1. Playing with matches
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 17:47
    In addition to Job 39:9–10, the unicorn is mentioned in Numbers 23:22, 24:8; Deuteronomy 33:17; Psalm 22:21, 29:6, 92:10; Isaiah 34:7.

Come on now? Unicorns? Really?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 21:081 edit
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    In addition to Job 39:9–10, the unicorn is mentioned in Numbers 23:22, 24:8; Deuteronomy 33:17; Psalm 22:21, 29:6, 92:10; Isaiah 34:7.

yeh , pretty cool don't you think? i saw one once!
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '08 04:19

It is of interest me as to why this was put in Job. One could argue that unicorns were simply made up but why? It is not like the story book of Job is a book of fantasy or even science fiction, rather, it is simply a book that trys to come to terms with suffering and the concept of God. What I do know is that Job is by far the oldest book in the Bible. Did creatures exist back then that were called unicorns or where there actual unicorns in the way we picture them today? Either that or you might say that the author of the book made up the whole account and simply had a great sense of humor.
  4. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '08 04:32
    Originally posted by whodey
    It is of interest me as to why this was put in Job. One could argue that unicorns were simply made up but why? It is not like the story book of Job is a book of fantasy or even science fiction, rather, it is simply a book that trys to come to terms with suffering and the concept of God. What I do know is that Job is by far the oldest book in the Bible. D ...[text shortened]... say that the author of the book made up the whole account and simply had a great sense of humor.
    What you said is so interesting to me? And so confusing as well,

who is the author of the book? I was assuming that Bible is assumed to be the word of GOD!!!

So is the author you are talking about in this phrase:

Either that or you might say that the author of the book made up the whole account and simply had a great sense of humor.

Is he GOD?
  5. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Nov '08 08:57
    YouTube

YouTube

That's all I got to say about unicorns.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Nov '08 11:39
    It is of interest me as to why this was put in Job. One could argue that unicorns were simply made up but why? It is not like the story book of Job is a book of fantasy or even science fiction, rather, it is simply a book that trys to come to terms with suffering and the concept of God. What I do know is that Job is by far the oldest book in the Bible. D ...[text shortened]... say that the author of the book made up the whole account and simply had a great sense of humor.
    What is the original (Hebrew?) word used, and is 'unicorn' and undisputed translation?
    Could he have been talking about rhinos?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '08 13:161 edit
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    What you said is so interesting to me? And so confusing as well,

who is the author of the book? I was assuming that Bible is assumed to be the word of GOD!!!

So is the author you are talking about in this phrase:

[b]Either that or you might say that the author of the book made up the whole account and simply had a great sense of humor.

Is he GOD?[/b]
    Of course I think it insipred by God and I do think the accounts are referring to an actual animals, however, the confusing part is that there is no evidence that I know of regarding the existence of unicorns as we know them today.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '08 13:16
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What is the original (Hebrew?) word used, and is 'unicorn' and undisputed translation?
    Could he have been talking about rhinos?
    I will have to look into it.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Nov '08 13:32
    I will have to look into it.
    According to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicorn

The word was Re’em and the only link to a unicorn was a decision by the KJV translators.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '08 13:46
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    According to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicorn

The word was Re’em and the only link to a unicorn was a decision by the KJV translators.
    Then the King James bible is not trustworthy.

In my bible it says wild ox. This is probably a better translation.
  11. Playing with matches
    Moves
    11 Nov '08 15:05
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Then the King James bible is not trustworthy.

In my bible it says wild ox. This is probably a better translation.
    In all seriousness, it probaly should have been translated as rhinocerous as this makes contextual sense throughout.

So much for the divinely inspired infalibility of the bible.

How the Hell am I supposed to take any of this seriously if the bible is full of significant inaccuracies? I'd be better off with a small pamphlet telling me to be good to my fellow man and to try not to kill each other, much.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Nov '08 16:11
    In all seriousness, it probaly should have been translated as rhinocerous as this makes contextual sense throughout.

So much for the divinely inspired infalibility of the bible.

How the Hell am I supposed to take any of this seriously if the bible is full of significant inaccuracies? I'd be better off with a small pamphlet telling me to be good to my fellow man and to try not to kill each other, much.
    duh!, have you never heard of a Greek and Hebrew interlinear? and yes if thats what you want you would be better off, infact so would we because at least you would be doing something useful rather than decry the entire biblical cannon on the basis of a mythical creature, 😀
  13. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 19:52

All of your reference, refer to Wild Ox, not uincorns. please do what I do. Read the scripture for yourself, and please tell others to do the same. The bible has no room for opinion, mine or otherwise. So next time you tell someone something about the bible tell them to read it for themself, and you should do the same. My pastor told me that. THe bib le does not say trust your pastor, bishop, deacon, choir members etc. The bible says trust the Lord. So please read.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 19:59
    Originally posted by realeyez
    All of your reference, refer to Wild Ox, not uincorns. please do what I do. Read the scripture for yourself, and please tell others to do the same. The bible has no room for opinion, mine or otherwise. So next time you tell someone something about the bible tell them to read it for themself, and you should do the same. My pastor told me that. THe bib le doe ...[text shortened]... t your pastor, bishop, deacon, choir members etc. The bible says trust the Lord. So please read.
    No, all his references refer to Re’em. Whether or not that can be correctly translated as Wild Ox, Unicorn or Rhinoceros is up for debate, but you are implying that you have the only correct translation, or worse, that your translation is "the Bible" and everything else including the original are mere shadows.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 20:14
    Originally posted by realeyez
    All of your reference, refer to Wild Ox, not uincorns. please do what I do. Read the scripture for yourself, and please tell others to do the same. The bible has no room for opinion, mine or otherwise. So next time you tell someone something about the bible tell them to read it for themself, and you should do the same. My pastor told me that. THe bib le doe ...[text shortened]... t your pastor, bishop, deacon, choir members etc. The bible says trust the Lord. So please read.
    Everyone interpretes the bible, like it shouldn't be taken letter by letter, even you do.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree