1. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    17 Sep '07 16:32
    The Bible was written by men. It suffered so many alterations by men. It's not written in a clear way. Most of it must be interpreted by men. (and interpretations vary a lot)
    How can it be seen as as absolute, fundamental truth? Specially when it goes so many times against repeated evidence provided by nature.
    Does a Christian ever question the veracity of this book?
    I see it's easier to bend everyday reality to be in accordance with the saying of the Bible then to simple say "it was written so long ago, it is wrong"
  2. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    17 Sep '07 20:54
    Originally posted by serigado
    The Bible was written by men. It suffered so many alterations by men. It's not written in a clear way. Most of it must be interpreted by men. (and interpretations vary a lot)
    How can it be seen as as absolute, fundamental truth? Specially when it goes so many times against repeated evidence provided by nature.
    Does a Christian ever question the veracity o ...[text shortened]... ce with the saying of the Bible then to simple say "it was written so long ago, it is wrong"
    if the bible was really written by people, they must have been pretty smart. There is a lot of good stuff in there.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Sep '07 22:00
    Does a Christian ever question the veracity o ...[text shortened]... ce with the saying of the Bible then to simple say "it was written so long ago, it is wrong"
    Give a specific example.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Sep '07 22:30
    Anyone can make assertions. In fact, I could assert the opposite. Now how about some info to back up your claims.
  5. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    17 Sep '07 23:222 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    Anyone can make assertions. In fact, I could assert the opposite. Now how about some info to back up your claims.
    Which claim? Example of what? Bible was written by men, i thought this was a fact... I thought everything i said was a fact. I was only wondering how, in front of these facts you can take the Bible as so absolute and error proof.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Sep '07 23:25
    Which claim? Example of what? Bible was written by men, i thought this was a fact... I thought everything i said was a fact. I was only wondering how, in front of these facts you can take the Bible as so absolute and error proof.
    For starters, you claim that the Bible has been tampered to such a degree that it cannot be trusted.
  7. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    17 Sep '07 23:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    For starters, you claim that the Bible has been tampered to such a degree that it cannot be trusted.
    Among the translations, conventions to alter some of the writings (this is not consensual... some historians say its true, the whole catholic church swears it never happened), do you believe the words you have now in the Bible are all equal to the original ones? Are you sure? Forget about the facts. I'm only asking if you are 100% sure the Bible is in everything true and perfect. Do you believe the Bible is an absolute truth?
  8. Joined
    06 May '07
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 00:09
    so do you belive in Evloution the big bang therory
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 07:53
    Originally posted by LivingForJesus
    so do you belive in Bibele the Chriost
  10. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 13:121 edit
    Originally posted by LivingForJesus
    I don't believe in Evolution and even less the Big Bang theory. I "believe" they are incomplete, and I admit the probability they are wrong.
    But they are the best explanation for what really happened so far. I'm not happy with the explanation, but science is only starting to develop.

Why do you believe so radically in a book?
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 13:57
    I don't believe in Evolution and even less the Big Bang theory. I "believe" they are incomplete, and I admit the probability they are wrong.
    But they are the best explanation for what really happened so far. I'm not happy with the explanation, but science is only starting to develop.

Why do you believe so radically in a book?
    Why do you sound so doubtful about the Theory of Evolution? Why are you 'not happy' with it? The over all theory is so clear and obvious to the educated and has not changed since Darwin wrote about it in "the origin of the species" and will not be changing any time soon. The evidence is overwhelming, the logic is clear, why the doubt? Are you similarly unhappy about the theory of Gravity? What about special relativity?
    We do not know how each and every creature evolved nor do we have a video tape of every living thing past and present but that they did evolve is undeniable fact.
  12. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 14:131 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why do you sound so doubtful about the Theory of Evolution? Why are you 'not happy' with it? The over all theory is so clear and obvious to the educated and has not changed since Darwin wrote about it in "the origin of the species" and will not be changing any time soon. The evidence is overwhelming, the logic is clear, why the doubt? Are you similarly un ...[text shortened]... deo tape of every living thing past and present but that they did evolve is undeniable fact.
    I'm not so doubtful as I made it seem by my words. I justed wanted to mark I don't believe in something to the point of saying "this is the truth". Evolution by it self can't explain some things. Put it's pretty close to hit the sweet spot.
    I'm quite happy with theory of gravity and relativity. They are mathematical modelings of the real world that can be experienced at the present time at any time I want. The theory of gravity within the limits of special relativity, and special relativity within the limits of general relativity.
    With the word "believe" I meant "this is the truth".
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 15:14
    Among the translations, conventions to alter some of the writings (this is not consensual... some historians say its true, the whole catholic church swears it never happened), do you believe the words you have now in the Bible are all equal to the original ones? Are you sure? Forget about the facts. I'm only asking if you are 100% sure the Bible is in everything true and perfect. Do you believe the Bible is an absolute truth?
    All non-believers and some believers have a hard time with this assertion; namely, the KJV, I believe, is the Word of God. It is inerrant.

I believe this because I know something you don't know.

I'd tell you what it is, but you wouldn't believe it anyway.
  14. Standard membermdhall
    Mr Palomar
    A box
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 15:28
    Arrangements for this version were completed by the appointment of fifty-four learned men, who were also to secure the suggestions of all competent persons, that, as the king put it, "our said translation may have the help and furtherance of all our principal learned men within this our kingdom." This attitude of the king, the removal of their first suspicions, and the undoubted merits of the case, brought about a hearty acquiescence on the part of those who had at first opposed the movement. His Majesty's instructions to the translators were these:

This is an excerpt from the history of the KJV bible.
    http://www.bible-researcher.com/kjvhist.html
    More information on wiki,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Version

Point is: No, the bible is not written by god, it's not untainted by translations and the inevitable scholastic debating surrounding translation of an epic piece of literature spanning several languages and cultures. It's not untainted from political aspirations from both kings and bishops.

In short: the bible was written by lots of humans, from different times, in different languages; and what you have in front of you today is a gross estimate of what it once was, combined with what the bishops and kings wanted you to read.

If you want a more approximate understanding of what Christ really started, you'd be better off reading the Philokalia.
  15. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 15:29
    Originally posted by josephw
    All non-believers and some believers have a hard time with this assertion; namely, the KJV, I believe, is the Word of God. It is inerrant.

I believe this because I know something you don't know.

I'd tell you what it is, but you wouldn't believe it anyway.
    Didn't quite follow, I'm sorry. What is KJV.
    What do you know that I don't? Some personal experience you had makes you believe?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree