1. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 12:34
    Originally posted by josephw
    Nothing exists? We have no mind? No truth to know?

Sounds like spiritual anarchy.
    To this scarab, it sounds like total negation of conceptualization😵
  2. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 12:39
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    All religions may contain some fragments of truth, but if they are contradictory on how to find God then they can't all be true.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 13:50
    All religions may contain some fragments of truth, but if they are contradictory on how to get to God then they can't all be true.
    The bible and Christianity are riddled with internal contradictions. Are you saying therefore that Christianity can't be true, because of these contradictions?

Of course there are contradictions across religions. How could there not be? Perhaps,with genuine and sincere effort, it may be possible to see beyond these differences and identify unifying similarities of far greater importance.

As long as everyone claims exclusive ownership of truth, no one has it. It's like everyone waving their own piece of the jigsaw around, not realizing they have to come together if they ever want to complete the picture.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 13:51
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Well, on a personal level, I'd just be content with finding calmness of mind. I'm not looking for, and would indeed be quite miffed, if meditation only succeeded in unlocking memories of eating worms.
    You just want to be in a relaxed state of mind? Have you tried Bunnahabhain?
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 13:52
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    You just want to be in a relaxed state of mind? Have you tried Bunnahabhain?
    Dude, you can't just make up words.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 13:53
    Dude, you can't just make up words.
    Dude please! be reasonable.

http://bunnahabhain.com
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 14:05
    Do you believe in aliens old chap, especially ones of an antagonistic demeanour?
    Nah, just being sarcastic to your first post on PG.,😀
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 14:55
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Nah, just being sarcastic to your first post on PG.,😀
    I think, if aliens do exist, they have a rough deal, if the only door to salvation (Jesus) is on an entirely different planet.

It's hard enough already for the poor chap born in Japan who is much more likely to be drawn into Shintoism or Buddhism, purely as a result of the geographical lottery of existence. (And woe betide him if he doesn't adopt a foreign religion completely outside of his own culture and belief system).
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 17:142 edits
    I think, if aliens do exist, they have a rough deal, if the only door to salvation (Jesus) is on an entirely different planet.

It's hard enough already for the poor chap born in Japan who is much more likely to be drawn into Shintoism or Buddhism, purely as a result of the geographical lottery of existence. (And woe betide him if he doesn't adopt a foreign religion completely outside of his own culture and belief system).

As a Christian and a gospel preaching one, I don't know that.

I have pointed out before the book of Jonah where at the end God knew the count of people in Ninevah who were not worthy of the penalty assigned to the city, because of scope of their knowledge.

Jonah's closing verse:

"And I, should I not have pity on Nineveh, the great city, in which are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot discern between their right hand and their left, and many cattle ? " (Jonah 3:11)

The details of the final judgment of God I do know.
    But the character of God we get a glimpse of from verses like these.

And I think nothing should be taken for granted. Every word of the Scripture is important.

Maybe some Christians claim to know the fate of that Buddhist or that Shintoist who has never heard of Jesus or the New Testament. I am happy to obey the Great Commission to take the Gospel to all the world and still admit some unknowns.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 18:24
    Originally posted by sonship

As a Christian and a gospel preaching on ...[text shortened]... to obey the Great Commission to take the Gospel to all the world and still admit some unknowns.
    Out of interest, if you had been the chap born in Japan, do you think you still would have found your way to Christ, or would your spiritual path embraced the more common religions of the region?

And to make the question a little trickier (and assuming you have answered that you would still have been drawn to Christianity) would this still have been the case if you had lived 400 years ago?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 19:31

I think if someone truly wants to know God, God will reach out and find a way to that person. But it is a two way street. Just my opinion, of course.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Jun '16 19:48
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I think if someone truly wants to know God, God will reach out and find a way to that person. But it is a two way street. Just my opinion, of course.
    Indeed. Perhaps God does this through all the world's religions, rather than being reliant on Christian missionaries. Perhaps God, in his wisdom, comes to man in different guises.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jul '16 15:37
    All religions may contain some fragments of truth, but if they are contradictory on how to get to God then they can't all be true.
    For CERTAIN they can't all be true. It is also just as certain they ALL can be false.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Jul '16 23:10
    Out of interest, if you had been the chap born in Japan, do you think you still would have found your way to Christ, or would your spiritual path embraced the more common religions of the region?

And to make the question a little trickier (and assuming you have answered that you would still have been drawn to Christianity) would this still have been the case if you had lived 400 years ago?
    He said that as a gospel preaching christian he doesn't know that
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jul '16 22:242 edits

I don't know. Do you think i never think about such things ? I do.
    Please don't think such contemplations never cross my mind.

At any rate I consider it a miracle of some sort that I believe in the Son of God.

I don't know the answer to that either.

I do very often stop and realize that it is a miracle the I believe in Christ as the Son of God. So many smart people around arguing otherwise, makes it humblingly astounding that I actually believe the gospel.

But He said no could come to Him unless the Father draws him.

" Jesus answered and said to them, Do not murmur among yourselves.

No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him, and I will raise him up in the last day." (John 6:44)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree