1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '14 05:58
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Evil personified... because it isn't a premeditated or* random act;
    this murder is symptomatic of an evil crusader mission" [ideologically driven with the goal of eradication].

* "or" would have been more accurate than "though" which is misleading.
    Are there circumstances in which you would approve of the killing of men or women for what is seen as forbidden sexual activity between consenting adults? Or would you always be able to condemn such killing unequivocally as "evil personified", regardless of the cultural context or time in which it takes place?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '14 05:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I hope you are equally critical of the behavior of Ugandan Christians with regards to gay men?
    If the offences are equally despicable, then of course.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '14 06:03
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I don't remember it; why, is it important?
    You seemed to think this case was important enough for you to say "Rather than discussing Noah maybe should be looking at the real issues like this poor Sudanese woman..." even though it had been discussed already, and yet not an important enough case for you to remember that it had been discussed already, if you get my drift.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '14 06:141 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    You seemed to think this case was important enough for you to say "Rather than discussing Noah maybe should be looking at the real issues like this poor Sudanese woman..." even though it had been discussed already, and yet not an important enough case for you to remember that it had been discussed already, if you get my drift.
    Are you confusing my not remembering the thread about an event with my perceived importance of the event? Or are you feeling sensitive about owning one of the "Noah" threads? 😛

PS I'll point out that I started a "Noah" thread and it was my thread I was referring to.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '14 06:21
    Are you confusing my not remembering the thread about an event with my perceived importance of the event? Or are you feeling sensitive about owning one of the "Noah" threads? 😛
    To me, the case of Meriam Ibrahim has nothing to do with threads discussing Noah. I am curious, though, that you suddenly urge people to discuss her case when you couldn't be bothered to discuss it properly when it was raised and had a thread all of its own.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '14 06:24
    I'll point out that I started a "Noah" thread and it was my thread I was referring to.
    Fear not. No double standards about discussing Noah are perceived. 🙂
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '14 06:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    To me, the case of Meriam Ibrahim has nothing to do with threads discussing Noah. I am curious, though, that you suddenly urge people to discuss her case when you couldn't be bothered to discuss it properly when it was raised and had a thread all of its own.
    That's a little judgemental FMF. Are you bored?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '14 06:36
    That's a little judgemental FMF. Are you bored?
    I am curious.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 May '14 06:44
    If the offences are equally despicable, then of course.
    And are you equally critical of the Bible when it prescribes such punishments?
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 May '14 10:48
    Is how the Pakistani PM described the behaviour of the family of the 25 year old 3 month pregnant daughter they stoned to death themselves for choosing her own husband.

I think the use of the word "totally" helps.
    what happened after? if nobody was accused and convicted of anything, they are hollow words.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '14 14:311 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And are you equally critical of the Bible when it prescribes such punishments?
    Yes.

Edit: to make it public; I have issues with the flood and the nature of capital punishment.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '14 14:34
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    what happened after? if nobody was accused and convicted of anything, they are hollow words.
    It's all over the news at the moment.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '14 14:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am curious.
    I don't have a hidden or subtle agenda - I'm just moved by the stonning and also reminded about the plight of the other lady who I'd also seen in the press. Reading about it yesterday made me reflect on my posts about various topics such as Predestination and Noah and spending time arguing over relatively trival stuff. i don't think these other debates are not worth having - I just felt a jab of perspective.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 May '14 14:43
    It's all over the news at the moment.
    i may not live in your country
    i may not get "your" news.
    there a zillion honor killings in pakistan
    i had no idea is recent
    you didn't even posted a source in your original thread.

i asked a question. if you can't be bothered to answer, why did you bother with telling me you are not answering and to look it up for myself? even though i have no idea what the specifics are?
  15. Joined
    13 Apr '11
    Moves
    30 May '14 15:19
    This story just keeps getting worse and more bizarre. The husband of the stoned-to-death wife also apparently killed his first wife so he could marry the second one (the one who was stoned to death), for which he served ONE year in jail!?!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/05/29/317160595/husband-of-woman-stoned-to-death-in-pakistan-killed-first-wife

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree