More than you apparently give it.
    Ha-ha!
    I get it!
    You are so clever!
    Look at you!
    Hey, everyone!
    Look at twhitehead!

What is this 'obvious battle'?
    HINT: The answer to your question is in the statement you emboldened and quoted, literally directly right before your question.
    SUPER-DUPER HINT: It's a battle of thought.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Oct '15 14:55
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I get it!
    No, I don't think you do. Think harder.

HINT: The answer to your question is in the statement you emboldened and quoted, literally directly right before your question.

I still don't get it. Why don't you spell it out?
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Oct '15 23:55
    Are you asking because you really think it's not possible that any scientist on earth might hold to a flat earth theory, or because you want to see if you recognize their names?
    I don't know. It all depends on if YOU are asking THIS question because you're trying to trick me, or sincerely wonder what the answer is! 😕
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 03:272 edits
    I generally avoid copy/pasting large amounts of text but I thought others may enjoy this from proverbs 4, which builds to verse 23.

1 Hear, children, fatherly instruction; pay attention to gain understanding. 2 I'll teach you well. Don't abandon my instruction. 3 When I was a son to my father, tender and my mother's favorite, 4 he taught me and said to me: "Let your heart hold on to my words: Keep my commands and live. 5 Get wisdom; get understanding. Don't forget and don't turn away from my words. 6 Don't abandon her, and she will guard you. Love her, and she will protect you. 7 The beginning of wisdom: Get wisdom! Get understanding before anything else. 8 Highly esteem her, and she will exalt you. She will honor you if you embrace her. 9 She will place a graceful wreath on your head; she will give you a glorious crown."
    Stay on the path of wisdom
    10 Listen, my son, and take in my speech, then the years of your life will be many. 11 I teach you the path of wisdom. I lead you in straight courses. 12 When you walk, you won't be hindered; when you run, you won't stumble. 13 Hold on to instruction; don't slack off; protect it, for it is your life. 14 Don't go on the way of the wicked; don't walk on the path of evil people. 15 Avoid it! Don't turn onto it; stay off of it and keep going! 16 They don't sleep unless they do evil; they are robbed of sleep unless they make someone stumble. 17 They eat the bread of evil, and they drink the wine of violence. 18 The way of the righteous is like morning light that gets brighter and brighter till it is full day. 19 The path of the wicked is like deep darkness; they don't know where they will stumble.
    Be careful about what you say
    20 My son, pay attention to my words. Bend your ear to my speech. 21 Don't let them slip from your sight. Guard them in your mind. 22 They are life to those who find them, and healing for their entire body. 23 More than anything you guard, protect your mind, for life flows from it. 24 Have nothing to do with a corrupt mouth; keep devious lips far from you. 25 Focus your eyes straight ahead; keep your gaze on what is in front of you. 26 Watch your feet on the way, and all your paths will be secure. 27 Don't deviate a bit to the right or the left; turn your feet away from evil.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 04:33
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I don't know. It all depends on if YOU are asking THIS question because you're trying to trick me, or sincerely wonder what the answer is! 😕
    I'm challenging the idea or suggestion that there might not be scientists who hold to a flat earth theory, who have rejected the earth as a globe.
    With the wide spectrum of human thought, I reject the notion of anything resembling complete unification on any scientific theory, or that there aren't outliers in every field.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 04:33
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No, I don't think you do. Think harder.

[b]HINT: The answer to your question is in the statement you emboldened and quoted, literally directly right before your question.

I still don't get it. Why don't you spell it out?[/b]
    Nah.
    Figure it out on the basis of what's been provided or move on.
    Suit yourself either way.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 11:34
    I'm challenging the idea or suggestion that there might not be scientists who hold to a flat earth theory, who have rejected the earth as a globe.
    With the wide spectrum of human thought, I reject the notion of anything resembling complete unification on any scientific theory, or that there aren't outliers in every field.
    The qualifying word - respectable scientist - was fairly important here.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 17:40
    Nah.
    Figure it out on the basis of what's been provided or move on.
    Suit yourself either way.
    You neither value serious thought nor good communication. I'll have to move on.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 23:571 edit
    No, it's essentially ludicrous, basic naval navigation relies on the way the earth is a sphere. Things go wrong in obvious practical ways if overwhelmingly proven concepts are discarded. I think your example is too wild to demonstrate anything.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    15 Oct '15 06:57
    Thoughts matter because they affect our perceptions of what is real or not real, fact or not fact.

Example: put a fossil in a YEC's hand and he sees something which is at most 6,000 years old. In one sense he sees the same thing I would see if had that fossil in my hand, but in another sense we are not seeing the same thing at all. The difference is in the thought, not the fossil.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Oct '15 07:04
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Example: put a fossil in a YEC's hand and he sees something which is at most 6,000 years old. In one sense he sees the same thing I would see if had that fossil in my hand, but in another sense we are not seeing the same thing at all. The difference is in the thought, not the fossil.
    That is more about beliefs than thoughts (unless you consider beliefs to be thoughts). Both I and a YEC should see a lump of rock shaped like a bone or shellfish or whatever it is a fossil of. The difference come in what our educations are and what we understand about the history of the object we are looking at. We see the same object but have different beliefs about its history.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    15 Oct '15 08:261 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That is more about beliefs than thoughts (unless you consider beliefs to be thoughts). Both I and a YEC should see a lump of rock shaped like a bone or shellfish or whatever it is a fossil of. The difference come in what our educations are and what we understand about the history of the object we are looking at. We see the same object but have different beliefs about its history.
    Beliefs are clearly influenced by thoughts (and by education too, of course).

Further example: when Galileo looked through his telescope at the moons of Saturn, he saw circular orbits; when the churchmen looked through their telescopes at the moons of Saturn, they saw spirals within spirals. That's nothing to do with beliefs about history and everything to do with thoughts (or thought-systems, e.g. Ptolemaic or Copernican).

Galileo was forbidden not only to say the earth moved or that the sun was at the center of the solar system, he was forbidden even to think such things, on pain of death by slow torture. That was the significance of forcing people to renounce heresy "without reservation". Having a " reservation" meant something like 'I'm saying X but I'm not really believing it, I'm crossing my fingers behind my back.' It was crucial to the Church to control people's thoughts. Why? Because thoughts matter.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Oct '15 08:28
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    The qualifying word - respectable scientist - was fairly important here.
    I like how you were able to put a sneer in that sentence without having to use any facial muscles.
    So when you use the word respectable, are you meaning it in the same way the media use it when describing scientists who reject the status quo on global warming?
    In other words, wouldn't any scientist who doesn't hold to the current company line, i.e, popular opinion, necessarily be removed from the respectable members of their fields?
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Oct '15 08:29
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    No, it's essentially ludicrous, basic naval navigation relies on the way the earth is a sphere. Things go wrong in obvious practical ways if overwhelmingly proven concepts are discarded. I think your example is too wild to demonstrate anything.
    I've not heard that before.

In what way do you mean that basic naval navigation relies on a spherical earth?
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    15 Oct '15 09:32
    I've not heard that before.

In what way do you mean that basic naval navigation relies on a spherical earth?
    Try sailing on a constant bearing and see if you go in a straight line.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree