1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 10:25
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    I did not read about this. But it is indeed an outrage if this has happened. It certainly is a shame on India. I will look up the hyperlink when I will go home. I think though that most such acts are crimes commited by criminals who do not bother about the religion of the victims.
    I think though that most such acts are crimes commited by criminals who do not bother about the religion of the victims.

That's exactly what the Syrian regime is saying as it massacres it's own people.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 10:30
    I did not read about this. But it is indeed an outrage if this has happened. It certainly is a shame on India. I will look up the hyperlink when I will go home. I think though that most such acts are crimes commited by criminals who do not bother about the religion of the victims.
    So there is a No True Sikh thing and a No True Hindu thing and a No True Muslim thing and even a No True Indian thing just as there is a No True Scotsman thing? It figures.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 10:40
    Hi rvsakhadeo, I truly appreciate your acknowledgement of this incident, India is so
    vast and diverse and the sons of the soil are zealous for their traditions, anything which
    is perceived to erode those traditions naturally instils suspicion and hostility, even if its
    wrongly perceived - regards to you and yours - robbie.
  4. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 10:57
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    [b]I think though that most such acts are crimes commited by criminals who do not bother about the religion of the victims.

That's exactly what the Syrian regime is saying as it massacres it's own people.[/b]
    An odious comparison it is to equate Syrian massacres with an isolated incident in India. I will read the hyperlink in the evening. If I find that the crime was motivated due to the criminal's religious hatred for the JW woman and her relative, I will apologize here.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 11:01
    An odious comparison it is to equate Syrian massacres with an isolated incident in India. I will read the hyperlink in the evening. If I find that the crime was motivated due to the criminal's religious hatred for the JW woman and her relative, I will apologize here.
    You missed the point. It was the comparison with the language used by you.
  6. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 11:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    So there is a No True Sikh thing and a No True Hindu thing and a No True Muslim thing and even a No True Indian thing just as there is a No True Scotsman thing? It figures.
    Pl.see my reply to Proper Knob. Instead of jumping to conclusions, pl.await my verification. We may belong to different faiths, but neither the common criminals nor their common victims carry cards announcing their religions.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 11:131 edit
    Pl.see my reply to Proper Knob. Instead of jumping to conclusions, pl.await my verification. We may belong to different faiths, but neither the common criminals nor their common victims carry cards announcing their religions.
    You were quick to make an absurd No True Scotsman generalization but then you act all miffed when someone is quick to point out your absurd No True Scotsman generalization. 😉
  8. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 19:42
    What makes you think that the people chanting the name of God are " nutty " ?
    I didn't say I thought they were nutty, I said they seemed a bit nutty to me. Couched in terms of their faith I'm sure it all makes perfect sense to them, and I have considerable respect for them and their ideology.
  9. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 02:27
    it is not a shame on india. it is a shame on humanity, that things like this can happen anywhere, anytime.
  10. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 06:54
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    I didn't say I thought they were nutty, I said they seemed a bit nutty to me. Couched in terms of their faith I'm sure it all makes perfect sense to them, and I have considerable respect for them and their ideology.
    In Hinduism chanting God's name or repetitively uttering the Gurumantra ( the word or group of words, usually salutations to Ram or Krishna or Shiva, as formally passed on by the Guru/ teacher to Shishya/ student) is considered to be a powerful part of Sadhana or Spiritual Study.
  11. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 15:23
    I saw the video on my home PC today. The video is broadcast in Kannada, a language of the State of Karnataka, which I unfortunately do not understand. However the write-up was quite clear. It is a shame that people should get assaulted for peaceful preaching.
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 18:22
    In Hinduism chanting God's name or repetitively uttering the Gurumantra ( the word or group of words, usually salutations to Ram or Krishna or Shiva, as formally passed on by the Guru/ teacher to Shishya/ student) is considered to be a powerful part of Sadhana or Spiritual Study.
    Yeah they told us something similar. Still seems pretty off the wall to me! No crazier'n kneeling and praying, or turning prayer wheels or sticking notes in a wall or etc. etc. etc. though I guess.
  13. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    09 Feb '12 05:36
    Yeah they told us something similar. Still seems pretty off the wall to me! No crazier'n kneeling and praying, or turning prayer wheels or sticking notes in a wall or etc. etc. etc. though I guess.
    Loud but rhythmic and tuneful chanting of the Gurumantra or other prayers, together with others, is to eventually give way to chanting the gurumantra in one's mind and alone. This way, the seeker should be able to first calm his mind and then hold his attention steady in front of the object of his devotion. It is a discipline/system in a way and needs persistence.
  14. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    09 Feb '12 20:34
    Loud but rhythmic and tuneful chanting of the Gurumantra or other prayers, together with others, is to eventually give way to chanting the gurumantra in one's mind and alone. This way, the seeker should be able to first calm his mind and then hold his attention steady in front of the object of his devotion. It is a discipline/system in a way and needs persistence.
    Indeed. Not unlike Buddhist prayer mantras. Like I said, I'm familiar with the idea, it just seems a little bit bonkers to me. Particularly when performed by a number of people in synchronisation. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I think it actually is bonkers - crikey, what do I know? - I'm just giving my ignorant and ill-informed impression.
  15. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    11 Feb '12 09:26
    Indeed. Not unlike Buddhist prayer mantras. Like I said, I'm familiar with the idea, it just seems a little bit bonkers to me. Particularly when performed by a number of people in synchronisation. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I think it actually is bonkers - crikey, what do I know? - I'm just giving my ignorant and ill-informed impression.
    A mass singing of prayers or chanting in praise of God could make an atheist particularly an egoistic atheist think of that group as bonkers-yes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree