Truth .. JW Style

Truth .. JW Style

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Oct 10

Pay Attention to Your “Art of Teaching”
“Preach the word, . . . reprove, reprimand, exhort, with all long-suffering and art of teaching.”—2 TIM. 4:2.
DESPITE the wonderful works of healing that Jesus performed during his earthly ministry, he was primarily known, not as a healer or a miracle worker, but as a teacher. (Mark 12:19; 13:1) Declaring the good news of God’s Kingdom was Jesus’ priority, and so it is for his followers today. Christians have a commission to continue the work of disciple-making by teaching people to observe all the things that Jesus commanded.—Matt. 28:19, 20.
In order to fulfill our commission to make disciples, we constantly seek to improve our ability to teach. The apostle Paul underlined the importance of this skill when writing to his preaching companion Timothy. He said: “Pay constant attention to yourself and to your teaching. Stay by these things, for by doing this you will save both yourself and those who listen to you.” (1 Tim. 4:16) The kind of teaching that Paul had in mind is not the mere imparting of knowledge. Effective Christian ministers reach the hearts of people and motivate them to make changes in their lives. That is an art. So how can we develop the “art of teaching” when presenting to others the good news of God’s Kingdom?—2 Tim. 4:2.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
05 Oct 10

Originally posted by Conrau K
As I said, I cannot find Jesus explicitly saying that every Christian needs to preach. The best you can find is Matthew 28, which is hardly a universal injunction because it is directed at the apostles and also includes the commandment to baptise. You can however Jesus frequently instructing disciples to help the poor. For example in Matthew 25:35-46, Jesus ...[text shortened]... ishment: but the just, into life everlasting.[/quote]

When does Jesus mention preaching here?
I love this

"Preach the gospel always, If necessary use words." ~ St. Francis of Assisi.

I think balance in all things.

Manny

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
05 Oct 10

Originally posted by menace71
I love this

"Preach the gospel always, If necessary use words." ~ St. Francis of Assisi.

I think balance in all things.

Manny
Yes..sometimes words are good. Lol

rc

Moves
05 Oct 10

Originally posted by galveston75
Yes..sometimes words are good. Lol
a ruler may be balanced on the edge of ones finger, but its neither strong nor effective!

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
05 Oct 10

933 postings on this subject... Wow! We're popular huh?

rc

Moves
05 Oct 10
1 edit

933 postings on this subject... Wow! We're popular huh?
Lol, yes and its all thanks to our friend Raj.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
05 Oct 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Lol, yes and its all thanks to our friend Raj.
Oh Rajk...Such an inspiration to us all!!!!! 🙂

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
06 Oct 10

Where did he go?? Rajj that is.

So God does not want some balance? Skills of knowing when where why and how?

Manny

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
06 Oct 10

Originally posted by menace71
Where did he go?? Rajj that is.

So God does not want some balance? Skills of knowing when where why and how?

Manny
I don't know where he's at but he does get banned from posting here from time to time and the last couple weeks he was really pushing it. So who knows...
And yes we are to be balanced in most things in life if that's what your asking. But according to 2 Tim 4:2 we have to view the teaching work with an urgency because life's are at stake.

2 Timothy 4:2 (Amplified Bible)

2 Herald and preach the Word! Keep your sense of urgency [stand by, be at hand and ready], whether the opportunity seems to be favorable or unfavorable. [Whether it is convenient or inconvenient, whether it is welcome or unwelcome, you as preacher of the Word are to show people in what way their lives are wrong.] And convince them, rebuking and correcting, warning and urging and encouraging them, being unflagging and inexhaustible in patience and teaching.

T

Moves
06 Oct 10
1 edit

I don't know where he's at but he does get banned from posting here from time to time and the last couple weeks he was really pushing it. So who knows...
And yes we are to be balanced in most things in life if that's what your asking. But according to 2 Tim 4:2 we have to view the teaching work with an urgency because life's are at stake.

2 Timo ...[text shortened]... nd urging and encouraging them, being unflagging and inexhaustible in patience and teaching.
You really need to explain this to RC. Either he hasn't read it or doesn't comprehend it as evidenced by him saying, "you are what is known in the trade as a 'time waster', let is serve as a lesson to you".

While you're at it, you really need to point him to scripture that speaks against lying and being otherwise dishonest. He seems to be unfamiliar with that concept as well.

How long do you think it'll take for you to straighten him out?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
06 Oct 10
2 edits

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
You really need to explain this to RC. Either he hasn't read it or doesn't comprehend it as evidenced by him saying, "you are what is known in the trade as a 'time waster', let is serve as a lesson to you".

While you're at it, you really need to point him to scripture that speaks against lying and being otherwise dishonest. He seems to be unfamiliar w ...[text shortened]... hat concept as well.

How long do you think it'll take for you to straighten him out?
I think Robbie does fine but if he does get out of line I'll get out the ole horse whip...Lol.
If he is referring to ones that we do meet at the doors that are not interested and are there to only argue then yes it is a waist of our time. The Bible even says to say goodbye, shake the dust off our feet and leave. That's because we have many more to talk to that are actually interested.

T

Moves
06 Oct 10

I think Robbie does fine but if he does get out of line I'll get out the ole horse whip...Lol.
If he is referring to ones that we do meet at the doors that are not interested and are there to only argue then yes it is a waist of our time. The Bible even says to say goodbye, shake the dust off our feet and leave. That's because we have many more to talk to that are actually interested.
IF he gets out of line? He's been getting out of line.

What are you going to do to rectify his not wanting to deal with "time wasters"?

Maybe you don't fully understand those verses from Timothy either. I'll highlight the important things for you.
2 Herald and preach the Word! Keep your sense of urgency [stand by, be at hand and ready], whether the opportunity seems to be favorable or unfavorable. [Whether it is convenient or inconvenient, whether it is welcome or unwelcome, you as preacher of the Word are to show people in what way their lives are wrong.] And convince them, rebuking and correcting, warning and urging and encouraging them, being unflagging and inexhaustible in patience and teaching.

He needs to be "unflagging and inexhaustible in patience and teaching...whether the opportunity seems to be favorable or unfavorable". The bit about "dusting off your feet" contradicts this. How can this be?

What are you going to do to rectify his lying and being otherwise dishonest?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
06 Oct 10

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
IF he gets out of line? He's been getting out of line.

What are you going to do to rectify his not wanting to deal with "time wasters"?

Maybe you don't fully understand those verses from Timothy either. I'll highlight the important things for you.
[quote]2 Herald and preach the Word! [b]Keep your sense of urgency [stand by, be at hand and ready], ...[text shortened]... is be?

What are you going to do to rectify his lying and being otherwise dishonest?
As I said...Robbie does fine and I find no fault in anything he's said. Amd I'll repeat and show you the scripture I was referring to.

Matthew 10:14 (New International Version)
14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town.

If that person has a change of heart and wants to listen to us then God will direct us back to them at another time. But we will not stand at therir door and argue.
If Robbie does not want to argue with anyone here he has a complete right not too. Understand?

T

Moves
06 Oct 10
4 edits

As I said...Robbie does fine and I find no fault in anything he's said. Amd I'll repeat and show you the scripture I was referring to.

Matthew 10:14 (New International Version)
14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town.

If that person has a change of heart and wants to ...[text shortened]... If Robbie does not want to argue with anyone here he has a complete right not too. Understand?
I understand. You're now saying he does not have to be "unflagging and inexhaustible in patience and teaching.....whether the opportunity seems to be favorable or unfavorable" as it says in 2 Timothy 4 even though "lives are at stake". Your initial claim was not true. How does this work? When you want to appear to be genuinely concerned you cite 2 Timothy and when you tire of faking it you cite Matthew 10?

Also, what are you going to do to rectify his lying and being otherwise dishonest? Are you just going to continue to ignore it?

If you're having difficulty coming up with scripture, this should help:
John 8
44“You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

rc

Moves
06 Oct 10

thank you me Texan brother, you do just fine as well 🙂