is so difficult to understand?[/b]
    What exactly is the extent of your understanding such that you are in a position to condescend those who don't understand? Is it the case you understand only that the lord works in mysterious ways??? 😕 If so then that essentially means you understand bugger all.
  7. England
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 09:41
    Originally posted by Agerg
    What exactly is the extent of your understanding such that you are in a position to condescend those who don't understand? Is it the case you understand only that the lord works in mysterious ways??? 😕 If so then that essentially means you understand bugger all.
    understanding is such that we have the scriptures to know how to live our lives in this world,
    with the promise of eternal salvation in the next life.
    the lord works in mysterious ways, yes we know bugger all on the way he works
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 10:34
    Originally posted by stoker
    the lord works in mysterious ways, yes we know bugger all on the way he works
    So for all you know he could be a sadist?
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 11:12
    i believe it is counterproductive to jump to conclusions on these forums (on any forums actually). he posted a quote by twhite and asked for clarifications . why do you assume he is condescending? past posting? bringing past posting in new discussions is rarely relevant and means we keep going over points having no relation with the discussion
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 11:14
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So for all you know he could be a sadist?
    so you not donating 90% of your money to poor people means you are a sadist?

or the same thing you demand of god doesn't apply to you simply because he is of infinite power?
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 11:314 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    i believe it is counterproductive to jump to conclusions on these forums (on any forums actually). he posted a quote by twhite and asked for clarifications . why do you assume he is condescending? past posting? bringing past posting in new discussions is rarely relevant and means we keep going over points having no relation with the discussion
    Because it's josephw!...he's notorious for it but lacks the foundation to be taken seriously when he does. It's a bit like when RBHILL comes on here; if I see he's posted something I don't even need to see what it is to know its fecked up in some profound way. As for josephw it wouldn't be bad if when he patronizes us he was actually making a half coherent attempt to argue correctly and understand his opponents arguments.

Moreover, far from illuminating us with his deep analysis of what twhitehead said he opted merely for "what's so difficult to understand?" - Now I don't know about you but I'll take that as a sleight against someone's reasoning any day of the week.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 11:36
    so you not donating 90% of your money to poor people means you are a sadist?

or the same thing you demand of god doesn't apply to you simply because he is of infinite power?
    I was responding to stoker who knows bugger all about Gods ways. One of those ways may be sadism.

But essentially, yes. Gods infinite power means that helping others costs him a negligible amount, therefore my excuse for not giving to the poor (it harms me), does not apply to him.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 11:41
    Because it's josephw!...he's notorious for it but lacks the foundation to be taken seriously when he does. It's a bit like when RBHILL comes on here; if I see he's posted something I don't even need to see what it is to know its fecked up in some profound way. As for josephw it wouldn't be bad if when he patronizes us he was actually making a half coherent attempt to argue correctly and understand his opponents arguments.
    then ignore him. i do that with the carrobie, vishva(thank god he took a vacation), and whenever fundies discuss how noah's flood is a scientific fact and evolution has absolutely no merit but "kinds" and stuff evolving from kinds but still keeping kinds does (got a headache from typing the latter)

you have absolutely no chance of explaining this sciency stuff to them. they won't accept it because apparently god will forgive a child molester if he repents but won't forgive a human being for exercising the intelligence god gave him in the first place
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 11:55
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I was responding to stoker who knows bugger all about Gods ways. One of those ways may be sadism.

But essentially, yes. Gods infinite power means that helping others costs him a negligible amount, therefore my excuse for not giving to the poor (it harms me), does not apply to him.
    when everyone has a million dollars given to them by god (the best counterfeiter ever) what will that do to the economy? how about if then everyone wants a million more? how about when the earth becomes cluttered with 6 billion people each having a yacht, 4 ferraris, 2 summer homes and 4 supermodel wives? should god give each and every one of us what we want?

before you say that the above example is exaggerated, i agree. it is. it is only a matter of deciding when someone had enough and stop providing for him/her, like cheat codes for the game of life.

god gave us life (i believe that, have no proof) and the ability to provide for ourselves. and this was given free of charge. you claim that free will is not enough, but he should also magically fix poverty (that we created), pollution (our fault again), diseases (which we can fix for ourselves) and death (or at least stop worthy people from dying ).

when is it enough? is god not permitted to refuse giving out stuff just because he has near infinite power? in many ways bill gates has almost infinite money compared to hobos. is he a sadist because he doesn't feed all the poor in the world or until he has an acceptable amount of money left (and what is that amount). and i ask you again, what is the purpose of life if everything is given to you by the game master?
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 12:06
    when everyone has a million dollars given to them by god (the best counterfeiter ever) what will that do to the economy? how about if then everyone wants a million more? how about when the earth becomes cluttered with 6 billion people each having a yacht, 4 ferraris, 2 summer homes and 4 supermodel wives? should god give each and every one of us what we wan ...[text shortened]... i ask you again, what is the purpose of life if everything is given to you by the game master?
    What about starting simple by not allowing 17000 children die every day from hunger?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree