1. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 May '11 02:42
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    We have the testamony of God's only begotton Son, who said
    there is only one that is good and that one is God.
    No, we don't have any such thing.
    We have accounts written about his testimony. Accounts written by people who weren't actually there.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 May '11 02:53
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    We have the testamony of God's only begotton Son, who said
    there is only one that is good and that one is God.
    😴
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '11 03:00
    Originally posted by rwingett
    😴
    😴
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 May '11 03:05
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    😴
    😴😠
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '11 03:13
    😀
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '11 10:19
    Human life doesn't mean much outside of the concept of a creator. Who cares what happens to us - no one.

We happened by accident. We are bunch of random molecules who's only claim to fame is to defy the 2nd law of thermodynamics; and one day the flying spaghetti monster* will build a highway through our planet destroying us all in a microsecond. All our art literature, history philosophy and civilisation will be gone, and no one will give rats arse.

*OK perhaps it will be a comet strike
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 May '11 11:34
    Originally posted by Doward
    Christ has saved hundreds of millions from suffering, pity you can't see that.
    Yes, I cannot see that. Can you explain it?

It is only in your irrational hatred of Jesus that you would make such a silly and ill thought remark
    I do not hate Jesus. I just made an honest comment based on what I see. And as long as you resort to insults rather than actually explaining why you think I am incorrect, I will have to assume that it is just a knee jerk reaction on your part to something that you have no defense for.
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 May '11 12:173 edits
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Because, according to Christians, if you don't believe in Jesus, you will spend eternity being tormented in hell. This is evil and sadistic!
    ===================================
    Because, according to Christians, if you don't believe in Jesus, you will spend eternity being tormented in hell. This is evil and sadistic!
    =======================================

If a sinner rejects the Son of God, I believe that his own conscience itself will inevitably cry out for the relief of punishment, when he realizes the nature of the One he has spurned and how great His sacrificial love for sinners was.

There is One with whom our destiny is to agree.

Either you will come to agree with Him as a glorious son of God and brother of Jesus Christ in eternal glory or you will come to agree with Him as a condemned sinner being punished forever.

Either way, our destiny is to come to agreement with the ultimate truth.
  9. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    30 May '11 12:26
    If god operates by a moral compass that is incomprehensible to humans, then humans have no basis for claiming that god is morally good. The most that could be said is that god's goodness is unknowable.
    The so called " moral compass " ,in the beginning of human society, is a handiwork of man and is not God's doing.This moral system must have come into being to safeguard the newly emergent human society from its own members who could have threatened the fabric of this society by their anti social mores.The moral framework must have developed into a system of laws on one hand and a set of ethical rules backed by religion on the other hand.
    But as Cultures developed,human thought became more and more far reaching and deeper,the " moral compass " --esp. in modern times--seems( to a theist like me ) to have been inspired by God. There is no more any evolutionary need to protect human society from itself,rather it is as if God wants us to be more like it/her/him.There does appear to be a bigger plan of which we humans have no knowledge.
    We cannot ascribe human qualities or human failings to God.
    You are right when you say that God's goodness/any of God's actions is unknowable or rather unscrutable.Many saints say so. " God giveth and God taketh away,blessed be the name of God " or similar thoughts are there in every theology including Hindu theology.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 May '11 14:51
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Because we are creatures of sin will that be the case, you may as well cry
    foul if a life guard throws a drowning man a life preserver to stop him from
    drowning since if he rejects the life preserver he will die.
    Kelly
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 May '11 15:40
    If god operates by a moral compass that is incomprehensible to humans, then humans have no basis for claiming that god is morally good. The most that could be said is that god's goodness is unknowable.
    That is how faith in God's goodness differs from evidence-based belief. But I would agree that faith alone does not justify CLAIMING anything other than "I have faith that..." Theists who overlook this distinction are playing in the wrong sandbox.
  12. St. Peter's
    Moves
    30 May '11 16:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Yes, I cannot see that. Can you explain it?

[b]It is only in your irrational hatred of Jesus that you would make such a silly and ill thought remark

I do not hate Jesus. I just made an honest comment based on what I see. And as long as you resort to insults rather than actually explaining why you think I am incorrect, I will have to assume that it is just a knee jerk reaction on your part to something that you have no defense for.[/b]
    I do not hate Jesus. I just made an honest comment based on what I see.

your thoughts betray you young padawan
  13. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    30 May '11 17:462 edits
    Well it seems that in a lot of cases God bestows goodness on whom he will. Yet there are unexplainable things which God has allowed through out human history which well in my finite mind I can't explain. The book of Job raises these questions and well we can see God does not excuse himself to Job. He God operates with some type of moral compass which I would have to say is ultimately good.

Manny
  14. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    30 May '11 17:521 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Human life doesn't mean much outside of the concept of a creator. Who cares what happens to us - no one.

We happened by accident. We are bunch of random molecules who's only claim to fame is to defy the 2nd law of thermodynamics; and one day the flying spaghetti monster* will build a highway through our planet destroying us all in a microsecond. All ...[text shortened]... isation will be gone, and no one will give rats arse.

LOL 🙂 sorry I see the irony 🙂 If we are indeed a molecule just floating around and we are just an accident then truly we are this universes worst bastard child LOL

Manny
  15. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    30 May '11 18:24
    Originally posted by divegeester

We happened by accident. We are bunch of random molecules who's only claim to fame is to defy the 2nd law of thermodynamics; and one day the flying spaghetti monster* will build a highway through our planet destroying us all in a microsecond. All ...[text shortened]... isation will be gone, and no one will give rats arse.

I know you are just being humorous here, but, me not resisting being pedantic:

“...Human life doesn't mean much outside of the concept of a creator. Who cares what happens to us - no one. ...”

I care and I am sure most other atheists care what happens to us including caring what will happen to humanity in the long-run.

“....We are bunch of random molecules ...”

actually, we have some order/structure in our anatomy and even within our molecules.

“....who's only claim to fame is to defy the 2nd law of thermodynamics; ...”

I assume you are thinking about “order” and “disorder” in thermodynamics. But these words do not have the same meaning in thermodynamics as in everyday English so, you can have BOTH an Increase in NON-thermodynamic “order” (the more generic and vaguer meaning of “order” as defined in the English dictionary) AND a Decrease in Thermodynamic “order” (“order” as defined in the concept of Entropy) without contradiction.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree