1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 14:41
    "People are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own truth. Truth is but one." Discuss...
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 15:401 edit
    Originally posted by veritas101
    "People are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own truth. Truth is but one." Discuss...
    Before we get to the matter of truth -

How much are we really entitled each to his or her own opinion ?

Can we say that Adolf Hitler was entitled to his opinion if it resulted in the genocide he carried out ?

I wonder a little bit about the first part of the statement. Opinions can have deadly results sometimes.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 15:47
    Originally posted by jaywill

Can we say that Adolf Hitler was entitled to his opinion if it resulted in the genocide he carried out ?

I wonder a little bit about the first part of the statement. Opinions can have deadly results sometimes.
    Well I guess people should be entitled to express their opinion, or keep it to themselves, but that's about as much as they are entitled to, I'd say...
  4. weedhopper
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 16:22
    I would agree with that statement.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 17:19
    Tell us more about the difference between an opinion and a personal truth.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 17:231 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I would think that the quote is referring to absolute truth. Therefore "opinion" and "personal truth" would be synonymous.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 18:06
    I would say that an opinion is based on a belief. Truth, however, exists on it's own and does not change. Something is not true because you you believe it. You should rather beileve something because it's true, it does not work the other way around.
  8. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 19:22
    Originally posted by jaywill

…...Opinions can have deadly results sometimes....…

Agreed: and as the case of Adolf Hitler demonstrates, opinions that are not based on logic nor the evidence but rather on what a person wants to believe can have deadly results -obviously an absurd proposition such as “all blacks are inferior” cannot be based on logic nor evidence and are only believed by people that believe whatever they want to believe.
  9. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 19:27
    I would say that an opinion is based on a belief. Truth, however, exists on it's own and does not change. Something is not true because you you believe it. You should rather beileve something because it's true, it does not work the other way around.
    I guess I differentiate between 'truth' and 'facts'. Facts are immovable, provable, absolute. Truth is elusive and dynamic. 'The truth' to me is different from 'truth'. Truth can have a shimmering clarity and be a murky fog. It may be semantics or clarifying my interpretation of this quote, but given my interpretation I can't say that I agree with it.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 20:01
    What if the Truth is difficult, or even impossible, to verify? How do I proceed in the meantime?
  11. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 20:08
    Sigh.
  12. Subscriberboudicca
    Queen of the Iceni
    Yorkshire UK
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 21:01
    An opinion is a human's response to a social stimulus or a question and everyone may 'make up their own mind'. 'Truth is but one' as by its fundamental nature it is not a falsehood or opinion and may therefore be accepted by many as unquestionable fact. (But there are always some who will question facts.....that's generally a facility to progress!) 🙂
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 21:14
    Well I guess people should be entitled to express their opinion, or keep it to themselves, but that's about as much as they are entitled to, I'd say...
    I think that is a good answer as far as societal responsibility is concerned. It is the ideal philosophy of the country I live in.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 23:10
    What is a personal truth?
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 00:011 edit
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Sigh.
    Oh, come on. You mean you thought you had eradicated these sorts of notional defects by now? You've only been educating readers here for a matter of years. When you're a philosopher, you're a philosopher for life.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree