1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 17:47
    By a stroke of fortune (somebody got ill) I've managed to get myself on a school trip tomorrow to visit... a Krishna Temple! Should be interesting. I'll be sure to ask them about their attitude towards faith-based genocide and will update tomorrow evening.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 18:01
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    By a stroke of fortune (somebody got ill) I've managed to get myself on a school trip tomorrow to visit... a Krishna Temple! Should be interesting. I'll be sure to ask them about their attitude towards faith-based genocide and will update tomorrow evening.
    Just don't call it genocide when you ask. Nobody will admit to it by that name, even of they want to eliminate a religion or culture or ethnicity or evil force from the earth by any means necessary. Take your cues from the infamous Dec. 19 posting.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 22:20
    Its a pity its not a Sikh temple you might have got a free lunch
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 22:34
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Its a pity its not a Sikh temple you might have got a free lunch
    I've always gotten prasadum (a free lunch ) at all the Krshna temples I've been to.
    Have fun avalanchthecat!! Check out the mindless chanters running around. They always put a smile on my face. And say "Hare Krsna" to say "hello", thats about the minimum I do.
  5. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    04 Feb '12 15:43
    They did feed us, the food was great.

Asked about capital punishment. Was told that they allow that it may be a valid tool for government in some very unusual circumstances, although no religious person would be prepared to carry out the act (didn't press this, it took a long time to get this much of an answer).

Asked about Islam. Was told that there are many ways to god and all are valid. They did not (and i got the impression that they were sincere) have anything negative to say about Islam or any other religion. They clearly appreciated that terrorism and hate were related to extremism rather than type of faith.

Asked about 'vedic' society. He laughed and said that he didn't think such a thing could exist.

Very much enjoyed the visit, and although they did seem a bit nutty at times (chanting and what have you) they all came across as very loving and understanding. No dasa-esque bile whatsoever.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Feb '12 17:24
    Very much enjoyed the visit, and although they did seem a bit nutty at times (chanting and what have you) they all came across as very loving and understanding. No dasa-esque bile whatsoever.
    Did you think there might be? I know next to nothing about all this Hare Krsna/ vedic stuff, but I never once thought dasa represented anyone other than himself - and I somewhat doubt that he acts that way in person either.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Feb '12 22:47

Asked about capital punishment. Was told that they allow that it may be a valid tool for government in some very unusual circumstances, although no religious person would be prepared to carry out the act (didn't press this, it took a long time to get this much of an answer).

Asked about Islam. Was told that ...[text shortened]... e you) they all came across as very loving and understanding. No dasa-esque bile whatsoever.
    Despite Dasa trying to distance himself from the Krsnas and "false interpretations" , I cant help but feel he put down precisely those type of people.
    Generally very peaceful. Very accepting and giving. Not forceful or coercive.
    It is only sometimes that some of the younger ones have gotten a bit out of line, and even then the abberations were only minor and very seldom.
    Certainly I have never heard of any Krsnas calling for genocide. I have never heard of them trying to change the world as much as Dasa does.
  8. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    05 Feb '12 00:21
    if you want a more accurate answer, you'll have to sneak into the temple pretending to be one of them.
  9. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 05:29

Asked about Islam. Was told that ...[text shortened]... e you) they all came across as very loving and understanding. No dasa-esque bile whatsoever.
    What makes you think that the people chanting the name of God are " nutty " ?
  10. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 05:40
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    if you want a more accurate answer, you'll have to sneak into the temple pretending to be one of them.
    Do you think that the Hare Krishna Society is something like Ku Klux Klan or Taliban ? No Hindu organisation has ever considered violent means to preach the religion. There is nothing secret about Hinduism.
  11. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 08:41
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Do you think that the Hare Krishna Society is something like Ku Klux Klan or Taliban ? No Hindu organisation has ever considered violent means to preach the religion. There is nothing secret about Hinduism.
    i don't know this. i've never gone into a hindu temple disguised as a hindu to verify any of it. there have been reports of hindu violence against indian catholics.
  12. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 09:20
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    i don't know this. i've never gone into a hindu temple disguised as a hindu to verify any of it. there have been reports of hindu violence against indian catholics.
    You do not need a disguise to go into a Hindu temple. Maybe you will be barred from entering the sanctum sanctorum. Many westerners have visited temples to study the architecture or the carvings. While photography will be banned for all, Hindus or not, painting, sketching, surveying is seen to be favourite activities of the westerners. In the indian state of Odisha( aka Orissa ), there were cases of forcible/inducement led conversions to Christianity of the tribal people, some of whom reacted violently.
  13. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 09:51
    In view of the present day terrorist threat perception, security will require that you obtain prior permission from temple authorities and your belt, pen, camera etc.will have to be deposited before you enter the temple. But these things apply to all. So do visit a temple and only then decide whether Hindus are aliens from outer space or monsters.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 09:594 edits
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    You do not need a disguise to go into a Hindu temple. Maybe you will be barred from entering the sanctum sanctorum. Many westerners have visited temples to study the architecture or the carvings. While photography will be banned for all, Hindus or not, painting, sketching, surveying is seen to be favourite activities of the westerners. In the indian state ...[text shortened]... inducement led conversions to Christianity of the tribal people, some of whom reacted violently.
    Its not an isolated case rvsakhadeo, there are numerous instances of my own faith,
    Jehovahs witnesses being subject to violence and threats of violence in India, recently
    against a 60 year old women and her niece, Shame on India for this, the accusation of
    forced conversion is simply a fabrication.

YouTube
  15. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 10:21
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Its not an isolated case rvsakhadeo, there are numerous instances of my own faith,
    Jehovahs witnesses being subject to violence and threats of violence in India, recently
    against a 60 year old women and her niece, Shame on India for this, the accusation of
    forced conversion is simply a fabrication.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1AdfLj_CYQ
    I did not read about this. But it is indeed an outrage if this has happened. It certainly is a shame on India. I will look up the hyperlink when I will go home. I think though that most such acts are crimes commited by criminals who do not bother about the religion of the victims.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree