1. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 00:211 edit
    No need to thank anyone but many things of what science knows to day is credited to Vedic literature.

Ancient Indian mathematician Bhaskaracharya, in his book Siddhanta Shriromani, defined laws of gravity in the 12th century, 500 years before Newton defined them for us. The speed of light has been known to Indians since the Vedic period, centuries before it was calculated by the Western world.

Maitree, a group of professionals from Tata Consultancy Services and Bengaluru-based NGO Samskrita Bharati, have come together with a unique exhibition, Pride of India, to spread awareness about India's rich scientific heritage.

“Our aim is to tell that zero is not the only contribution that Indians have made to science and math.” he added.
    Manjramkar commented, “Very few of us know that the speed of light was known to Indians in the Vedic period. A shloka says that the speed of light is 2202 yojana per half nimesha. A yojana is a unit of distance which is equal to 9.06 miles and half a nimesha is one tenth of a second. The figure is very close to the modern measurement of speed of light.”

“One of the shlokas in the exhibition describes a conversation between Bhaskaracharya and his daughter Leelavati, who also was a mathematician. The conversation beautifully explains the spherical shape of the earth and the gravitational force that keeps planets revolving in space,” said Manjaramkar, and all this was known before science even existed in this world.
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 00:345 edits
    Originally posted by Dasa
    No need to thank anyone but many things of what science knows to day is credited to Vedic literature.

Ancient Indian mathematician Bhaskaracharya, in his book Siddhanta Shriromani, defined laws of gravity in the 12th century, 500 years before Newton defined them for us. The speed of light has been known to Indians since the Vedic period, centuries before it in space,” said Manjaramkar, and all this was known before science even existed in this world.
    We have seen this argument of yours already: Thread 135949 (page 2-4 (maybe onwards)), it isn't the best approximation to the speed of light - thus your 'perfect' Vedanta contains errors.
  3. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 01:36
    Originally posted by Agerg
    We have seen this argument of yours already: Thread 135949 (page 2-4 (maybe onwards)), it isn't the best approximation to the speed of light - thus your 'perfect' Vedanta contains errors.
    Yes....but you cannot talk about the speed of light without defining your frame of reference, and since I cannot tell you the reference of Vedic calculations, then I can only say that the Vedic presentation is sufficient.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 03:242 edits
    Yes....but you cannot talk about the speed of light without defining your frame of reference, and since I cannot tell you the reference of Vedic calculations, then I can only say that the Vedic presentation is sufficient.
    Tell me what the experiments were to derive the speed of light way back then. I am curious.

The only thing I can say about that is what did they do with that information? When we figured it out we went on to make stuff like light bulbs, lasers, optical networks, telescopes and the like. What did your guys do with their discoveries back then?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 03:471 edit
    First you say they worked it out. Then it is pointed out that the calculation was not correct. Then you say that it was "sufficient", partly based on the admission that you don't know why the calculation was incorrect. You're not a scientist, clearly. Look Dasa, no one doubts your sincerity.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 04:55
    Either the Vedic result can be verified as accurate or it can't. You admit that it cant, so your claim that it is accurate is mere hearsay. So there is really no reason to believe that ancient Indians knew the speed of light except your claim that they did. And your claim is not based on evidence but on your own faith in the accuracy of the Vedas.
  7. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 05:47
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Tell me what the experiments were to derive the speed of light way back then. I am curious.

The only thing I can say about that is what did they do with that information? When we figured it out we went on to make stuff like light bulbs, lasers, optical networks, telescopes and the like. What did your guys do with their discoveries back then?
    In Vedic civilization no one cares about the speed of light or gravity or the law of thermodynamics, because knowing stuff about them does not solve the real problems of life namely....birth, disease, old age and death that we are forced to accept in this temporary world of suffering.

Instead Vedic knowledge gives us very important information about getting back to Godhead, which is actually the true reason we are offered a human form.

Material advancement has come astonishingly a long way, and all credit must be given to the scientists who have given us all our toys....but for the self realized person, they do not care one way or the other if they have a toy or not.
  8. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 05:58
    Originally posted by sonhouse

The speed of light was never worked out by the Vedas.... it was only ever presented in the Vedas in an indirect way by the telling of an eternal pastime (story).....and then it was only recently that the Indian scientists made the discovery that the figures in the story actually gave the speed of light as well.

Now the information given in the eternal story from Vedanta which gives the speed of light is given under different circumstances than the circumstances we find ourselves in at present.....and these different circumstances are belonging to a cosmos existing trillions of years ago, and this is why when talking about the speed of light we have to define the reference point at the time of the calculation.

I do not have that information for defining the speed of light trillions of years ago.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 06:01
    In Vedic civilization no one cares about the speed of light or gravity or the law of thermodynamics, because knowing stuff about them does not solve the real problems of life namely....birth, disease, old age and death that we are forced to accept in this temporary world of suffering.
    Science has contributed an enormous amount to our understanding of birth, disease, old age and death. What an odd claim for you to make. And how can you start a thread called "Vedic knowledge at the foundation of modern science" and then suddenly concede that Vedic civilization does not care about science as soon as several posters point out the logical errors with your OP claims?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 06:031 edit
    Now the information given in the eternal story from Vedanta which gives the speed of light is given under different circumstances than the circumstances we find ourselves in at present.....and these different circumstances are belonging to a cosmos existing trillions of years ago, and this is why when talking about the speed of light we have to define the reference point at the time of the calculation.
    In other words they did not manage to calculate it correctly? In the OP you appear to claim that they managed to calculate it correctly. Did they or did they not manage to calculate it correctly?
  11. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 06:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    In other words they did not manage to calculate it correctly?
    Read my post 100 times over and you will eventually see that the answer is there.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 06:081 edit
    Read my post 100 times over and you will eventually see that the answer is there.
    I read it a couple of times. It was enough. Are you claiming that Vedas calculated the speed of light correctly? You seem to be doing this in your OP but also seem to have been back tracking ever since. You now are saying - and I will quote you - "The speed of light was never worked out by the Vedas" - and yet in the OP you claim that they did work out the speed of light - and I will quote you again - "...the speed of light was known to Indians in the Vedic period". You cannot have it both ways, Dasa.
  13. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 06:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    Science has contributed an enormous amount to our understanding of birth, disease, old age and death. What an odd claim for you to make. And how can you start a thread called "Vedic knowledge at the foundation of modern science" and then suddenly concede that Vedic civilization does not care about science as soon as several posters point out the logical errors with your OP claims?
    Vedic society loves science when it is honest science,...... and when it is contributing to assisting the person to go back home to Godhead.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 06:11
    Vedic society loves science when it is honest science
    And science that conflicts with what you purport to be Vedic "authority" is "dishonest"?
  15. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 06:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    I read it a couple of times. It was enough. Are you claiming that Vedas calculated the speed of light correctly? You seem to be doing this in your OP but also seem to have been back tracking ever since. You now are saying - and I will quote you - "The speed of light was never worked out by the Vedas" - and yet in the OP you claim that they [b]did work out the speed of light. You cannot have it both ways, Dasa.[/b]
    I can have it both ways ......because the Vedas like I said, never worked out the speed of light but in the telling of an eternal pastime it is given indirectly

Then only recently the Indians realized that the Vedas had given the speed of light.

No one worked it out.

And the figures that were presented relate to a different time trillions of years ago....and you have to realize that when light travels through the cosmos it can travel at different speeds according to the circumstances.

I was not around during those different circumstances to tell you what they were

To anyone......I am not going to turn this into a witch hunt about the speed of light like before, so the understanding is there.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree