1. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    29 May '11 16:56
    A recent post has equated a sadist and Jesus ! Although I am not a Christian but a devout Hindu,I cannot even begin to think in terms like these about Jesus.
    Jesus,according to every sensible human being who has read Bible,was unquestionably an incarnation of God. His gentle and loving persona comes through the scripture like a cool breeze which comforts all people in sorrow and agony,empasises that even animals deserve our love,says that only persons with innocent minds like children will access heaven.To say that he was a sadist is something like spitting on the Sun.The spittle will fall on the face of the person who dared to spit.
    I have revered Scientists as Saviors of humanity. Even though I say that Dawkins has gone for an overkill,I do regard him as a person with considerable interest in seeing that humanity should erase superstition from its thinking. I respect his right to think about God the way he wants to but I would never call him a loony.
    Why then this vicious vilification of God ? Any comments ?
  2. Maryland
    Moves
    29 May '11 17:16
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    A recent post has equated a sadist and Jesus ! Although I am not a Christian but a devout Hindu,I cannot even begin to think in terms like these about Jesus.
    Jesus,according to every sensible human being who has read Bible,was unquestionably an incarnation of God. His gentle and loving persona comes through the scripture like a cool breeze which comfort ...[text shortened]... but I would never call him a loony.
    Because, according to Christians, if you don't believe in Jesus, you will spend eternity being tormented in hell. This is evil and sadistic!
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 May '11 17:42
    Jesus,according to every sensible human being who has read Bible,was unquestionably an incarnation of God. His gentle and loving persona comes through the scripture like a cool breeze which comforts all people in sorrow and agony,empasises that even animals deserve our love,says that only persons with innocent minds like children will access heaven.To say ...[text shortened]... hing like spitting on the Sun.The spittle will fall on the face of the person who dared to spit.
    Jesus comes across as a man who could apparently walk on water, feed thousands of his followers, raise friends from the dead, but apparently chose not to save anyone else from suffering. So either he couldn't, he chose not to (sadist), or there is some 'greater plan' that some of us do not understand. Christians often claim to understand it all, but seem to have extreme difficulty explaining it to the rest of us.
    Until they succeed, he will continue to look like a sadist from where I stand.
  4. England
    Moves
    29 May '11 19:01
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Because, according to Christians, if you don't believe in Jesus, you will spend eternity being tormented in hell. This is evil and sadistic!
    according to jesus god wants us all to go to heaven and its not christians who decide your fate in the life eternal. as jesus put it not all who say they knew me, will get to the kingdom. so look to your life if you get sent to the place of weeping and wailing
  5. England
    Moves
    29 May '11 19:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Jesus comes across as a man who could apparently walk on water, feed thousands of his followers, raise friends from the dead, but apparently chose not to save anyone else from suffering. So either he couldn't, he chose not to (sadist), or there is some 'greater plan' that some of us do not understand. Christians often claim to understand it all, but seem ...[text shortened]... e rest of us.
    if your standing in the wrong place move.....
    there is a greater plan as you put it. but you ask when you meet up with him, i think you will get a answer. we on the otherhand give our interpritation of the word, they differ on sevral points but we will find out in our hour.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 May '11 19:14
    Originally posted by stoker
    there is a greater plan as you put it. but you ask when you meet up with him, i think you will get a answer.
    I guess so. Until then, I will assume that the Jesus and God as described in the Bible are sadists, and don't exist anyway. Further, I will assume that you do not have any explanation for this, so you essentially run away from the questions.
  7. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    29 May '11 19:20
    One thing I would say is that God is sovereign and he does things which seem inexplicable to our finite minds. Like why even allow suffering at all? Any Christian who says otherwise is being disingenuous.

Manny
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 May '11 21:02
    Jesus,according to every sensible human being who has read Bible,was unquestionably an incarnation of God. His gentle and loving persona comes through the scripture like a cool breeze which comfort ...[text shortened]... but I would never call him a loony.
    These are all just variations on the argument from evil/pain. The book of Job raised similar issues and was included in the Bible, so it doesn't seem to me to be all that "vicious" to raise them here.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 May '11 21:42
    I guess so. Until then, I will assume that the Jesus and God as described in the Bible are sadists, and don't exist anyway. Further, I will assume that you do not have any explanation for this, so you essentially run away from the questions.
    As I have said before to "assume" is to make as ass out of u and me.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    29 May '11 21:42
    Originally posted by menace71
    One thing I would say is that God is sovereign and he does things which seem inexplicable to our finite minds. Like why even allow suffering at all? Any Christian who says otherwise is being disingenuous.

Manny
    If god operates by a moral compass that is incomprehensible to humans, then humans have no basis for claiming that god is morally good. The most that could be said is that god's goodness is unknowable.
  11. England
    Moves
    29 May '11 22:25
    not 100% on what you mean i would not run away from any query. but if i take your point that in some way they are or have a sadistic attitude. then in my oppinion there judgement is final whatever you think. they have told we humans the rules by which we should live and the reasons why, if by our will we chose to break from this why blame someone else ..it maybe a story but the or the truth im open on it but 3day in the whale landing on the city to tell them a disaster comeing if they do not repent and they did does this not show that if we turn he will change his ..
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 May '11 23:00
    The message in the opening post is :

Get a life. ...

You understand?
  13. St. Peter's
    Moves
    30 May '11 00:53
    please do not use absolutes when making accusations. It would be accurate to say Some Christians believe... but not all.
  14. St. Peter's
    Moves
    30 May '11 00:57
    Jesus comes across as a man who could apparently walk on water, feed thousands of his followers, raise friends from the dead, but apparently chose not to save anyone else from suffering. So either he couldn't, he chose not to (sadist), or there is some 'greater plan' that some of us do not understand. Christians often claim to understand it all, but seem ...[text shortened]... e rest of us.
    Christ has saved hundreds of millions from suffering, pity you can't see that. It is only in your irrational hatred of Jesus that you would make such a silly and ill thought remark
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 May '11 01:57
    Originally posted by rwingett
    If god operates by a moral compass that is incomprehensible to humans, then humans have no basis for claiming that god is morally good. The most that could be said is that god's goodness is unknowable.
    We have the testamony of God's only begotton Son, who said
    there is only one that is good and that one is God.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree