To make hope possible

To make hope possible

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
01 Aug 17

"To be truly radical is to make hope possible, rather than despair convincing" ~ Raymond Williams

Many of the religionists here are very pessimistic and negative about the world and the people in it, with some even openly expressing their hope for 'the end' to come sooner rather than later. Meanwhile, in 'real life' most religionists I know are quite the opposite. What is it about the religionists who happen to be gathered here?

Moves
01 Aug 17

Originally posted by @fmf
"To be truly radical is to make hope possible, rather than despair convincing" ~ Raymond Williams

Many of the religionists here are very pessimistic and negative about the world and the people in it, with some even openly expressing their hope for 'the end' to come sooner rather than later. Meanwhile, in 'real life' most religionists I know are quite the opposite. What is it about the religionists who happen to be gathered here?
I suspect it is a latent desire to see the world burn, atheists to recieve their just rewards [sic], people like myself who perhaps don't subscribe to those 'just rewards' also get said 'just rewards'. Also to be proved to have been right all along and somehow escape the dreary existence of spiritless joyless right-wing corporate religion. Of course this will all be veneered as a desire to see Jesus returning on clouds of glory, or some other evangelical holy platitude.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
01 Aug 17

Funny how this thread which is bemoaning some kind of imagined "pessimistic and negative" attitudes proceeds to then get all "pessimistic and negative".

Sorry, I don't have time for pissers and moaners.

Moves
01 Aug 17

Originally posted by @suzianne
Funny how this thread which is bemoaning some kind of imagined "pessimistic and negative" attitudes proceeds to then get all "pessimistic and negative".

Sorry, I don't have time for pissers and moaners.
What do you have time for, and why are you so busy when you are an unemployed dog-walker?

Moves
01 Aug 17

The one's that believe a new Heaven and a new Earth where there will be no more suffering?

Moves
01 Aug 17

Angst, often confused with anxiety, is a transcendent emotion in that it combines the unbearable anguish of life with the hopes of overcoming this seemingly impossible situation. Without the important element of hope, then the emotion is anxiety, not angst. Angst denotes the constant struggle one has with the burdens of life that weighs on the dispossessed and not knowing when the salvation will appear.
An airplane crashes into the side of a remote snow-covered mountain; those passengers that worry about their lives without hopes of survival only face anxiety. In contrast, those passengers who worry about their lives with hopes of survival but do not know when the rescue party will arrive face angst.
- urban dictionary

F

Moves
01 Aug 17

Originally posted by @dj2becker
The one's that believe a new Heaven and a new Earth where there will be no more suffering?
Many of these people I am talking about - who you say believe in "a new Heaven" - never seem to talk about a Christian approach to tackling the "suffering" you mention and about making the world a better place.

Instead they hope that the moment soon comes when they get some reward they have been waiting for while billions and billions of non-believers lives are destroyed .

It seems like nothing but profound self-centredness and textbook misanthropy writ large.

What is it about RHP that this kind of attitude to fellow humans is so concentrated here when I rarely come across it in 'real life'? Is it an internet disinhibition thing? Is it largely an American thing?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
01 Aug 17

Agreed.
I have no idea why so many religionists would keep repeating such negative, divisive stuff here, while aspiring to a "god of love" ...