1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    10 Feb '12 19:35
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    my very basic knowledge of the bible tells me to turn the other cheek and that "thou shalt not kill" how do christians justify going to war. both bush and blair were christians. what about the death penalty? it seems to be more popular in the more god fearing states of america. isnt this in direct conflict with the commandment?

ive got a feeling some ...[text shortened]... have read george 3:12" thou can kill with as long as you have an m16 and a gung-ho attitude"
    Doesn't the Bible say there will always be wars. Thus, humankind will never erase all war. Wars will always be with us, as says the Bible?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Feb '12 20:27
    my very basic knowledge of the bible tells me to turn the other cheek and that "thou shalt not kill" how do christians justify going to war. both bush and blair were christians. what about the death penalty? it seems to be more popular in the more god fearing states of america. isnt this in direct conflict with the commandment?

ive got a feeling some ...[text shortened]... have read george 3:12" thou can kill with as long as you have an m16 and a gung-ho attitude"
    Wars are necessary in this world we live in, because of evil tyrants that
    must be overthrown by force to allow freedom and liberty to mankind.
    It will remain that way until Christ returns to gather His elect and cast
    Satan and all evil into the lake of fire.
  3. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    10 Feb '12 20:33
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Wars are necessary in this world we live in, because of evil tyrants that
    must be overthrown by force to allow freedom and liberty to mankind.
    It will remain that way until Christ returns to gather His elect and cast
    Satan and all evil into the lake of fire.
    Its nice to have something to look forward to, better get yourself some heat resistant water wings.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    10 Feb '12 20:405 edits
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    swissgambit problemist said you would say that. can you explain the difference?
    Murder is unjustified, immoral arbritrary killing e.g. acting out a first person shooter video game in real life by shooting innocent people for entertainment.

This is the Hebrew word used for murder/kill:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D7%A8%D7%A6%D7%97

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_shall_not_kill#Retzach
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Feb '12 21:33
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    "Thou shalt not kill" is not a good translation. "Thou shalt not murder" is more accurate.
    Basically, the difference is between justified and unjustified homicide. But this does open up the discussion to what justifies killing, which requires -- Heaven forbid -- thinking.
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    10 Feb '12 22:03
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Murder is unjustified, immoral arbritrary killing e.g. acting out a first person shooter video game in real life by shooting innocent people for entertainment.

This is the Hebrew word used for murder/kill:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D7%A8%D7%A6%D7%97

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_shall_not_kill#Retzach
    Not meaning to sound flippant but if you do it for money but dont enjoy it is that okay, went to the link, is this okay; "those cities outside of the Promised Land that resist should be besieged, and once they fall, the male population should be exterminated, but the women and children should be left alive (20:12-15)"
  7. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    10 Feb '12 22:17

Hi I agree with moon. The Bible does say there will be wars and rumors of war. I don't think there's any way around it.

What do you think would have happened to the U.S if it were a pacifist nation when it was attacked by the Japanese Empire in 1941?

What would have happened to the world if the U.S. had not entered WWII at all?

I believe that if the U.S were a pacifist nation back in 1941 at least 90 % of today's world population would be blonde haired and blue eyed.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Feb '12 23:27
    Originally posted by boonon
    Hi I agree with moon. The Bible does say there will be wars and rumors of war. I don't think there's any way around it.

What do you think would have happened to the U.S if it were a pacifist nation when it was attacked by the Japanese Empire in 1941?

What would have happened to the world if the U.S. had not entered WWII at all?

I believe that if the ...[text shortened]... back in 1941 at least 90 % of today's world population would be blonde haired and blue eyed.
    "What do you think would have happened to the U.S if it were a pacifist nation when it was attacked by the Japanese Empire in 1941?"

What-if history is touchy. A pacifist US?

No attack of Pearl Harbor by Japan because a pacifist US would not have an armada based there. Japan might have even wanted trade talks. After all, a pacifist US could not enforce the oil embargo they placed on Japan before the war. (It was placed by China, the United States, Britain, and the Dutch.)

This is a stretch in this forum. Sorry.
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Feb '12 01:26
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I suggest that you go get yourself a life.
    in what way do you think i am lacking a life? what should i do to acquire a life, what do you think my life currently consists of?
    all this is off topic my friend, if you are unhappy with me why dont we have a private chat? you can pm any time.
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Feb '12 01:40
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    No moral justification for war, violence foments more violence
    right on brother!!! never a wiser word spoken. but robbie!! it doesnt explain why christians go to war!
  11. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Feb '12 01:46
    right on brother!!! never a wiser word spoken. but robbie!! it doesnt explain why christians go to war!
    no christian has ever gone to war.
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '12 02:08
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I would say there are more Christian pacifists than secular ones. The Amish and Mennonites for example.
    Well yes but you do say a lot of crap.

Are you talking proportionately?

Or total?

There are an awful lot of Christians around the world.

Also... do you have any evidence for this assertion at all or are you talking out your arse
    again and just making stuff up to back up your love affair with the damn Amish and Hutterites?
    (and now the Mennonites... do you just have a fetish for people with -ites in the name?)

Finally... Even if it were actually true (and you can demonstrate it) that there are more Christian
    pacifists than secular pacifists... How is that in any way relevant to a discussion as to whether or
    not the bible supports war or not?

That different people interpret the bible in different ways in different numbers isn't a valid argument
    for any particular interpretation being right...

And secularists don't give a damn what it says because the words of peasant goat herders from 2000+
    years ago are not relevant to us. (Other than caring what theists think it says and then use as a basis
    for decisions)
    And secularists being pacifists or not has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with what the bible has
    to say on the subject.

So did you have any point to your post other than to peddle your ridiculous love affair with backwards arse
    American religious sects?
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '12 02:08
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    no christian has ever gone to war.
    I smell a no true Scotsman argument....
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Feb '12 02:16
    in what way do you think i am lacking a life? what should i do to acquire a life, what do you think my life currently consists of?
    all this is off topic my friend, if you are unhappy with me why dont we have a private chat? you can pm any time.
    No thanks. I have a full life. Cant accommodate you in it.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Feb '12 02:18
    Should the world have allowed Hitler to overrun Europe without declaring war on him ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree