Truth .. JW Style

Truth .. JW Style

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
04 Oct 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
and who has said that he is not? i reject you assertion of peddling for as Paul stated,

(2 Corinthians 2:17) for we are not peddlers of the word of God as many men are, but as out of sincerity, yes, as sent from God, under God’s view, in company with Christ, we are speaking.

we sincerely desire to help people and have improved the lives of mi ...[text shortened]... ast aside by the churches of Christendom, sheep without a shepherd all skinned and thrown about!
Why not hand them a bible. Why does it have to be a silly Magazine?

Manny

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Oct 10

Originally posted by menace71
Why not hand them a bible. Why does it have to be a silly Magazine?

Manny
You may be an exception Manny but the majority of people don't even own a Bible much less understand what they would read in it...Hence that's why there are scriptures after scriptures that has the word 'Teach" in it.
So the WTS prints out magazines on what the Bible is saying to help ones learn.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Oct 10

That's an interesting fact I never thought of. I've never heard of a JW medical center or JW program of any sort of charity. Interesting.

Manny
Ok..let's make a deal. You guys build the hospitals and what is needed to feed and clothe the poor. You are to be commended for that. And we'll do all the preaching work Jesus also said that needed to be done. Deal?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Oct 10

Originally posted by galveston75
Ok..let's make a deal. You guys build the hospitals and what is needed to feed and clothe the poor. You are to be commended for that. And we'll do all the preaching work Jesus also said that needed to be done. Deal?
As I said, I cannot find Jesus explicitly saying that every Christian needs to preach. The best you can find is Matthew 28, which is hardly a universal injunction because it is directed at the apostles and also includes the commandment to baptise. You can however Jesus frequently instructing disciples to help the poor. For example in Matthew 25:35-46, Jesus says that our care for the poor will be the measure of our judgment:

For I was hungry, and you gave me to eat: I was thirsty, and you gave me to drink: I was a stranger, and you took me in: 36 Naked, and you covered me: sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came to me. 37 Then shall the just answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see you hungry and fed you: thirsty and gave you drink? 38 Or when did we see you a stranger and took you in? Or naked and covered you? 39 Or when did we see you sick or in prison and came to you? 40 And the king answering shall say to them: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it to one of these my least brethren, you did it to me. 41 Then he shall say to them also that shall be on his left hand: Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire, which was prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me not to eat: I was thirsty and you gave me not to drink. 43 I was a stranger and you took me not in: naked and you covered me not: sick and in prison and you did not visit me. 44 Then they also shall answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison and did not minister to you? 45 Then he shall answer them, saying: Amen: I say to you, as long as you did it not to one of these least, neither did you do it to me. 46 And these shall go into everlasting punishment: but the just, into life everlasting.

When does Jesus mention preaching here?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Oct 10

this amounts to naught but an admonition of guilt, you have no evidence! while the weight of history and scripture weighs heavily on the scales of justice and leans towards Gods Christian Witnesses!
What on earth is an 'admonition of guilt"?

Anyway, certainly you have not proved that the weight of history and Scripture is on your side. You have not provided any explicit Scriptural evidence that every Christian should preach. And the only examples of history are some random people whom I have never heard of. It's not very compelling.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
04 Oct 10

You may be an exception Manny but the majority of people don't even own a Bible much less understand what they would read in it...Hence that's why there are scriptures after scriptures that has the word 'Teach" in it.
So the WTS prints out magazines on what the Bible is saying to help ones learn.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 (Contemporary English Version)
16Everything in the Scriptures is God's Word. All of it is useful for teaching and helping people and for correcting them and showing them how to live. 17The Scriptures train God's servants to do all kinds of good deeds.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Oct 10

But why would a knowledgable Christian not want to teach all he can? Is not one life not worth the work?
You are shifting the goalposts. We were discussing preaching, not teaching.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
04 Oct 10

Originally posted by Conrau K
I think they don't understand the distinction because their services do not involve preaching, but communal study.

Maybe this will help: Preaching is the proclamation of the gospel (gospel means truth) by an authoritative voice that does not invite discussion, but invites the listener to reflect on the truth being revealed.

Teaching is a conversation between (presumably) a teacher and a student or group of students where questions are encouraged

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Oct 10

Are they both to help others gain knowledge by whether it is from a stage or in person in a house?

rc

Moves
04 Oct 10
1 edit

That's an interesting fact I never thought of. I've never heard of a JW medical center or JW program of any sort of charity. Interesting.

Manny
actually we are a registered charity but you noobs never knew that,

cant touch this, da da da da, da da, cant touch this!

rc

Moves
04 Oct 10

What on earth is an 'admonition of guilt"?

Anyway, certainly you have not proved that the weight of history and Scripture is on your side. You have not provided any explicit Scriptural evidence that every Christian should preach. And the only examples of history are some random people whom I have never heard of. It's not very compelling.
sorry should have read 'admission of guilt', and i think we can satisfactorily conclude, due to the historical and biblical evidence, and your lack of anything to the contrary, yes indeed, all Christians were engaged in teaching and preaching.

rc

Moves
04 Oct 10
1 edit

As I said, I cannot find Jesus explicitly saying that every Christian needs to preach. The best you can find is Matthew 28, which is hardly a universal injunction because it is directed at the apostles and also includes the commandment to baptise. You can however Jesus frequently instructing disciples to help the poor. For example in Matthew 25:35-46, Jesus ...[text shortened]... ishment: but the just, into life everlasting.[/quote]

pure bum!, as you are aware Christ stated right after the command to preach, 'Look i am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things', this in itself could not have been simply meant exclusively for the apostles who are all dead and the system continues, naught but more erroneous reasoning!

(Matthew 28:19-20) . . .Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded . And, look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

Also,

(Luke 10:1-3) . . .After these things the Lord designated seventy others and sent them forth by twos in advance of him into every city and place to which he himself was going to come. Then he began to say to them: “The harvest, indeed, is great, but the workers are few. Therefore beg the Master of the harvest to send out workers into his harvest.  Go forth. Look! I am sending you forth as lambs in among wolves. . .

clearly Christ expected these seventy others to preach and teach and make disciples who would also carry on this work. It is nothing but obstinate to try to state that not all Christians were to preach, you have nothing Conrau, absolutely nothing!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Oct 10
2 edits

pure bum!, as you are aware Christ stated right after the command to preach, 'Look i am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things', this in itself could not have been simply meant exclusively for the apostles who are all dead and the system continues, naught but more erroneous reasoning!

(Matthew 28:19-20) . . .Go therefor ...[text shortened]... to state that not all Christians were to preach, you have nothing Conrau, absolutely nothing!
(Matthew 28:19-20) . . .Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded . And, look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

Clearly this is not intended for all Christian disciples. Baptism has always been a ritual reserved to the minister, not to be practiced by any Christian. So clearly Jesus' injunction to proselytize to all nations cannot be taken as universal.

(Luke 10:1-3) . . .After these things the Lord designated seventy others and sent them forth by twos in advance of him into every city and place to which he himself was going to come. Then he began to say to them: “The harvest, indeed, is great, but the workers are few. Therefore beg the Master of the harvest to send out workers into his harvest. Go forth. Look! I am sending you forth as lambs in among wolves. . .

Again, you are having a hard time following this debate. I acknowledged at the start that there were other evangelisers aside from the apostles (traditionally this passage has been interpreted as the institution of the order of deacons.) My point is that not all Christians engage in this work. Jesus sends seventy; he does not send all. Not all are commissioned for that task.

rc

Moves
04 Oct 10
1 edit

[b](Matthew 28:19-20) . . .Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded . And, look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

Clearly this is not intended for all Ch n this work. Jesus sends seventy; he does not send all. Not all are commissioned for that task.[/b]
you have still to produce one iota of evidence which states that not all were required to preach, so far we have the largest centre of any known doughnut in the universe, indeed so large that it is creating its own gravitational field, pulling in light and matter in an inwardly spirling vortex of nothingness!

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Oct 10

As I said, I cannot find Jesus explicitly saying that every Christian needs to preach. The best you can find is Matthew 28, which is hardly a universal injunction because it is directed at the apostles and also includes the commandment to baptise. You can however Jesus frequently instructing disciples to help the poor. For example in Matthew 25:35-46, Jesus ...[text shortened]... ishment: but the just, into life everlasting.[/quote]

By his actions. Again as I stated earlier that is the majority of Jesus's work was the preaching and teaching work not healing or feeding, etc..
Do you really not see the importance of teaching others? I guess if you don't get it you don't get it.

Shine as Illuminators in the World
Yet another reason why the light from God’s Word is wonderful is that it opens the door to the most lofty assignment available to humans. Jesus instructed his followers: “Go . . . and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And, look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.” He prefaced the command by saying: “All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth.”—Matthew 28:18-20.
Consider who is assisting true Christians in the work of preaching the good news and teaching Bible truths to people of all the nations. Jesus promised his followers that he would be with them. He has indeed been helping them and supporting them in their ministry as they ‘let their light shine’ in that way and through other “fine works.” (Matthew 5:14-16) Angels are also involved in this evangelizing work. (Revelation 14:6) And what about Jehovah God? The apostle Paul wrote: “I planted, Apollos watered, but God kept making it grow.” What a privilege it is to be among “God’s fellow workers”!—1 Corinthians 3:6, 9.
Think, too, of how our efforts in this God-assigned work are blessed. There is nothing to compare with our God-given privilege of “shining as illuminators in the world.” By reflecting the light from God’s Word in our speech and actions, we are able to provide real help to honesthearted individuals. (Philippians 2:15) And we can rejoice as we zealously preach and teach, ‘for God is not unrighteous so as to forget our work and the love we showed for his name.’—Hebrews 6:10.