1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:27
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    All men are created equal.
    No they aren't. They are all different and not equal.

If you want to make the political assertion "All men ought to be equal in the eyes of the law etc." then I can completely agree with you, although I don't see how an opinion like that can be characterized as a "self-evident" truth.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:28
    Really? And exactly who belongs to this "privileged" class? You?
    What "privileged class"?
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:29
    Originally posted by josephw
    Counterfeits. Deceptions. Lies.

The Truth stands undiluted and unchallenged by any other's life or words.
    Liar.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:30
    Are you claiming that Caucasian men have rights that simply don't apply to non-Caucasian men or women?
    Which bit of what I said leads you to believe that this might be what I am claiming?
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:30
    Those aren't paradoxical situations.

You are an idiot.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    I agree with you that all human beings [b]should have certain rights. But that does not make a slogan like "All men are created equal" true in a "self-evident" way. In the real world, they are all different and unequal at birth and throughout their lives, and the aspiration and idealism of "All men are created equal" simply has no impact on reality for most human beings.[/b]
    What do you think fuels the frustration and anger of any class of men that finds themselves "under the thumb" of another? The knowledge that yes, all men ARE created equal, and all have rights, which are being trampled by others who feel that only they, by virtue of somehow being "better", are entitled to being called a human being with rights.

And you only perpetuate this thinking by calling some men "unequal" just because they have less than others.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    Which bit of what I said leads you to believe that this might be what I am claiming?
    You said as much.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You said you listen to The Truth when you hear it. But you later you said you can only hear when you listen. Definitely a catch 22.
    You're quoting out of context, and misrepresenting what I said.

I do "hear" His voice, and you would hear it too if you would listen.

The words of Jesus are the words of life. Just listen to Him.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    All men are equal in the cradle. Or in their mother's womb.

They are created equal.

You always have to make everything more difficult than it is.
    You need to read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_right_of_kings

Supported by the Church for centuries.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:34
    How much money a man has is no argument against all men being equal. A man is a man. They all put their pants on one leg at a time. They all only last maybe a month without food and at most a few days without water.

And they ALL have certain rights, simply by being a human being. This should be clear.
    It is not made clear by any religion.

But I do agree with the sentiment.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:341 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    What "privileged class"?
    Oh, come on!!

You are positing that no, men are NOT equal, so that means that yes, some are "better" than others, or somehow more "privileged".

So exactly who IS this "privileged" class?
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    Originally posted by FMF
    No they aren't. They are all different and not equal.

If you want to make the political assertion "All men ought to be equal in the eyes of the law etc." then I can completely agree with you, although I don't see how an opinion like that can be characterized as a "self-evident" truth.
    No. We are created equal. It's what happens after that that makes us unequal.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    What do you think fuels the frustration and anger of any class of men that finds themselves "under the thumb" of another? The knowledge that yes, all men ARE created equal, and all have rights, which are being trampled by others who feel that only they, by virtue of somehow being "better", are entitled to being called a human being with rights.

And you ...[text shortened]... perpetuate this thinking by calling some men "unequal" just because they have less than others.
    If you seek to see the political demand "All men ought to be equal in the eyes of the law etc. right from the moment they are born", then I am with you all the way. But it's a slogan, and aspiration, a belief. I don't see how it can simply be described as "self-evident". It wasn't even "self-evident" in the minds of the first people who said that it was "self-evident".
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:35
    No. We are created equal.
    What is your evidence for this?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you seek to see the political demand "All men ought to be equal in the eyes of the law etc. right from the moment they are born", then I am with you all the way. But it's a slogan, and aspiration, a belief. I don't see how it can simply be described as "self-evident". It wasn't even "self-evident" in the minds of the first people who said that it was "self-evident".
    Oh, please. This is your anti-American sentiment talking.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree