1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    11 Feb '12 11:09
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    A mass singing of prayers or chanting in praise of God could make an atheist particularly an egoistic atheist think of that group as bonkers-yes.
    Again, I didn't say I thought they were bonkers, I said that to me (technically an atheist yes, but with reservations) the chanting (note what I say here - the chanting, not the chanters - I really don't think I can make this any clearer) seems a little crazy. Do you get it yet? Really no need to go getting all offended and post veiled insults.
  2. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    11 Feb '12 12:43
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Again, I didn't say I thought they were bonkers, I said that [b]to me (technically an atheist yes, but with reservations) the chanting (note what I say here - the chanting, not the chanters - I really don't think I can make this any clearer) seems a little crazy. Do you get it yet? Really no need to go getting all offended and post veiled insults.[/b]
    I have full respect for you and your views. I assert that I have no intention of insulting you. Chanting is an act indulged in by theists. An act cannot be bonkers or seem to be bonkers. The actors can be bonkers or seem to be bonkers. Such a view is perfectly possible for an atheist to take, especially if the atheist's ego prompts him to look upon theists as irrational or " bonkers ". Everyone whether theists or atheist has an ego. I hope this clarifies the point I made.
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    11 Feb '12 13:35
    I have full respect for you and your views. I assert that I have no intention of insulting you. Chanting is an act indulged in by theists. An act cannot be bonkers or seem to be bonkers. The actors can be bonkers or seem to be bonkers. Such a view is perfectly possible for an atheist to take, especially if the atheist's ego prompts him to look upon theist ...[text shortened]... rs ". Everyone whether theists or atheist has an ego. I hope this clarifies the point I made.
    An act cannot be bonkers or seem to be bonkers. The actors can be bonkers or seem to be bonkers.

Wrong. See below.

Such a view is perfectly possible for an atheist to take, especially if the atheist's ego prompts him to look upon theists as irrational or " bonkers "

It's nothing to do with the observer's religious background or ego. It's everything to do with the person's cultural and experiential background. In my experience, sane people don't sit around chanting the same words over and over again. It's just not something that happens in my culture. Therefore when I am exposed to it, it (the action) APPEARS to be bonkers. I am, however, quite mature and rational enough to realise that they are behaving in a way that is quite normal and reasonable to them and thus I in no way infer that they are bonkers.

Is this clear yet? I hope so, because I'm getting REALLY fed up trying to explain it to somebody who seems intent on deliberately misunderstanding what I'm saying.
  4. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    11 Feb '12 14:16
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    [b]An act cannot be bonkers or seem to be bonkers. The actors can be bonkers or seem to be bonkers.

Wrong. See below.

Such a view is perfectly possible for an atheist to take, especially if the atheist's ego prompts him to look upon theists as irrational or " bonkers "

It's nothing to do with the observer's religious background or ...[text shortened]... ain it to somebody who seems intent on deliberately misunderstanding what I'm saying.[/b]
    Let us not waste Internet time on this issue anymore. I urge you to visit this temple again. The time when there will be morning or evening AaratI which the devotees will be singing accompanied by harmonium and and the " tabla ". An Aarati is prayer song which may last about fifteen minutes or so. I am certain you will start liking the music.
  5. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    11 Feb '12 14:43
    Let us not waste Internet time on this issue anymore. I urge you to visit this temple again. The time when there will be morning or evening AaratI which the devotees will be singing accompanied by harmonium and and the " tabla ". An Aarati is prayer song which may last about fifteen minutes or so. I am certain you will start liking the music.
    I quite enjoyed the sounds and chanting from a purely musical perspective anyway. As I said, I came away with feelings of goodwill and respect towards the devotees and would be happy to visit again, and no doubt will do so on future school trips.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree