11 Mar '05 16:24
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Is 'One' a human?
    One is an entire race of people.
  2. Out there somewhere
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 16:261 edit
    Originally posted by Darfius
    One claims God invented everything and revealed some of it to them. I would be interested in seeing if maybe He did.
    Well it wasn't God who actually started the religion then, it was the person(s) that God spoke too.

At the end of the day, you still have to believe what they wrote, thus making the religion human. In my eyes anyway.

If we still had the original 10 commandments it would be a different story.
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 16:271 edit
    One is an entire race of people.
    i.e. Humans.

BTW, 'One' is singular.
  4. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 16:281 edit
    Originally posted by dk3nny
    Do i believe in christ? No.

Do i think there's a reason we're all here. Yes.

Do i think theres a higher power somewhere in this universe? Yes

Do i think i'll find out for certain beforei die? No.

Reason. just take a look at th ...[text shortened]... nted by humans for humans, ie. flawed or at best a good guess.

Danny: "... just take a look at the current world religions, they are all religions invented by humans for humans, ... "

ALL religions ? I wonder how you can be so sure ? Is your claim based on any evidence ? Can you present this evidence please ?
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 16:29
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Danny: "... just take a look at the current world religions, they are all religions invented by humans for humans, ... "

ALL religions ? I wonder how you can be so sure ? Is your claim based on any evidence ? Can you present this evidence please ?
    Jesus, Ivanhoe, we just went over this...

Who else besides humans would invent a religion?
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 16:30
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Jesus, Ivanhoe, we just went over this...

Who else besides humans would invent a religion?

Isn't that begging the question ?
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 16:39

Isn't that begging the question ?
    Religion was invented, started, expanded and developed by humans. To state that a God had his hand in it takes faith. But to those of us who would rather debate the facts, it takes a human vessel for God to do or say anything to us be it through scripture, prophecy, etc.
  8. Out there somewhere
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 16:40

Well Buddism was "invented" by the budda.

Islam was written by mohammad

The bible was written by a whole host of bearded sandel wearing blokes.

My point is that in any religion, at the end of the day we have to just take the word of some bloke who wrote the book or came up with the ideas.. Even if he does claim to have been told by god, we're still believing him, thus they are human.

Even if for the sake of this we beleive that God did actually talk to these guys, its still their interpretation of what god said to them..
  9. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 16:53

Cool. I will buy into what you are saying for now. Let's assume that any or all religions are given to us by their selected deity.

Which one? Why can't all of the respected religions of the world have had their respected gods hand down their book of knowledge? Why does there always have to be just one?
  10. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 22:42
    Originally posted by Joe Fist
    Cool. I will buy into what you are saying for now. Let's assume that any or all religions are given to us by their selected deity.

Which one? Why can't all of the respected religions of the world have had their respected gods hand down their book of knowledge? Why does there always have to be just one?
    Because the Christian God says He is the only one, and since He has never lied before, we have to assume He's telling the truth. Not to mention all other religion's holy books fall apart under scrutiny, which is why you guys and other atheists spend a large part of your time trying to disprove the Bible.
  11. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 22:49
    Because the Christian God says He is the only one, and since He has never lied before, we have to assume He's telling the truth. Not to mention all other religion's holy books fall apart under scrutiny, which is why you guys and other atheists spend a large part of your time trying to disprove the Bible.
    Well again I have heard your views and your arguement for Christianity. I think the Bible has as much and no more validity than any of the other holy books.

You haven't proven to me conclusively that Christ is God. In the end you asked me to use my logic to believe in it whereas you have not proven any reason to believe in it.

You have stated there is only one Christian God and I challenged you to prove it. I'm still not convinced.
  12. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 23:29
    Well again I have heard your views and your arguement for Christianity. I think the Bible has as much and no more validity than any of the other holy books.

You haven't proven to me conclusively that Christ is God. In the end you asked me to use my logic to believe in it whereas you have not proven any reason to believe in it.

You have stated there is only one Christian God and I challenged you to prove it. I'm still not convinced.
    So you believe the book of mormon which states that Adam became God is just as valid as the Bible which states that God has always existed?

You should be honest, rather than bias.
  13. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 23:36
    So you believe the book of mormon which states that Adam became God is just as valid as the Bible which states that God has always existed?

You should be honest, rather than bias.
    I am being completely honest and you should not make assumptions. Find one conversation that I have endorsed the Book of Mormon? Find one conversation where I have endorsed any holy book over another? I haven't. I said, the Bible has as much and no more validity then any other holy book. For all I know, the mormons could be right. I don't wish to discredit them and, as far as I know but I can't say for sure, I have not heard any mormon condemn for not being mormon and assuring me I am damned for Hell.
  14. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 23:40
    I am being completely honest and you should not make assumptions. Find one conversation that I have endorsed the Book of Mormon? Find one conversation where I have endorsed any holy book over another? I haven't. I said, the Bible has as much and no more validity then any other holy book. For all I know, the mormons could be right. I don't wish to di ...[text shortened]... , I have not heard any mormon condemn for not being mormon and assuring me I am damned for Hell.
    Answer the question, please. Do you find the book of mormon which states that Adam became God to be just as valid as the Bible which states that God has always existed? If so, why?
  15. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 23:491 edit
    Answer the question, please. Do you find the book of mormon which states that Adam became God to be just as valid as the Bible which states that God has always existed? If so, why?
    I did but to be clear yes I find the book of Mormon to be just as valid. Why? Because I don't believe either one of them. I think I have been quite clear on this. I don't believe the Bible, the book of Mormon, the Koran, the book of Buddha (if such a thing exists), or any book to be the absolute authority on God.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree