1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 12:24
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    So you still have nothing to say about the actual content of the op. That's ok, you an let us know when you have.
    What I posted was a response to what you said about American Christians.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 12:291 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    What I posted was a response to what you said about American Christians.
    Let us know when you have anything of relevance to say about the Op's text. Perhaps this is not the thread for you. But thats ok, there may be others.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 12:30
    Let us know when you have anything of relevance to say about the Op's text. Perhaps this is not the thread for you.
    Of certain American Christians, you said "...anything which falls outwith their narrow perspective is the work of the devil and to be condemned. There is no attempt at understanding, just a narrow lens...". This is the comment that you made on this thread that I am responding to.
  4. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 12:42
    I never watch CNN after I read the NSA monitor it and map the ip addresses!
    they pay lip service to god but follow the money and Satan.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 12:52
    Yes its about as far removed from Christ as you can get. This has been of some interest to me, how Americans reconcile their perceptions of Christianity to end up in positions on the extreme right. Where is the compassion of the Christ for the women afflicted with a flow of blood for eighteen years? is it lost to them in a deluge of self righteousn ...[text shortened]... work of the devil and to be condemned. There is no attempt at understanding, just a narrow lens.
    I can tell you what happened in our family. My grandmother, when she started menstruation, was never told by her parents that something like that was inevitable with young girls. So when she started bleeding, she went to her dad thinking she was dying. Instead of sympathy and saying, look, here is how it is with girls', he beat her for daring to bring up such a filthy subject.

My grandmother subsequently was pretty nutsoid her whole life and I suspect that incident was the fundamental cause.

That speaks of barbarism not much further removed than the genital mutilation of girls in Africa.

All thanks to religion.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 14:02
    Let us know when you have anything of relevance to say about the Op's text. Perhaps this is not the thread for you. But thats ok, there may be others.
    It seems you are done talking about the OP, too.

But your "They have a kind of Puritan streak..." nails one important aspect of the issue. It's easy to be sanctimonious about our distaste for facing the one of the most in-your-face negative aspects of our society, that aspect being that it tolerates people having to live under overpasses as long as we don't see them in our neighborhood. Raising our distaste to the level of proud moral standing makes the resulting continuance of homeless poverty seem downright virtuous. Whereas the real message isn't virtuous, it's go to Miami where you belong, or at least get out of my sight.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 14:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    Of certain American Christians, you said "...anything which falls outwith their narrow perspective is the work of the devil and to be condemned. There is no attempt at understanding, just a narrow lens...". This is the comment that you made on this thread that I am responding to.
    I am perfectly aware of what I said and yet you have still failed to address any issue the OP raised instead making some personal comment about someone not here to defend themselves. This thread is about an allegedly Christian state denying the right to express charity. Your attempts to make it personal are banal, repetitive and transparent. Please try to troll somewhere else, this may not be the thread for you.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 14:45
    I am perfectly aware of what I said and yet you have still failed to address any issue the OP raised instead making some personal comment about someone not here to defend themselves. This thread is about an allegedly Christian state denying the right to express charity. Your attempts to make it personal are banal, repetitive and transparent. Please try to troll somewhere else, this may not be the thread for you.
    "This thread is about an allegedly Christian state denying the right to express charity."

The obvious reason is either that it's not a "Christian state" or Christianity is not always pro-charity. Which do people here think it is, and why? (It could, of course, be both.)
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 14:502 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    It seems you are done talking about the OP, too.

But your "They have a kind of Puritan streak..." nails one important aspect of the issue. It's easy to be sanctimonious about our distaste for facing the one of the most in-your-face negative aspects of our society, that aspect being that it tolerates people having to live under overpasses as long as we don' ...[text shortened]... real message isn't virtuous, it's go to Miami where you belong, or at least get out of my sight.
    no not really, when someone is determined to reduce a thread to a level of a tabloid with personal references, chances must be given for them to attempt to address the issues that were raised. FMF has been given three chances, he has failed to address the issue. Personally I will waste no more time with him. He has nothing of interest to say to me for I am interested in the actual issue that was raised, that being that an allegedly Christian orientated state has denied others the freedom to express charity.

I checked out the mayor of said state, he is a Roman Catholic. How much influence he has over legislation I cannot say. Is it that homeless people present a kind of moral dilemma that the affluent would rather not face? You must understand the problem that someone has with this. Christ himself was homeless as an adult. He was from a very poor family. How is it possible to reconcile these patterns with a kind of righteous indignation against people who are less fortunate. It simply fails to compute. Is private property really where its at? Are people so shallow to believe that bricks and mortar are a reflection of them as people? I will never understand people like that, they are beyond my understanding. How does driving a specific type of car reflect on you as person? Do you jump in it and emerge as a super hero? Please explain.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 15:091 edit
    no not really, when someone is determined to reduce a thread to a level of a tabloid with personal references, chances must be given for them to attempt to address the issues that were raised. FMF has been given three chances, he has failed to address the issue. Personally I will waste no more time with him. He has nothing of interest to say to me ...[text shortened]... e of car reflect on you as person? Do you jump in it and emerge as a super hero? Please explain.
    Getting at people's true motivations for doing what the city did in Florida would probably yield a variety of things. One general motivation IMO would be fear that the practice will attract more homeless.

San Fransisco near where I live is known for its generous treatment of the homeless poor. It's by no means totally generous but is relatively so.

Please read this:

"The city of San Francisco is suing Nevada over a state psychiatric facility that allegedly dumped thousands of poor and homeless patients with mental illnesses onto buses with one-way tickets to states like California and told them to seek medical care there. City attorneys claim that the practice cost San Francisco $500,000 in public funds to house and treat patients who should have been receiving care at the Rawson-Neal psychiatric hospital in Nevada, and that the lawsuit (which officials hope to make a class-action one) is meant to hold the state accountable in addition to reclaiming expenses."

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/09/11/2602391/san-francisco-sues-nevada-patient-dumping/
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 15:10
    Originally posted by redbadger
    they pay lip service to god but follow the money and Satan.
    Jesus was homeless for goodness sake.

Jesus replied, "Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 15:16
    Originally posted by JS357
    Getting at people's true motivations for doing what the city did in Florida would probably yield a variety of things. One general motivation IMO would be fear that the practice will attract more homeless.

San Fransisco near where I live is known for its generous treatment of the homeless poor. It's by no means totally generous but is relatively so.

Plea ...[text shortened]...

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/09/11/2602391/san-francisco-sues-nevada-patient-dumping/
    wow - really i don't know what to say. As for those in Florida, its cited in the article that such initiatives have helped 38 homeless people overcome their problems. If its helping people does it matter if it attracts more people?
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 15:41
    wow - really i don't know what to say. As for those in Florida, its cited in the article that such initiatives have helped 38 homeless people overcome their problems. If its helping people does it matter if it attracts more people?
    Fine, but you do not see the city of San Francisco busing these people back to Nevada, You see it seeking to recover money spent. Fort Lauderdale is nowhere near the levels seen in SFO.

I DOES matter if it attracts more people. There are unintended consequences for any municipality that opens its arms wide, and for the homeless themselves. Broader based solutions are needed.

Here's some more background.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-fort-lauderdale-versus-homeless-history-20141113-story.html#page=1
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 15:41
    Yes it does matter.

Because their resources, their budgets, are finite. And generally a lot smaller than they aught
    to be.

So a system set up to help the people in need you currently have may not be able to cope
    with more coming in from elsewhere.

For one state to ship people in desperate need of support to someone else's jurisdiction to
    get the second state to pick up the tab for their support rather than the first state to pay
    for it themselves is pretty despicable.

There is a similar problem in Europe [as you well know] where freedom of movement coupled
    with disparity in social care and employment levels is leading to large immigration from
    eastern Europe into [usually] the UK.
    And we are not building the facilities needed for that big influx of people.
    We have a major housing shortfall apart from anything else.

This is one of the many reasons for investing properly in foreign aid.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 15:42
    FMF has been given three chances, he has failed to address the issue. Personally I will waste no more time with him.
    Presumably you think the post of yours to which I am responding was on topic. That makes my question about your comment on American Christians on topic too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree