1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:36
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You are an idiot.
    Aren't we all!

Or are you just too proud and stubborn to admit it?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:38
    Originally posted by josephw
    Aren't we all!

Or are you just too proud and stubborn to admit it?
    Neither. False dichotomy.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you seek to see the political demand "All men ought to be equal in the eyes of the law etc. right from the moment they are born", then I am with you all the way. But it's a slogan, and aspiration, a belief. I don't see how it can simply be described as "self-evident". It wasn't even "self-evident" in the minds of the first people who said that it was "self-evident".
    No, it is NOT merely a "slogan". It is a basic, fundamental truth. If you want to make a certain class of men somehow "inferior" then you can start with those who say that "All men are created equal" is NOT "self-evident".
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:41
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You are positing that no, men are NOT equal, so that means that yes, some are "better" than others, or somehow more "privileged".
    I am saying that men should be equal in political terms, in terms of justice, and rights. All that is just one aspect of the human condition. There are other aspects though: intelligence, physical abilities and attributes, genetics , psychological characteristics, morality, social and economic circumstances, and health etc..In none of these things are 'men' born equal.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:42
    It is not made clear by any religion.

But I do agree with the sentiment.
    Oh, no, religion makes this clear too.

Perhaps that's why an apostate like FMF can't bring himself to agree that it is self-evidently true.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:44
    Oh, no, religion makes this clear too.

Perhaps that's why an apostate like FMF can't bring himself to agree that it is self-evidently true.
    All religions have been used to elevate and/or justify men in authority.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:46
    No, it is NOT merely a "slogan". It is a basic, fundamental truth. If you want to make a certain class of men somehow "inferior" then you can start with those who say that "All men are created equal" is NOT "self-evident".
    But I don't "want to make a certain class of men somehow inferior" and yet I am saying that the political belief "All men are created equal" is not "self-evident". I My belief is that "All men should be equal in terms of their rights" but I don't claim that they are "equal" in any other ways ~ the evidence won't allow me to ~ so the notion that humans are "equal" (aside from what should be their each and every roster of political rights) simply cannot be described as "self-evident".
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:48
    If you and are are "created" equal, what bearing does your religious notion that I am "apostate" have on our equality or on our discussion about humans being equal?
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    Originally posted by FMF
    What is your evidence for this?
    Reality.

Being created equal is God's design for us all. No one is better than another in God's eyes based on one's own merit. That idea is of human origin.

But we live in a world corrupted by man's ideas. Hence inequality. It is true, we are not equal in the eyes of man. And it's a fact. Who can deny it?

But that's not how God wants us to think of each other. The founding fathers understood these things. That's why we have the Bill of Rights.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am saying that men [b]should be equal in political terms, in terms of justice, and rights. All that is just one aspect of the human condition. There are other aspects though: intelligence, physical abilities and attributes, genetics , psychological characteristics, morality, social and economic circumstances, and health etc..In none of these things are 'men' born equal.[/b]
    But when talking about having certain rights, it is absolutely true that all men are created equal. All men have these rights, simply by virtue of being human, and therefore they are equal. This should be self-evident to anybody, except those with an agenda to somehow prove themselves part of the "privileged" class.

This is also why I say that material wealth, intelligence, social station have NOTHING to do with making men UNequal. Men have certain rights, simply by virtue of being human, and that self-evidently includes ALL men.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:49
    Oh, please. This is your anti-American sentiment talking.
    This is deflection. I'd rather you address what I am saying.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:50
    All religions have been used to elevate and/or justify men in authority.
    All except one.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:50
    This should be self-evident to anybody, except those with an agenda to somehow prove themselves part of the "privileged" class.

As you say it is not universally "self-evident" then.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:511 edit
    Reality.

Being created equal is God's design for us all. No one is better than another in God's eyes based on one's own merit. That idea is of human origin.

But we live in a world corrupted by man's ideas. Hence inequality. It is true, we are not equal in the eyes of man. And it's a fact. Who can deny it?

But that's not how God wants us to think of each other. The founding fathers understood these things. That's why we have the Bill of Rights.
    Yes. "Endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights." This means ALL men get them. ALL men. This is how they are equal. Precisely.

Why is it that, apparently, only Americans understand this?
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 10:51
    All except one.
    Many, many people would say this from many, many religions.

It means NOTHING.

THINK.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree