1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 20:331 edit
    Tone of meaning...

Tone of meaning significantly underscores poster attitude in any forum. Quite often the tone in Red Hot Pawn Spirituality Forum threads seems less than relaxed, even tempered and respectful. Rather it verges on combative as in rancorous and unfocused as in 'straining at a gnat', 'forest and trees', etc, as contrasted with other site forums. Wonder why. Thoughts?

gb
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 20:45
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Tone of meaning...

Tone of meaning significantly underscores poster attitude in any forum. Quite often the tone in Red Hot Pawn Spirituality Forum threads seems less than relaxed, even tempered and respectful. Rather it verges on combative as in rancorous and unfocused as in 'straining at a gnat', 'forest and trees', etc, as contrasted with other site forums. Wonder why. Thoughts?

gb[/b]
    religious discussion has always fomented hostility, why? because its concerned with
    the search for truth not that which is merely plausible and like the chess board lies and
    hypocrisy dont last very long. When they are exposed or called into question it is
    natural that people become defensive, for their truth is being questioned, objectivity is
    lost and hostility ensues.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 20:481 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    religious discussion has always fomented hostility, why? because its concerned with
    the search for truth not that which is merely plausible and like the chess board lies and
    hypocrisy dont last very long. When they are exposed or called into question it is
    natural that people become defensive, for their truth is being questioned, objectivity is
    lost and hostility ensues.
    Good point but don't feed this robbie.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 20:481 edit
    [b]Tone of meaning...

gb[/b]
    Because here lies the discussion and disagreement about people's most deeply held fundamental core beliefs,
    those very things that they hold most dear and think define who they are and their place in the world.

This is where you find people who's core beliefs conflict with your own, and where you bare your values for
    scrutiny of others who quite often do not agree.

This naturally leads on occasion to things getting a bit tense.

There is, for example, no easy polite way to tell someone that you think their very core beliefs about who and
    what they are, how the world works, and why they are in it, are wrong.

The very idea of questioning someone's religion, (either by a different theist, but apparently more so when done
    by an atheist) is considered by many to be rude, insulting, and taboo.

However these issues are important and need to be discussed and debated.

EDIT: and of course if you then throw into the mix the usual forum trollage, and the intoxicating liberation of anonymity....
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 20:50
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Because here lies the discussion and disagreement about people's most deeply held fundamental core beliefs,
    those very things that they hold most dear and think define who they are and their place in the world.

This is where you find people who's core beliefs conflict with your own, and where you bare your values for
    scrutiny of others who quite o ...[text shortened]... lting, and taboo.

However these issues are important and need to be discussed and debated.
    Exactly. And you think gb doesn't know this.

What is the point of this OP?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 20:50
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Good point but don't feed this robbie.
    why not i like GB and his posts, hes always quite thoughtful and well meaning.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 20:54
    Ok GB perhaps you would like to give your thoughts on your OP, particularly in reference to your own beliefs?
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 20:58
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Exactly. And you think gb doesn't know this.

What is the point of this OP?
    I don't know, but it's possible the point of the op is a subtle (or not so subtle) dig, at my tone in my responses to his
    posts in another thread. Although the timing could be coincidental, and it has nothing at all to do with it, but
    he did post this immediately after the exchange, And he does like to chastise me for my tone.
    Needless to say if this is the case that I disagree ;-)
    If it is not the case, then it might be a genuine reaction to the overall tone of discussion on this forum, which often
    does turn combative and hostile, but that is expected given the topic and local.

The reason for my post, no idea if he knew the answer to the question, but I thought it was worth posting the
    answer anyway, for any that come across this thread.
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 20:58
    [b]Tone of meaning...

gb[/b]
    Wonder why. Thoughts?
    Because we're all d!cks...next! 😞
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 21:03
    Originally posted by Agerg
    [b]Wonder why. Thoughts?
    Because we're all d!cks...next! 😞[/b]
    Hahahaha!!!! Finally some honesty on this forum!!
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 21:20
    Originally posted by googlefudge

I don't know, but it's possible the point of the op is a subtle (or not so subtle) dig, at my tone in my responses to his
    posts in another thread.
    Although the timing could be coincidental, and it has nothing at all to do with it, but
    he did post this immediately after the exchange, And he does like to chastise me for my tone.
    Needless to say ...[text shortened]... ion, but I thought it was worth posting the
    answer anyway, for any that come across this thread.
    Sumy's "creation" thread and the other long running coversation regarding "homosexuality" were my specific frame of reference (for excessive ascerbic tone) as compared with the easy going give and take usually present in the General Forum. Almost launched "Tone of meaning..." last night but fatigue suggested saving it for another day. That's all. Otherwise I'm here to learn.

gb
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 21:21
    Originally posted by Ullr
    Hahahaha!!!! Finally some honesty on this forum!!
    lol
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 21:21
    Originally posted by Agerg
    [b]Wonder why. Thoughts?
    Because we're all d!cks...next! 😞[/b]
    lol
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 21:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    why not i like GB and his posts, hes always quite thoughtful and well meaning.
    Thanks, Robbie. You enjoy being in the minority?

😉
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 21:31
    Sumy's "creation" thread and the other long running coversation regarding "homosexuality" were my specific frame of reference (for excessive ascerbic tone) as compared with the easy going give and take usually present in the General Forum. Almost launched "Tone of meaning..." last night but fatigue suggested saving it for another day. That's all. Otherwise I'm here to learn.

gb
    I think in that instance acerbic tones are called for.

There is no polite way to deal with bigotry, and no sense in being polite to bigots,
    certainly not on an internet forum anyways.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree