1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 10:31
    @josephw said
    It's not circular reasoning to say the Bible is inerrant, immutable and infallible. It's God's Word and it's as good as God.
    But that isn’t what you said, is it.
    What you said was an I quote you…

”The truth about the authenticity, immutability, inerrancy, infallibility and veracity of the scriptures is found in the scriptures. “

That is circular reasoning, as you well know.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 10:32
    @josephw said
    I ain't as dumb as I look. 😜
    Dodge noted.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 10:33
    @josephw said
    Of course I will. In time.
    I doubt it.

What will happen is you will be posting here for several days, get your intellectually underwear in a tight prickly knot and the disappear for a few months, like you usually do.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 10:35
    @fmf said
    You sell yourself short, josephw, with constant peripheral "banter" of this kind.
    It his usual way of sidestepping a topic he is already feeling a bit waist-deep in.
  5. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 11:19
    @divegeester said
    Three questions regarding the Bible:

1) is the bible the written word of God, and without error?

2) is the bible the complete word of God, in that no further written instructions will be forthcoming from God?

3) is the bible the exclusive word of God, such that no other historical, contemporary nor future writings, either from within Christendom, Judah or other r ...[text shortened]... critical fundamental in finding the truth.

Thoughts and question responses are invited from all.
    Your questions are irrelevant.

Is there any specific reason you don't question Islam or Hinduism as assiduously as you do Christianity (and by implication, Judaism)?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 13:22

Removed by poster

7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jan '23 12:13
    @kevin-eleven said
    Your questions are irrelevant.
    Irrelevant to what.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jan '23 11:15
    @josephw said
    Of course I will. In time.
    Still waiting, as predicted.
  9. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    07 Feb '23 22:151 edit
    @divegeester said
    Three questions regarding the Bible:

2) is the bible the complete word of God, in that no further written instructions will be forthcoming from God?

3) is the bible the exclusive word of God, such that no other historical, contemporary nor future writings, either from within Christendom, Judah or other r ...[text shortened]... critical fundamental in finding the truth.

Thoughts and question responses are invited from all.
    Late to the party - sorry.

1) It was the written word of God, and when penned I would have thought without error. However, if we look at Catholicism they have two different versions of the bible in circulation; New Jerrusalem, and the Duay - why do you need two different versions in one faith ????. If you look at the the bible as it has been handed down (I include both old and New Testaments) we see things like the name of God removed from his own book (notably Psalm 83:18) but there are other places. And again another common issue that Sonship would battle over was the text at John 1:1 there is an attempt in some transaltions to make it read as though Jesus is God. Does this matter in the big scheme of things? I'm not sure as a general picture it does - depends on what you are researching/debating.

2) Not as I understand it. The bible as it stands takes us to the pont of the end of this system of things (cleansing of the earth) but I'm certain that I have seen reference somewhere to new scrolls for the new system. Now is it complete? - debatable point as there seems to have been at least a hundred books and clearly there has been a pruning, the most notable casualty the Book of Enoch.

3) Christianty and Judah overlap. It must be remembered that the early Christians were Jews and referred to the old Hebrew scrolls in their teachings at the time of Paul and the oroginal apostles. The most compelling strengths spanning the Hebrew and Greek scriptures is prophecy which was and is to be fulfilled. I've never read the Quran, and only know one verse, but there is an overlap between the Quran and The Bible, but unfortunately they cant both be right.

Dogma isn't a great thing, as I think of Dogma as more associated with relgious tradition with reasoning going out of the window. I do agree with your proposition that understanding these points are fundemental to finding the truth. which I don't think is deposited with just one group. Does that mean that it is spread across the other non Christian faiths, I'm not sure, i doubt it - it's down to someone to provide some evidence (I will always rethink my position - very important to keep an open mind).
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '23 08:04
    @medullah said
    Late to the party - sorry.

1) It was the written word of God, and when penned I would have thought without error. However, if we look at Catholicism they have two different versions of the bible in circulation; New Jerrusalem, and the Duay - why do you need two different versions in one faith ????. If you look at the the bible as it has been handed down (I include both ol ...[text shortened]... to provide some evidence (I will always rethink my position - very important to keep an open mind).
    So that’s:

No

No

No

???
  11. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    08 Feb '23 11:58
    More like

1) depends
    2) No
    3) No
    4) in agreement.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '23 07:55
    @medullah said
    More like

1) depends

It either is or it isn’t.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '23 09:16
    @divegeester said

It either is or it isn’t.
    Perhaps it depends on whether or not you mean he New World Translation?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '23 08:211 edit
    @fmf said
    Perhaps it depends on whether or not you mean he New World Translation?
    With regard to point 1 in my OP and for the sake of discussion, I would be happy for any translation to be presented as being that person’s favoured version of the bible which they believe to be the complete, exclusive and erroneous word of God, or their version of god.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree