Truth

Truth

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

v

Moves
09 Oct 08

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Shrug. Per my earlier statements, I don't see why this is a problem.
Well it's probably not a problem if you wish to live your life with no certainty whatsoever.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
09 Oct 08

Originally posted by veritas101
Well it's probably not a problem if you wish to live your life with no certainty whatsoever.
How did you jump from "not 100% certain" to "no certainty whatsoever"?! 🙄

v

Moves
09 Oct 08

How did you jump from "not 100% certain" to "no certainty whatsoever"?! 🙄
My bad. I meant no 'absolute' certainty.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
09 Oct 08

My bad. I meant no 'absolute' certainty.
What on earth does 'absolute' certainty mean?

v

Moves
09 Oct 08

What on earth does 'absolute' certainty mean?
Being 100% sure about something.

L

Moves
09 Oct 08

Originally posted by Nemesio
Wow. Pwned.

By your thinking that modal construal is not always straightforward, do
you mean that people make statements that superficially seem to
rooted in infallibilism, but tacitly have concessions?

As in, 'I know that my wife is home right now because I called her a few
minutes ago.' It's possible that ~P (she went to the store), but I reason ...[text shortened]... she'd be home all night.

If not, what do you mean by 'not straightforward?'

Nemesio
Mostly, my reason for thinking that the modal construal is not always straightforward is that it typically involves considerations of epistemic possibility (as well as perhaps contextualism), which I find to be an intricate subject.

But, your example is certainly along the lines of what I had in mind. If someone were to say "I know my wife is at home, but it is possible that she is at the store", that is probably not, despite what veritas says, a "self-defeating" statement (unless maybe we force upon it some harebrained infallibilist account of knowledge). Rather, it is typically meant as a fallibilist statement concerning the nature of our evidence or basis for belief. For instance, I know that I just spoke to my wife on the phone a short while ago; I know that she was speaking on our home phone because I called her there; I know that she told me that she would be home all night, and I know that her word is generally reliable; etc., etc. But, still, it is conceivable that after our call ended my wife promptly noted that our child is falling ill and thus rushed off to the store for medication. The mere fact that such situations are broadly consistent with my basis for belief would not preclude my knowing that my wife is at home (of course, if she did in fact rush off to the store, then I do not know she is at home because one cannot know a false proposition).

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
09 Oct 08

I seem to have more certainty than you do.
You do realize that the magnitude of your conviction has no bearing on the truth value of your belief, right?

I'd hate to list the things that I 'knew' with 100% certainty and was wrong about.

Nemesio

v

Moves
09 Oct 08

You do realize that the magnitude of your conviction has no bearing on the truth value of your belief, right?

I'd hate to list the things that I 'knew' with 100% certainty and was wrong about.

Nemesio
Do you believe that you can know anything with 100% certainty?

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
09 Oct 08
3 edits

Originally posted by LemonJello
...because one cannot know a false proposition.
Hmm?

This seems equivocal, no? That is, I can know that my wife is home (but it is possible though
unlikely that she's at the store) unless she really is at the store, in which case I don't know that
she's home?

In the first usage, I'm using 'know' as synonymous with 'believe with great certainty but could be
mistaken.' I don't see how that wouldn't apply in the second usage.

It seems that if we acknowledge a fallibilist model of knowledge, in which some elements of the
known are actually just strongly justified beliefs, things that have false truth values can be 'known'
(as in believed with great certainty but could be mistaken).

Or am I just confused (and I apologize if I am)?

Nemesio

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
09 Oct 08

Do you believe that you can know anything with 100% certainty?
Yes. 2+2=4 in a decimal mathematics system. I am 100% certain of this knowledge.

Nemesio

v

Moves
09 Oct 08

Yes. 2+2=4 in a decimal mathematics system. I am 100% certain of this knowledge.

Nemesio
Ok. What about historical events that supposedly happened in the past? Say World War 1?

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
09 Oct 08

Ok. What about historical events that supposedly happened in the past? Say World War 1?
Are you conceding that I can have at least some body of knowledge with 100% certainty now?

Nemesio

L

Moves
09 Oct 08

Hmm?

This seems equivocal, no? That is, I can know that my wife is home (but it is possible though
unlikely that she's at the store) unless she really is at the store, in which case I don't know that
she's home?

In the first usage, I'm using 'know' as synonymous with 'believe with great certainty but could be
mistaken.' I don't see how that would ...[text shortened]... t could be mistaken).

Or am I just confused (and I apologize if I am)?

Nemesio
No reasonable model of knowledge (whether fallibilist or infallibilist) can admit that one can know a false proposition. One simply cannot know a false proposition. And concessive knowledge attributions are not meant in any way to imply otherwise.

Consider the example again: "I know my wife is at home, but it is possible that she is at the store". Again, this is typically a statement concerning the nature of evidence or basis for belief. It is NOT saying that it is a possible state of affairs that both (1) I know my wife is at home and (2) my wife is at the store. That is a logically impossible state of affairs because it leads to contradiction: (1) implies that my wife is at home, whereas (2) implies just the opposite. Rather, it is saying something like I know my wife is at home, but I know it on a fallible basis (say, on the basis of evidence that is insufficient to logically entail that my wife is at home).

Does this make sense?

L

Moves
09 Oct 08

I would rather say I'm realist. Why are my views on knowledge impoverished?

I seem to have more certainty than you do.
Give me one good reason to think that certainty** is necessary for knowledge.

----------
**considering either psychological certainty, in the sense that the subject is maximally sure or convinced that P; or epistemic certainty, in the sense that the evidence or basis for belief entails or is otherwise sufficient to guarantee the truth of P.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
09 Oct 08

Originally posted by LemonJello
Rather, it is saying something like I know my wife is at home, but I know it on a fallible basis (say, on the basis of evidence that is insufficient to logically entail that my wife is at home).

Does this make sense?
I believe I follow what you're saying, but I'm still struggling with the following example:

What if I say 'I know my wife is at home, but I know it on a fallible basis,' and it turns out she is
in fact not home (like, as you said, for some unlikely emergency to get medicine for a child who
has suddenly fallen ill), something I find out after the fact?

The experience of knowledge when I made the statement is already established. It is only in the
face of new data that I can revise my statement after the fact, at which point I would say, 'I thought
I knew where my wife was, but it turns out...'

Again, I'm sorry if I'm fumbling around here...

Nemesio