1. London
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 10:20
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Uh, no, Mr Balkans 2006, no.
    Very nice. I'd give that an 8/10. Do you want to bring out any more stock expressions? I can rate them for you if you want.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 11:27
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Because gays are born that way, didn't you know? Claiming that they'll all become gay would make as much sense as claiming they'll all become black, wouldn't it?

Abortion and contraception, on the other hand, are choices (after all, it's called the pro-choice movement) made in line with one's ideology or worldview.
    No and no.
  3. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 12:29
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Which wing will win? The progressive wing, which likes their bishops gay, or the medieval wing, which does not? My money's on the progressive wing, as any sensible person can see that the pro-gay faction is the wave of the future. The whole thing mirrors the former controversy over inter-racial marriage - formerly shunned, but now almost universally accepte ...[text shortened]... aim it was the Episcopalian Church which was on the forefront of social change in this regard.
    well, there is nothing in the bible about interracial marraige. there is, on the other hand, a few bits about homosexuality. most notably, the bits that say practising it is bad.

the episcopal church in scotland had roughly the same problem-the church said they were going to appoint homosexual ministers. quite a few other ministers objected, and the church hierarchy kinda said "emm. okay." and sort of pretended nothing had happened and they were never going to appoint them in the first place...
  4. London
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 12:381 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    No and no.
    Okay.

So you didn't know that gays were born that way. That's fine -- we all keep learning (apparently).

The second 'no' makes sense only in one of the following scenarios:

(1) Gays are not, in fact, born that way.
    (2) Gays are indeed born that way, but such inclination/activity can be altered.

Which is it?
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 14:18

Which is it?
    There are three possible noes. Which two were they?
  6. London
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 14:20
    There are three possible noes. Which two were they?
    The two that were questions.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 14:26
    The two that were questions.
    That's your assumption!
  8. London
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 14:38
    That's your assumption!
    Sure. Got a better one?
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 14:56
    Sure. Got a better one?
    They're multiplying too quickly for me to count them.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 15:401 edit
    [b/]Okay.

So you didn't know that gays were born that way. That's fine -- we all keep learning (apparently).

The second 'no' makes sense only in one of the following scenarios:

(1) Gays are not, in fact, born that way.
    (2) Gays are indeed born that way, but such inclination/activity can be altered.

Which is it?[/b
    I still don't know that gays are born that way. I suspect that is incorrect or at best, open to debate.
  11. London
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 16:29
    I still don't know that gays are born that way. I suspect that is incorrect or at best, open to debate.
    In which case, (to return to your post which started this line of discussion) your comparison of being gay to choosing to contracept/abort makes sense only if being gay were a choice similar to the latter.

(There's a little bit of ambiguity here because many commentators differentiate between being a 'homosexual' or having homosexual attractions and being 'gay' or living a particular lifestyle. If this sense of 'gay' is being used then it is, indeed, a choice.)

Btw, what happened to your avatar?
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 16:361 edit
    In which case, (to return to your post which started this line of discussion) your comparison of being gay to choosing to contracept/abort makes sense only if being gay were a choice similar to the latter.

(There's a little bit of ambiguity here because many commentators differentiate between being a 'homosexual' or having homosexual attractions an 'gay' is being used then it is, indeed, a choice.)

Btw, what happened to your avatar?
    I define someone as gay who perform sex acts primarily or exclusively with people of the same sex . And I believe that is a choice, though like any other choice various external factors have some bearing on the likelihood of the individual making the choice.

Non-subscribers don't get avatars and I stopped being a subscriber about 4 months ago.
  13. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 17:18
    I define someone as gay who perform sex acts primarily or exclusively with people of the same sex . And I believe that is a choice, though like any other choice various external factors have some bearing on the likelihood of the individual making the choice.

Non-subscribers don't get avatars and I stopped being a subscriber about 4 months ago.
    Does that mean that each gay person had to become gay?
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 17:21
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    Does that mean that each gay person had to become gay?
    No.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree