1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 May '14 15:31
    Originally posted by PatNovak
    This story just keeps getting worse and more bizarre. The husband of the stoned-to-death wife also apparently killed his first wife so he could marry the second one (the one who was stoned to death), for which he served ONE year in jail!?!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/05/29/317160595/husband-of-woman-stoned-to-death-in-pakistan-killed-first-wife
    Yeah, I see how some atheists could get this kind of behavior so mixed up with Christianity that they feel all theism is equally likely to be true.

No, not really.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 May '14 15:351 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yeah, I see how some atheists could get this kind of behavior so mixed up with Christianity that they feel all theism is equally likely to be true.

No, not really.
    I think this kind of thing may be older than Islam and was just encoded into it later because it was a cultural thing.

That doesn't excuse it or Islam for me. Murder is murder no matter what the rational.

The fact is, ALL religions were made up by men, well after they took over Minos, women were the top dogs there and men tried to emulate women, like even cutting their crotches to simulate menstruation.

After that it was pretty much male dominated which you see in the choice of the gender of the various gods. In the last 5000 years, mostly male.

Jesus is male, God is male in all three Abrahamic religions, and so forth.

Just saying all these religions were just codified attempts to control people and since men originated these religions, they made sure THEY would be top dogs this time and no more of this female domination like what went on in Minos.

So the cultural norms ended up codified in stone, a woman worth 35 shekels, a man 50, etc.

So they have no problem stoning a woman for adultery but putting the man in jail for a year, no doubt with nice easy treatment.
  3. Joined
    13 Apr '11
    Moves
    30 May '14 16:35
    Originally posted by Suzianne

No, not really.
    Why would the behavior of anyone affect the truth or untruth of a particular claim? Whether the members of a particular group are the best or worst people in the world hasn't even the slightest bearing on whether their claims are correct.

And on a separate note, I've never argued that all religions are equally bad.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '14 17:581 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    i may not live in your country
    i may not get "your" news.
    there a zillion honor killings in pakistan
    i had no idea is recent
    you didn't even posted a source in your original thread.

i asked a question. if you can't be bothered to answer, why did you bother with telling me you are not answering and to look it up for myself? even though i have no idea what the specifics are?
    Why so aggressive. Jeez. If there are "a million honour killings" then why do you need the link to this particular one?
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 May '14 18:12
    Honor killing is understandable only within cultural traditions which go back much farther in time than our own. It is a clan-based tradition thousands of years older than either Islam or Christianity. It dates to a pre-civilized era, by which I mean an era before civil authority has been widely established. The clan leader had responsibility for and authority over his extended family. This sort of thing was practiced up until the roman empire in western Europe, and even today in parts of the Balkans it survives. It died out where transfer of authority to civic institutions took firm root. Evidently this has not yet occurred in some remote valleys of Pakistan and Afghanistan.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 May '14 18:17
    Originally posted by PatNovak
    Why would the behavior of anyone affect the truth or untruth of a particular claim? Whether the members of a particular group are the best or worst people in the world hasn't even the slightest bearing on whether their claims are correct.
    If the religion in question supports or actively promotes such behaviour, and you consider the behaviour to be despicable, then yes, I think the behaviour may affect your view of the validity of the beliefs of that religion.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 May '14 18:27
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If the religion in question supports or actively promotes such behaviour, and you consider the behaviour to be despicable, then yes, I think the behaviour may affect your view of the validity of the beliefs of that religion.
    Considering it was MEN who made the religion it stands to reason they, being misogynist, would set up the religion so women come out second best, more like cattle.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '14 19:321 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You don't understand something?
    No not really, I kind of understand everything, my question was rhetorical. I have a theory, my opus magnum, that atrocity of this kind only occurs when the conscience is deprived for some reason of its natural function or is diverted into justification of some violent act by being subject to some other guiding influence, in this case an act that is perceived to bring dishonor to a family.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree