1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    18 May '14 01:28
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I'm not even sure 50% of the regular posters are Christian - and besides that we have all sorts of denominations.

How do you think any Moslem who prayed for you might feel?
    Who on this forum that actually did pray for me believes in a different god? Let that personspeak so we know who to give credit to. Until then, there's no reason to think otherwise, given what the majority of religious people on this forum are.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '14 01:481 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Before you throw a fit, make sure you have understood the conversation. I know perfectly well which God you believe in - and never claimed otherwise. What you don't seem to understand, is that I don't believe in the God you believe in. So when the suggestion is made that 'there is no harm in thanking God', it is a perfectly legitimate question for me to a ...[text shortened]... on of your religious beliefs to do so, so you actually believe there [b]is harm in doing so.[/b]
    /facepalm

I can't even continue in the face of such rampant "not-getting-the-point".

EDIT: Okay, I lied. I can continue. And I did so in the next post.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '14 01:56
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Wot he said.

It is not that we don't know what God you believe in. It is that we see the same amount of need/benefit/point in praying to any god (including yours) as you do to any of the others apart from yours.

If you were to pray to a god other than the one you believe in, which would it be? How would you decide? When you understand your answer to that question, you might begin to understand why we say 'which god?'.

--- Penguin
    WHY??

Why do you have to stand on your soapbox in EVERY conversation and proclaim your non-belief??

YES, WE GET IT. I acknowledge it. Too bad you can't do the same with my belief, and consider that, for me, it is JUST as valid as your non-belief.

I will play your game. Answer: I would not pray to any other god BECAUSE there is no other god. Yet I can still understand that you have no belief in a god, so why can you not understand that when I speak of God, it is MY God.

The "Which god?" question is just pure insult. You do know "which god", but you have to stand on your little soapbox and hit me in the face again with your manifesto of non-belief because you think I don't get it?

Please. Just a little respect, just a little understanding that I DO have a belief, even if YOU don't.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '14 01:58
    Originally posted by vivify
    Who on this forum that actually did pray for me believes in a different god? Let that personspeak so we know who to give credit to. Until then, there's no reason to think otherwise, given what the majority of religious people on this forum are.
    Yeah, I'm guessing, one or two, IF THAT.

For the non-believers to assume that the believers IN THIS FORUM are a rainbow of beliefs, I guess that is their right, but they are wrong.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '14 02:02
    I disagree. I think you have misunderstood my post. Please read it again, a little more calmly this time. Then apologize.

[b]What other god would a forum full of Christians pray to?

Exactly my point. If they would not pray to another god, then why would you think I would pray to their god?

And what other god would listen to them that should ...[text shortened]... int.

[b]Shut the hell up.

Try reading more carefully before you make such rude comments.[/b]
    Hey, get a brain and realize that Vivify is NOT asking non-believers to pray.

NO ONE in this forum expects the non-believers to pray to ANYone for ANYthing. You keep claiming no one is getting YOUR non-belief, well, we do.

YOU just don't get that we do.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '14 02:20
    Before you throw a fit, make sure you have understood the conversation. I know perfectly well which God you believe in - and never claimed otherwise. What you don't seem to understand, is that I don't believe in the God you believe in. So when the suggestion is made that 'there is no harm in thanking God', it is a perfectly legitimate question for me to a ...[text shortened]... on of your religious beliefs to do so, so you actually believe there [b]is harm in doing so.[/b]
    I have to revisit your post here and explain that it was not vivify asking non-believers to pray. I believe what you read as "what's the harm in thanking God?" was jaywill, or sonship as he's known now.

Before jumping on the rest of us with both feet for this, maybe you should take it up with the one who actually said it.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 May '14 07:23
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I can't even continue in the face of such rampant "not-getting-the-point".
    Yes, its blatantly obvious that you still don't get the point. Are you trying hard not to get it?

Answer: I would not pray to any other god BECAUSE there is no other god.
    So do you understand why asking others who do not pray to your God because there is no such God is equivalent to asking you to pray to other Gods?
    Do you accept that if you were to state that there was no harm in trying, then you would not be practicing what you preach?

...so why can you not understand that when I speak of God, it is MY God.
    I stated quite clearly that I know perfectly well which God you are referring to.

The "Which god?" question is just pure insult.
    Only if you misinterpret what is being said. The fact that you don't get it even after two posters have explained it to you in very clear terms, suggests you don't want to get it.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 May '14 07:43
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I have to revisit your post here and explain that it was not vivify asking non-believers to pray. I believe what you read as "what's the harm in thanking God?" was jaywill, or sonship as he's known now.
    And it was that phrase that I was referring to.

Before jumping on the rest of us with both feet for this, maybe you should take it up with the one who actually said it.
    Maybe you should read more carefully before you get offended that someone jumped on you with both feet.

Let me help you out a bit:
    Sonship said: "whats the harm in thanking God".
    Rajk999 said: "Belief in God is not required for him to guide or help you."
    Several posters posed the challenge that you should therefore be thanking all possible Gods.
    You showed up and insisted that you only thank the God you believe in and anyone suggesting anything else is trolling and that they should know 'damn well' which God to thank.
    I tried to explain it to you, and you misinterpreted what I said and got all offended.
    I tried to explain it again, and you continued to misinterpret me and get offended.

I am now trying to explain it again:
    1. We all know which God you believe in. We respect your right to hold beliefs and respect you as a person, but do not respect the beliefs themselves because quite frankly some of them are ridiculous.
    2. When we asked 'which God' we were not asking which God you believe in. We were referring to the statement by sonship asking "whats the harm in thanking God". Its possible that he was solely referring to Christians, but it seems to me to be an odd statement to make to Christians. We took it to mean he was referring to people who do not believe in God. This is backed up by Rajk999's comment.
    3. wolfgang59 then posed the challenge: why don't theists thank all the gods alphabetically.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree